Forums

Help › Forums

Callaway steelhead L85

Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:29 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WhiteHartPain
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2018 2:22 PM

I have recently purchased the above irons and I'm regularly overshooting the pin by 6 to 10 yds. I have always used the formula of wind speed divide by 2 convert to yds and up hill divide by 2, downhill divide by 3. Does this need to be amended with the high trajectory irons. Comments please

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2018 6:34 PM

WhiteHartPain:

I have recently purchased the above irons and I'm regularly overshooting the pin by 6 to 10 yds. I have always used the formula of wind speed divide by 2 convert to yds and up hill divide by 2, downhill divide by 3. Does this need to be amended with the high trajectory irons. Comments please

I can't say I really understand what this means. If you're simply converting wind speed to yardage, you're going to have problems. A 15 mph wind is going to affect a 200-yard shot far more (twice as much depending on other factors) than a 100-yard shot.

As to wind and uphill or downhill, there's no real correlation I know of. For uphill shots, I add a yard for every 3 feet and I subtract a yard for every 4 feet of downhill elevation change.

If you just purchased the irons, you need to map them or find someone else's numbers and go from there. Spend some time say at BPB #10 and #11 in low-wind conditions seeing how far each club travels. Once you have this data, you have a baseline to begin adjusting based on elevation and wind.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2018 9:13 PM
    This is not rocket science. If your new clubs are longer than your former ones, great. That's how it should be. Now just back off a little or use a bit more backspin until you get it dialed in/
  • SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Tue, Jun 12 2018 10:09 PM

Good day

May be you not calculate your news Irons can have more spin?

I said, because I don't decide if buy these clubs, my G25 works perfect yet...

• WhiteHartPain
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 2:16 AM

Apologies if I was a bit vague.  What I'm basically asking is do the high trajectory irons react differently in the wind.  ?   Thanks

• Jadlong
    273 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 5:17 AM

Why don`t you just have fun and play the game.

• SauloMagno
    57 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 10:33 AM

WhiteHartPain:

Apologies if I was a bit vague.  What I'm basically asking is do the high trajectory irons react differently in the wind.  ?   Thanks

Very diferent then med trajectory. High trajectory with tailwind go more far and with headwind go more near.

Thats because high trajectory means more time in flight and wind affect so much

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jun 13 2018 12:34 PM

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2018 9:44 AM

I recommend you "chart" all new irons on a level par 4 like Kiawah number 1. In practice mode, set to low wind and hit each club several times, using mulligan feature. Then write down (chart) distances for each club- I do this for no spin, full bs, and topspin. Then you will know how far your irons will go for each scenario. 

• Faz2000
    93 Posts
    Thu, Jun 14 2018 11:22 PM

I have used these irons (Cally Steelhead L85s) for the maybe 5 weeks or so, having upgraded from the L59 Pings too. On paper they have better specs in every regard, and I find this to be true in reality too.

A few things to consider - yes, higher, longer clubs will likely be effected by wind more. Ball spends more time in air = more impact from wind. Recognise also these clubs have more SPIN than the previous clubs, which means the amount of spin you put on the ball has a greater impact to trajectory, distance and what happens when it lands. I think this is one of the trickier things to tune in, but also gives you more "play" or "workability" in your shot with higher spin clubs.

Kudos to you if you have the patience and energy to map clubs by bashing balls up and down a flat fairway. I won't beat you, as I just play 'em and get used to them. I find all club changes take some time to adjust to, even if the new ones are "better".

Obviously the other major factor here is the ball you use, and of course the other environmentals like green speed, tees, wind, etc.

• PAGES
RSS