Forums

Help › Forums

Is this "approach" an oversight, or common knowledge?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 5 2009 12:49 PM (28 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 7:26 PM

I'm probably not the only one who's discovered this, but I just recently tried it - and it helps! I searched "approach flop shot", and didn't find any mention of it...

Let me first go on record as saying that I don't believe it is cheating, but it does make for a more "informed" approach shot.

Let's say you're 90 yards away from the hole... and you've played this hole before, but don't remember the slope of the green. You'd like to put the ball where it has a chance to roll towards the hole, but, with the chosen club in your hands, the target indicator doesn't open-up the "putting grid" when you click on it (either in normal, or zoom-view).

No problem - just choose "flop" temporarily and another club will automatically be chosen - then, with the flop shot chosen, the grid is visible. It may be small, just like your ability to read the green from that distance would be on a real course, but the blue/black/red features of the grid can be looked-at before deciding where you'd like to land your shot. After looking at the grid, don't forget to re-select the proper club, and shot.

When I'm out on the real course, I can see the slope of most greens I'm shooting at, why not be able to do it here?

So... do others of you think this could be perceived as using an unfair advantage, or is it just a good way to be able to have some idea of the slope of the green, while setting-up your approach shot? Is it a "glitch" in the game, or is it here to be used?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 7:38 PM

Hi Pug,

Cheating ? Definately not.

I must admit I havent used that one, but maybe I will in the future?? The only real problem you have is to remember to go back and reselect the correct club for the shot.

But, cheating or unfair advantage - certainly not. Every player has the same option if he/she knows about it and wants to use it.

Cheers Doug

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 2:28 AM

Thanks for the tip.  I'd like to here a logical explanation as to how this technique is anything but the intelligent use of what is available to everyone.  It is definitely something good to know and it could be a big advantage when the WGT starts moving the pins around and gives us more courses to play. 

Joey

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 4:25 AM

It's not cheating.

The acquisition of information does not constitute cheating.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 5:05 AM

Agreed. This is having the proper tools And knowing How to use them. As you say, when playing real golf, you can see the breaks and can even walk up on the green to scope it out. Another thing you can do ( maybe not as helpful) is switch to putter and zoom or reverse  for a worms eye veiw without the grid. Depending on the distance ( I think it`s ca.40yds.) you can select chip to get the "reverse" option with a grid before pitching or even a full shot etc.. GL

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 5:29 AM

cheating , aboslutely not.

but until they give us different pin locations, i myself have no need for this...i can recite to you in my sleep how all 36 greens slope to the current pins...as can many others here.

a good tip to share for sure.

gl

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 5:30 AM

molideha:
    i can recite to you in my sleep how all 36 greens slope to the current pins...

You can??? You've barely been here a month.

I just have them written down. :-]

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 5:40 AM

sabbath270:
    You can??? You've barely been here a month.

transitioning to WGT is almost seemless after playing Links for 13 years....but hey, thats way off topic isn't it?

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 6:34 AM

I played links too (back in the 90s), but I'm not sure what the similar mechanics have to do with rote memorization of 36 green layouts in 30 days, unless Links has the ocean and black courses available that you played very often?

Anyway... :]

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Tue, Sep 29 2009 7:22 AM

do we not all remember what we choose to remember?...i'm actually perplexed that people can play the same 36 holes for months and not know how to approach these pins.

BPB #2 hit short and allow to roll

BPB #11 carry pin high

kiawah #2 miss pin high right or have a putt from he!!

kiawah #18 miss pin high right or risk falling off the green left.

i could go on but you get the point.

and if you played online Links in the 90's maybe you remember JoeDude's ladder..i had over 1000 members in 1997.

gl

RSS