Forums

Help › Forums

Overall Player Ranking by #

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 25 2009 1:44 PM (9 replies)
  • Keemo
    9 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:31 AM

This one may have been suggested already but should be easy to do and it provides a decent reward system for playing well.

Institute an overall numbered ranking system for all players.

Instead of just knowing rank like Hack, Amateur, Pro, etc... add a number ranking.

It would be great for a player to know how they are stacking up against other players. For example, it would be great to know if I am ranked #1342 in the tour and then after a good round see the ranking rise to #1277.

There are not a ton of rewards built into this games and this is a simple way to provide a little incentive to do better.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:59 AM

Yeah, I like the sound of that. That way it might stop quitters as well as they don't know what kind of round they have to have to improve their ranking. It would bring some of the fun back for some of us.

WGT, I hope you're listening! This person has a good idea!

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:13 AM

This would be nice and fairly easy to do I would think.  I have given up on any hope of doing something to penalize the 'cheater's' who I frankly think mainly cheat themselves.  I know there are programs available to cheat with, slow down your computer, etc.  However I feel that as in real golf you get what you ask for.  If I am paired with a player in a real golf tournament and we both have a 5 handicap but I know that he takes mulligans, gimmes, moves the ball in the fairway, etc., you can bet that I know my 5 handicap is at least 2 or 3 strokes better than his.  These are the first guys that complain about your handicap being too low when they are the problem.  I would love to see a penalty imposed on those who quit games, maybe posting a round 4 strokes over their current average.  I was a member of a course a number of years ago that did something like this.. when you checked in to play, your name was recorded, if you didn't turn your card in to the golf pro he automatically recorded a round of even par for you or 4 strokes under your handicap, whichever was more of a penalty.  Today of course we have computer postings but on WGT something could be done to penalize these folks.  Since the prizes are pretty small, cheating doesn't matter that much now but it is sort of frustrating to see people whom you know are not gaining their scores properly.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 10:55 AM

This idea would only promote quitting. If a player might drop in overall ranking by posting a round even the same as their average it would be chaos. 

And heaven help us if there were rewards for being a higher ranked player.

• Keemo
    9 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 11:45 AM

I was not thinking of there being a real "reward" tied to your placement, other than say bragging rights.

I guess I was thinking of it mainly as a reference to gauge how you are doing in relation to the other players. Similar to the Official World Golf Rankings. Just an easy way at a glance to see how everyone stacks up.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 11:50 AM

Join the Ladder.

Ladder

Vitaj

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 12:12 PM

Soulcatcher:
    Join the Ladder. 

Ladder

What Soulcatcher said.   ^^^

We're waiting for you and we're ranked!

Have a nice day.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:25 PM

well, its gonna be hard to be the top ranked pro when you have 3 pages of players all between 66.51 and 66.59

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 2:05 PM

I had actually tried to start a ranking system based on scoring average a few weeks ago - I still have the list (way out of date by now) but I never got around to ordering it into an actual rankings. I think anyone who wants to try building a system about average would be crazy and would have to have a lot of time on their hands, but it would be a very rewarding experience and would be much appreciated by WGTers.

• Keemo
    9 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 1:44 PM

Thanks for the invite Soulcatcher. I'll swing over and take a look. (Pun intended)

As far as the development of this ranking goes, I would think that this would be fairly easy for the developers of WGT to do.

I would be almost certain that everyone's average is stored in the WGT database. It would have to be info order for them to calculate and display the average to us all the time.  At that point is a matter the WGT programmers creating a query that sorts the results numerical ascending and we have our overall ranking. (I know this is probably a simplified version of the process but you get the idea)

Molideha, you are right there are going to be a ton of people between 66.51 and 66.59. However, that is just fine. If that is representative of the scores, than that is how it would be. You bring up the idea of having 3 pages of people between those numbers, what about just putting the ranking number next to your average? It just is another way to define our status in this golf tour.

For example, right now, where ever my name is it reads:

Keemo - Pro. 74.1.

It could read:

Keemo - Pro. 74.1 -  #12,234

(yeah, I'm not very good yet)

Anyway, you get the idea. It should be all very simple to implement.

Lastly, this really is not any different than what WGT is already doing when ranking a tournament. It is really just a matter of applying that same idea to the overall tour as well.

Well, I should go hit the ball instead of talking about and get that average down a bit!

RSS