Forums

Help › Forums

Approach shot tips

Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:50 AM (20 replies)
  • GrampaD26354
    17 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 3:47 PM
    Hello all, apparently there's not a forum for asking questions on how to improve one's game, so I believe that this forum is the best place to post my question... My drives are very good, no problem with them. My putts will always be crappy because at my level good putters just aren't available, so there's nothing I can do about that, except to improve my approach shots. I have a couple of questions on approach shots to the hole, both on and off the green. Suppose your lie is off the green, and the green in front of you is protected by a berm, where the other, downhill side is not gradual. What happens is that my shot will smack the top of the berm, then go flying down the other side. Now, if the green is Tournament or Championship, the ball will zip to the other side of the green no matter how big the green is and no matter how much spin I put on the ball. So my question to the Legend and Champion players is this - how do you play an approach shot like that? Now, suppose your lie is on the green. But the putt you have to make is so complex that you'd rather not putt to get close to the hole. You can't flop because flop shots are very poor on the green. No other shots amount to much except the chip shot. So, I've tried chip shots - but if the upslope is of a certain steepness, the game engine will take LOTS of power off your shot, and the ball barely moves. If however the upslope is NOT of that certain steepness - if you judge wrong and smack the ball like it WAS a certain steepness - well, you get it. So my question to the Legend and Champion players is this - how can you tell if the upslope steepness for a chip shot attempt on the green is steep enough to where you really have to smack the ball? Thanx for any and all replies...
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:24 PM
    Scenario 1: How close to the green are you?

Scenario 2: The Cleveland 64 degree wedge will hit a full shot @ 100% about 30 yards on the green. Experiment on St. Andrews's large greens for what kind of roll you'll get.
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:28 PM
    To your first question, I use the flop shot, with full back spin. It's still going to run out, but not as bad. Question 2, try a 60deg. Wedge, you have to hit the ball two times the distance ( in yards, not feet) don't use back spin, just hit it. I generally don't use this shot for under 30 yards, which is actually a distance of 40 to 45 foot putt. But works well for lots longer putts. You will have to map your distances for your wedge, but it's a great shot saver. Also you MUST be on the green for this to work, not the fringe, definitely on the green. Good luck to you. Lucky
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 4:44 PM
    GrampaD26354:
    So my question to the Legend and Champion players is this - how do you play an approach shot like that?
    Chip and have it roll down or feather a pitch. Leave the pin in and hit it. The flop is a good option but is still going to roll. If you're in rough, the spin won't do anything but if you're on the fairway, that 64w pitch with full back spin is hugely controllable. The chip is too if you don't have to worry about carry.

Question--Why do you only have 2 wedges?

GrampaD26354:
    how can you tell if the upslope steepness for a chip shot attempt on the green is steep enough to where you really have to smack the ball?

This is a bad habit to get into. It's a gamer move, learn to putt those. The putting CTTH is a great place to do that.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2017 11:07 PM
    GrampaD26354:
    My putts will always be crappy because at my level good putters just aren't available
    *rubs my eyes*
    What are you missing at L91, with a L89 Method putter in the bag?
    Also, vf greens for TPs aren't that difficult, just learn them, get some methodic approach to putting!
    The putter holds the putter, both must be adequate - the Nike certainly is!
  • GrampaD26354
    17 Posts
    Thu, Oct 19 2017 1:09 PM
    Yes sir, Mr. Woods, I will try to routinely sink 120' belly putts for eagles, just like you do! LOL
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 4:13 AM
    If you routinely have 120 ft putts, perhaps you need to work on your approach shots. Looking at your stats, you have 999 ranked rounds and your ADP is 24 feet. While cumulative from when you started playing, that's still very high. The rest of your approach stats are of a same caliber. Up to you of course.
  • alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 5:54 AM
    You hit the nail, phred!
    GrampaD26354:
    Yes sir, Mr. Woods,
    You are sporting his picture, not us!
    That post certainly shows that you are here for ranting only and refuse to think of learning. EOD.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 6:43 AM
    GrampaD26354:
    Yes sir, Mr. Woods, I will try to routinely sink 120' belly putts for eagles, just like you do! LOL

How it's done.  126 feet with a level 92 putter.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 8:00 AM
    GrampaD26354:
    You need to get some things mapped. Only have your stats and this thread but clearly you are way too far off (I exclude medical issues stopping you getting anywhere near the ding for this). If you like wedging from long distances it's OK, BUT I would agree to learn to putt. Some basic knowledge of roll for a given green speed, some common sense with intertia those 120" putts should be very close more often than not. 120" should also not be the norm anyway obviously. Just for now I would say avoid your 10' scale (need to realise that can need a bit more hammering with the Nike putters from memory). Where possible stick to the 20" scale or nearest to (depth wise after it) that you are comfortable with............
RSS