Help › Forums

Approach shot tips

Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:50 AM (20 replies)
  • GrampaD26354
    17 Posts
    Fri, Oct 20 2017 10:10 AM
    YankeeJim:
    GrampaD26354:
    Yes sir, Mr. Woods, I will try to routinely sink 120' belly putts for eagles, just like you do! LOL

How it's done.  126 feet with a level 92 putter.  :-)

See, if this was real golf, this would be like Dustin Johnson flaming me, an occasional club player, for not being as good as him. And I suspect that WGT developers encourage this, to..."shut us up". I will NEVER be this good no matter how much I practice, which is why I wish that WGT had leagues, where memberships would be strictly enforced. Godlike players like this in the top league could have galleries of WGT members following them around, they would compete for huge credit sums... Just like the pros do. The rest of us would be in milder leagues where we could be successful too, at our level. That is how the real golfing world is set up. People like Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus - they are born, then made.
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 1:59 AM
    With all due respect, and I think he will agree with me, YankeeJim is not a "Godlike" player. He is a very good player. I myself am a better putter because my CC has a monthly Pitch and Putt Tournament using the Best of Putting CTTH with random conditions.

This forces you to learn how to make better attempts on those longer putts, and to adjust for different green speeds. It was suggested before that you use it to practice. I would second that recommendation. Keep notes for aim point and power of shot for the different stimps and learn to adjust for them. Up to you.

Do or no do, there is no try.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 6:17 AM
    phred952:
    With all due respect, and I think he will agree with me, YankeeJim is not a "Godlike" player. He is a very good player
    Totally agree, I'm about as average a Champion tier player as there is. The irony here is I was a Legend when I made that putt years ago. It's not about how good you are, it's about how you learn the game. :-)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 8:06 AM
    Go with the God like I think. Monotheism has had it's day in the sun anyway:)
  • GolfingSeti
    92 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 2:41 PM
    YankeeJim:
    GrampaD26354:
    Yes sir, Mr. Woods, I will try to routinely sink 120' belly putts for eagles, just like you do! LOL

It's been awhile, but played with a dude that made nearly the same putt, same hole / green anyway. But way behind where you are, nearly as far left of that green as possible, and putting to the other pin location on the right 30 - 40ft of the one pictured. He drove the green and caught the hill behind and left of you, then rolled far left edge green. Think I already said that, anyway, he made it for Eagle 300 + feet, was awesome...
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 4:47 PM
    GolfingSeti:
    It's been awhile, but played with a dude that made nearly the same putt, same hole / green anyway

The speed is the key. There are a lot of holes where, if you get the speed right, the ball feeds to the hole. CBay #2 is a really good example.

Let's face it, making putts like that are an accident, you would most certainly be happy with a 2 putt. :-)

• GolfingSeti
    92 Posts
    Sat, Oct 21 2017 7:02 PM
    YankeeJim:
    GolfingSeti:
    It's been awhile, but played with a dude that made nearly the same putt, same hole / green anyway

The speed is the key. There are a lot of holes where, if you get the speed right, the ball feeds to the hole. CBay #2 is a really good example.

Let's face it, making putts like that are an accident, you would most certainly be happy with a 2 putt. :-)

Oh, for sure, ain't no doubt there. It was still incredible to witness, and I believe I was more stoked about the whole thing than he! Wish I could remember who it was, because he saved ( naturally ) that shot/putt.
  • Santiago124
    157 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 6:51 AM
    HI YankeeJim, I too have the same challenge with my approach shots and as I observed my game to level off at Legend 92 and get worse through time... I decided to take a hiatus...a long one in fact, just to allow myself to UNLEARN my old habits and techniques. I just returned to the game about a couple of months ago to RELEARN the game and allow new habits to set in but the results I get have not been any better yet. Ive experimented on different conditions for shots and clubs that I wouldnt have chosen or taken in the past only to realize that the BASICS learned still hold more truth than not. I was fortunate to have met more helpful higher-tiered players who mentored me before, to mention my Top 3, MarkStanlea , Timmytoastman, Goldeena (Thanks to all of you!!!) but who I know would be let down by my static performance since I turned Legend with a 64 ave....to a fantastic 81 ave today. :-( I think most would agree with what I see from other players with better equipment and higher quality balls that when you become good, you can be better by upgrading one's equipment up until you find a set that translates your game more consistently. I cannot help but say that true to the real sport, better equipment has a major role in higher performance so no matter how hard I try , without upgrading my set, I will remain as an outlier in my Tier. In closing, I'd like to share the longest putt I made in the CTTH Challenge which I immersed myself long and harden enough to Ace all the holes and be happy to have saved the most memorable shots on my wall since 2011. http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=33df6dd6-4a7c-4757-886b-a11e0032bf10 Thank you!! Xanti
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 8:33 AM
    GrampaD26354:
    YankeeJim:
    GrampaD26354:

See, if this was real golf, this would be like Dustin Johnson flaming me, an occasional club player, for not being as good as him. And I suspect that WGT developers encourage this, to..."shut us up". I will NEVER be this good no matter how much I practice, which is why I wish that WGT had leagues, where memberships would be strictly enforced. Godlike players like this in the top league could have galleries of WGT members following them around, they would compete for huge credit sums... Just like the pros do. The rest of us would be in milder leagues where we could be successful too, at our level. That is how the real golfing world is set up. People like Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus - they are born, then made.
    Long putts are always just luck. I made a 134' & it was luck. Plain & simple.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 22 2017 9:49 AM
    Santiago124:
    I cannot help but say that true to the real sport, better equipment has a major role in higher performance so no matter how hard I try , without upgrading my set, I will remain as an outlier in my Tier.
    I disagree with you here. Yes, the better equipment can make you a better golfer but if one doesn't manage courses properly, it's all for show. Where one golfer can stop a ball on a dime, another might have to roll up to that point. One is much easier than the other but the result is the same if done properly.

You're handicapped a bit because you don't play a lot but you definitely have decent equipment. You might consider trading that HB out for a 60 degree wedge, though. This will help you get to shorter putts and more GIRS. I think you're better than you're thinking, you just need to play smarter than the other guy. ;-)

RSS