Forums

Help › Forums

Ball distance chart

Tue, Sep 26 2017 11:28 PM (7 replies)
  • Chicubs10
    24 Posts
    Sat, Sep 23 2017 1:48 PM

Anyone know of a ball distance comparison chart?  I've seen the pro shop comparison table, which is great.  For example how far does the Srixon Z-Star level 11 go vs a Callaway Chrome Soft Ball level 43.  The Srixon has a distance of 2.0 vs 3.5 on the Callaway.

Thanks all.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Sep 23 2017 5:46 PM

I have never seen anyone post a chart.  However, the consensus is that each dot of ball distance equates to 1% more travel.  So the Srixons with 2.0 used with a 100 yd Cleveland wedge will travel 102 yds.  A Cally L43 with 3.5 would travel 103.5 yds.  All of this is in a perfect world of course. 

• Pingkin
    512 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 5:27 PM

I'm pretty sure distance stat on balls only applies to drives not other clubs.Spin does affect them all..and will also have an effect on distance.I could be wrong but the way i see things.

I use the srixons ..when i switch to a ball with .5 more distance i usually gain about 4 yrds on a drive using a Bertha.So you might get another 20 or so yrds with a very topflight ball. 180 credits srixons v 750-850 credit balls.Not sure if anyone has tried a comparison this is just an estimate.

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 7:18 PM

Distance rating is a % I believe for every club bar the putter.

So if you using a ball with 5 dist. your 100 yard wedge will go 105 from the start dot position.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Sep 25 2017 10:21 PM

Or thereabouts. It isn't quite that simple, but yes, the balls and clubs have to be mapped together in order to get it close on a consistent basis.

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 4:11 PM

Distance is only affected when using a driver at full swing. Many people post and believe it affects every club but that would be a total mess. so every time you change your ball all your club distances change? No they don't but you need to consider the different spin rates of the balls, which will affect the carry and roll. If indeed the ball distance would affect all your clubs, what sense would it make to have fixed distances indicated for each club? the game would become pretty unplayable. So yes, distances change on all clubs based on the ball you use, but that is due to spin rates not distance on the ball.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 9:22 PM

sky0diver:

Distance is only affected when using a driver at full swing. Many people post and believe it affects every club but that would be a total mess. so every time you change your ball all your club distances change? No they don't but you need to consider the different spin rates of the balls, which will affect the carry and roll. If indeed the ball distance would affect all your clubs, what sense would it make to have fixed distances indicated for each club? the game would become pretty unplayable. So yes, distances change on all clubs based on the ball you use, but that is due to spin rates not distance on the ball.

I have found that my distance of all my clubs changes with different balls using the same spin setting, like 0% spin or full BS for example.  I've also noticed using the shot tracker that different balls have a different apex under the same shot conditions.  My personal experience is that each club and ball combination has different distances, confirmed by personal mapping.

• sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2017 11:28 PM

I guess the cub ball combination may have an impact but I have not seen any major changes, other than on spin settings where one ball greatly has a different yardage with an iron or a wedge. I changed balls sometimes in the past without noticing a real distance gain or loss.... just tried again a 180 yard shot off the tee with two different balls and the difference on two dinged shots with no spin applied (one ball 1 dot distance, the other 4.5dots) was within 4 feet, so really not a real difference at all...

RSS