Forums

Help › Forums

Charlottesville

Tue, Aug 29 2017 3:35 PM (190 replies)
  • alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 12:24 PM

1 + 10 x 2 = 21

Four horseshoes are 8, two boots are two.

But, without YJ I would not have distinguished between one and two boots or horseshoes :(

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 12:28 PM

There's only 2 horseshoes but looking at it like you did, is a pair of horseshoes really 2+2 because they're stuck together, unlike the boots? You don't know because there's no indication they can be split up.

Add 21 to the list.  LOL

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 1:26 PM

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 1:39 PM

YankeeJim:
    There's only 2 horseshoes

In line 2, it's 2+2 horseshoes, worth 8.

Horseshoes and boots overlap in a very similar way IMHO.

And, he who shows "22" should show the equation (for my simple mind to understand).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 1:43 PM

alosso:
    he who shows "22" should show the equation (for my simple mind to understand).

He's not discounting the single boot, he's treating it like Jimbog did or didn't follow MDAS.

p.s., I think your 21 is the right answer. I was all wet in the thinking.  :-(

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 2:39 PM

alosso:

YankeeJim:
    There's only 2 horseshoes

In line 2, it's 2+2 horseshoes, worth 8.

Horseshoes and boots overlap in a very similar way IMHO.

And, he who shows "22" should show the equation (for my simple mind to understand).

1+10=11

11x2=22

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 3:28 PM

I agree that 21 is correct.

1 horse = 10

2 horseshoes = 4

2 boots = 2

The important point is to follow the order of operations.

1 + 10 x 2 = 21

First you multiply 10 x 2, then you add 1.

alosso wins the prize because he followed the rules.  ;-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 4:25 PM

mkg335:
    alosso wins the prize because he followed the rules.  ;-

Yup, he MDAS'd it.  Dang Germans know their numbers.  ;-)

Kind of an odd sidebar here but it relates to German efficiency with numbers and accuracy as well as the economy. I use Haefle hardware because it's the best. The fit and function is beyond reproach and it's a pleasure to use. (The Metric system is a pain, though-lol) It's also the most expensive and comes from Germany but when you have a choice to build a high end product, you want high end hardware. American manufacturing loses to quality. I may have to settle for the inferior stuff if the trade course with Germany is going south. I also use Canadian board. :-(

• gonfission
    2,234 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 5:50 PM

YankeeJim:
    But then you study it and realize MDAS is what you grew up learning

Jim you hit the "order of operations". Multiply, Divide, Add, Subtract = MDAS

Your first three guess' were incorrect , although it is very easy to come to all three conclusions in this puzzle.

alosso:

1 + 10 x 2 = 21

Four horseshoes are 8, two boots are two.

But, without YJ I would not have distinguished between one and two boots or horseshoes :(

alosso gets the answer, however the order of operations is incorrect.

As Jim said MDAS would be 10 x 2 + 1 = 21

alosso gets partial credit for correct answer, but not the use of Jim's MDAS

Jim gets it right with his other guess

YankeeJim:
    Add 21 to the list.  LOL

He just keeps it a secret on how he got there ;-)

filmslayer:
    another secret, but plausible answer

alosso:

Indeed, to many secret confusing Wall Street wizards here.

YankeeJim:

He's not discounting the single boot, he's treating it like Jimbog did or didn't follow MDAS.

p.s., I think your 21 is the right answer. I was all wet in the thinking.  :-(

filmslayer:

Right again, but still no explanation of equation

1+10=11

11x2=22 

Plausibility explained, and understandable how he got there, although incorrect.

mkg335:

I agree that 21 is correct.

1 horse = 10

2 horseshoes = 4

2 boots = 2

The important point is to follow the order of operations.

1 + 10 x 2 = 21

First you multiply 10 x 2, then you add 1. <<<<<<

alosso wins the prize because he followed the rules.  ;-)

Yes he did follow the "OOO" good on you for using that correct terminology, however alosso still did not express the calculation correctly, even though he followed the "OOO"

To this point, you are the only one to correctly express it.

YankeeJim:
    Yup, he MDAS'd it.  Dang Germans know their numbers.  ;-)

There is no denying that statement ^^^

So, although there seemed to be several correct answers, there was only one, which alosso nailed.

It took all of you to get it in the correct expression though. This is how economics can be deceiving to the unsuspecting, and bamboozling to the initiated as well.

Thanks all, for coming together to work out some "differences" 

History has indeed been written by all of the above, on a situation turning ugly, however, ending amicably.

Sorry for being late, Jim & Jeff's Social Security was a bi-tch today

☢----------<*{{{{{-(

Edit: alosso, as a prize for your interpretation I wish you to pick 5 numbers from a set of numbers ranging from 1 - 69,  then pick 1 number from a range of 1 - 26

This is the "Power ball" lottery we have here in the states. I will buy 10 tickets for you, so you must please pick 10 sets of those numbers.

The jackpot as of Saturday was almost (sit down for this) $700,000,000.00 dollars. Over a 1/2 a BILLION dollars.

Should you win, I will fly to Germany anywhere of your choosing, and present you with the winnings. Minus a generation fee, destination fee, customs bribe beyond belief fee, all totaling $50,000,000.00 for the missus

I am dead serious, If you win, I get $50,000,000.00 and you get hand delivered the rest. If you want a person of your choosing other than me, for understandable, but hurtful reasons, ;-)) That can be arranged as well.

Half a BILLION dollars. Oh my

Please pick The 5 + the 1, for each play. such as 14 - 23 - 32 - 47 - 65 + 21

10 sets like that before Wednesday evening around 7:00 my time. EST.  I think they pick them at 10:00pm, not sure as I won't spend a dollar for 10 million, or 70 million, but only for over 300 million. What's up with that?

Good luck

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Aug 21 2017 6:40 PM

I have to quibble with your statement that alosso did not express the calculation correctly:

1 + 10 x 2  = 21

10 x 2 + 1 = 21

2 x 10 + 1 = 21

1 + 2 x 10 = 21

These four statements are identical mathematically.

A fun exercise nonetheless!

RSS