Forums

Help › Forums

Slow play

Tue, Aug 22 2017 6:09 PM (21 replies)
  • Baldace
    3,254 Posts
    Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:20 AM

AussieDavo11:
    I turn my TV on during some matches to keep me entertained while I wait for a few select players to hit the ball.

How old are you ? :) sounds like a case of ADHD :)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Aug 8 2017 5:43 AM

AussieDavo11:

So you think a 9 hole match should take more than half an hour?

You are joking.

Er, no.  I don't know if the mobile version is speeded up but on a PC playing 9 holes solo in 15 minutes is pretty good going. Playing with someone else, even if they play at the same speed takes longer because you always chat.  30 minutes for 2 players to finish 9 holes is quick in my experience.

Personally I always set the clock to 90 seconds.  Not to have more time to set up shots, I'm pretty fast at that.  I do so in order to make use of the whole point of multi player games, having a chat.

If your opponents are trying to get under your skin then apparently they have succeeded.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Aug 8 2017 9:03 AM

I can take most of my shots relatively quickly but in multi-player games I want the 90 second timer so that I don't have to feel the pressure of a clock. I can play with the 30 second timer, if I must; I just don't like to.

On the mobile I have trouble but that is simply because I so seldom play there. I have trouble knowing how to set up shots or even all the little things, like reverse views, on the mobile app. 

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Aug 8 2017 3:40 PM

Just play by yourself.

• AussieDavo11
    1,946 Posts
    Tue, Aug 8 2017 7:24 PM

Thanks to Hack and a couple of others who provided balanced responses.

To clarify a couple of things....

I only play on the WGT app where you don't have a choice of time between shots for Matchplay style events - it is only 45 seconds. WGT have already responded that they are aware of players who deliberately take close to the maximum time for every shot with the view of frustrating their opponents into forfeiting and taking the prize.

These are the ones I was referring to.

For those who play online and choose to enter say, a 90 second shot event, I have no issues. Take your time, study the shot from every angle needed, comb your hair, clean your teeth, chat to friends, whatever makes you happy. Because you have selected a 90 second shot event from the other choices available.

In my case, I only have the choice of play or don't. I refuse to not play because of a few (only a few...) ******* who try to capitalise on the system.

To those who don't understand my point and choose to come up with smart responses, all I can say is thanks and enjoy your game your way.......

Let me do the same.

• SeveFrost
    1,495 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 4:05 AM

Davo, as a mobile player the coin games are still the closest we get to matchplay so I used to play a lot but like you, the tortoise type players have limited my participation. the worst I think was a nine hole match lasted just over fifty minutes. the player let the clock run down even on tap ins and straightforward drives to open fairways

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:39 AM

AussieDavo11:

Thanks to Hack and a couple of others who provided balanced responses.

To clarify a couple of things....

I only play on the WGT app where you don't have a choice of time between shots for Matchplay style events - it is only 45 seconds. WGT have already responded that they are aware of players who deliberately take close to the maximum time for every shot with the view of frustrating their opponents into forfeiting and taking the prize.

These are the ones I was referring to.

For those who play online and choose to enter say, a 90 second shot event, I have no issues. Take your time, study the shot from every angle needed, comb your hair, clean your teeth, chat to friends, whatever makes you happy. Because you have selected a 90 second shot event from the other choices available.

In my case, I only have the choice of play or don't. I refuse to not play because of a few (only a few...) ******* who try to capitalise on the system.

To those who don't understand my point and choose to come up with smart responses, all I can say is thanks and enjoy your game your way.......

Let me do the same.

OK, you make a fair point.  Since many of us don't play mobile games we are not aware of some of the limitations, like the shot time allowed.  I agree it is sad that some people will do that type of thing trying to win in that manner.  

The biggest question is if WGT will do anything to change it?  Based on past experience that's a big IF.  Since you have contacted WGT, it's now in their hands.  But the "We are considering..." comments aren't encouraging that a fix will be coming soon.

This issue has been raised quite a bit and so far nothing has changed.  I'm not sure that different people  bringing it up again and again in the Forum is serving any useful purpose, except allowing people to vent about the problem.  If it were confined to a single thread or two it might reduce some of the negative comments

If you have access to a PC you might give it a try in that format.  The only time I have played on mobile is to either play three holes to get a CDP bonus and once to finish a CC Tournament when my power went out in the middle of a round and my internet went out. 

Finally, I hope you do find a way to enjoy the game, in spite of the scam artists.  Hit 'em where you're aiming.

phred952

• JayTSaward33
    180 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 6:01 AM

In my experience it's also annoying to be accused of slow play during this format..

I'm not one to let the clock run down but I know the type of players the OP means because I have come across them.. a little frustrating maybe but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.. and my feeling was they were doing it in the hope I would forfeit.

I've been accused or told I'm slow twice now and both times it annoyed me. First time my opponent was constantly pulling once in a lifetime shots out of his backside and I was fighting hard just to try and stay in the game.. not to mention having several more shots... to then accuse someone of being slow when they had not once let the timer go close to expiring was poor form IMO.

The second time I handed a so called legend a bit of a lesson and he seemed to take exception to it... once again the shot clock never got close to expiring and a maximum of twice got inside 10 seconds remaining.. IMO he was no faster than me and took longer overall because he had more hits.

Keeping in mind I don't waste any time with tap-ins or simple putts and am just as keen as anyone to keep the game moving at a good pace.

A couple of things to consider... I play on mobile and it has a small screen.. to be precise it can take a bit of time to get the cursor where I want it.. but I always play to win and I'm gonna use the time i need to get the shot I'm trying to achieve and I recommend anyone with a competitive streak should do the same.

Using slow meter balls can also add a bit of time to each shot.. I also get bored waiting for the meter on the real slow balls.. but it's part of the game and out of my control if someone chooses to use those balls.

In summary and only with the mobile 45 second per shot format in mind... I think it's a bit petty to accuse someone of slow play when each player has the same 45 second time limit... it isn't very long and on some difficult shots the full time is needed to get it right.

A bit of a first world problem IMO...  as some one else said there are a lot of variables in play and players should use their time wisely within reason... having said all that using the full 45 for a tap-in over and over would test anyone's patients.

On the other hand I've played against much lower players than me that seem to take forever.. but I am patient with them because they are learning the game and obviously want to be competitive.. it's never been a big deal. .generally when i have time to play WGT i'm not in that big of a hurry.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 6:13 PM

MainzMan:

AussieDavo11:

So you think a 9 hole match should take more than half an hour?

You are joking.

Er, no.  I don't know if the mobile version is speeded up but on a PC playing 9 holes solo in 15 minutes is pretty good going. Playing with someone else, even if they play at the same speed takes longer because you always chat.  30 minutes for 2 players to finish 9 holes is quick in my experience.

Personally I always set the clock to 90 seconds.  Not to have more time to set up shots, I'm pretty fast at that.  I do so in order to make use of the whole point of multi player games, having a chat.

If your opponents are trying to get under your skin then apparently they have succeeded.

+1...play the game, if ya wait, ya wait...what's the big deal?

Eff ya D.....

• AussieDavo11
    1,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2017 7:00 PM

Brave man.....

RSS