Sun, May 14 2017 10:32 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 10:11 PM

flatstick96:

Step 1: Buy the R11 3 wood at L30.

[...]

Step 2: Upgrade the wedges.  I did this at L42, procuring the L42 Gorge 60*, the L41 Gorge 54*, and the L39 ATV 64*.

[...]

the starter PW (which you can't remove) has a base yardage of 90 (which makes it worthless with the 95 yard Gorge in the bag)

[...]

Step 3: Add the R1 driver at L48.

[...]

Step 4: Get the Daytona putter at L55.

[....]

Step 5: Close out the upgrades with the G25 irons at L59.

[...]

(I) am researching ball upgrades now and will probably start investing in balls soon.  I just didn't see the point until I had all of the starter clubs out of my bag.

That's a vg plan! The best part of it is to time the levelling in accordance to the credits available (and not to hurry the tier progression).

Importance-wise, I'd put the wedges before 3WD and driver, but they come in that sequence of levels.

You might have spared yourself the 54° wedge and use the (minor) PW until exchanging the irons. But, what to buy then? The final goal would be one of the top wedges which are then still out of reach...

Now you're obviously working your way up the balls. I preferred the Tour-SD to the B-ES, while the Srixon has it's fans, too. Today, the L33 Cally is a solid companion.

Have fun!

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 9:31 PM

I have been using the B-ES balls the last few days simply because they're dirt cheap, I don't have many credits, and I'm blowing through balls pretty quickly (it takes me a lot of swings to get around).  :-)

I think they're generally pretty serviceable (and represent a good value), at least at my fairly low level of play; if I hit a shot exactly how I want to, these balls go about where they should (within a couple of feet) - when they don't end up where they're supposed to, it's always because I struck the shot poorly to begin with.  

I'm still having a bit of a hard time adjusting from the starter irons/balls combo to my present B-ES/G25 combo.  Mentally I play for more run out than I'm getting, so my approach shots tend to pretty consistently come up 5-8' short of where I want them to end up.  Lots of times where I think I'll have a 3' putt I'll instead have a 10-12 footer.  And on the putts in that range, the Daytona defaults to the 15' scale, but I'm still used to the starter putter's default 30' scale, so then I hit that 12 foot putt halfway to the hole.  Maddening.  :-)

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2017 10:32 AM

Use the B-ES as long as they fit you ;)

The other item, the scales, calls for advice:

Don't trust the default setting - never! - and include the control of the scale to your preparation ritual!

The most significant changes will come from the short game around the greens, where Chips and Pitches are proposed when they are impossible, but the long shots require some thought, too.

Concerning the putter, I know it from my own experience with the Daytona! I've become used to pushing the wheel up by default, because a longer scale means less meter  amplitude and a slower movement. I try to stay between 15 and 30 %.

And, beware of the fringe - high scale!!

• PAGES
RSS