Welcome to Legend

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 25 2017 6:39 PM (22 replies)
  • Berto057
    219 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 11:15 AM

Robert1893:

Berto057:
    I may be alone in this, but I just made Legend a few hours ago, and don't find it that much harder than TM.  ... So, it's only the added length that's new for me. 

[snip - indicating length combined with wind and fast greens is a stern test]

Other than that, the game is pretty much the same from the back tees.  ;-)  

Hi Robert,

I added back the italicized line because that was the point I was trying to make (and clearly didn't).  I've already played in high wind and on T greens, but the parking lot tees are completely new.  Your point is very well taken: the extra length changes *everything*.

St Andy's #17 was already scary with the landing strip to hit off the tee, and the road OB long.  Now it's downright terrifying...  

Thanks for the warnings and advice.  Hit 'em well.

Cheers, --Berto

• Berto057
    219 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 11:29 AM

Robert1893:

phred952:
    By the way, you are in for a bit of a shock on Merion with the different green speeds.

Exactly. There are some spots on Merion where I'm absolutely thrilled to 2 putt from 5 feet.  

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing, Robert!

Cheers, --Berto

• Robert1893
    7,672 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 6:27 PM

@Berto

Best to you as well. Enjoy the new challenges and keep it in the short grass! You should do very well. You have great attitude. 

• SeveFrost
    1,495 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2017 5:39 PM

I'm another newish Legend and though enjoying the challenge, I could do with a 287 driver now and not 6 levels time. I've always played with the basic wgt xd balls but I'm not sure I'll be able to continue with them and score low from the black tees

some of the long par 3s are great now, especially in to a headwind

how long does it normally take to get acclimatised to the new yardages or is it a constant battle? 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:57 PM

Seve,

It varies from person to person obviously.  I had more trouble dealing with the green speeds when i made Legend.  The longer tees not so much.  I was using a L79 TM SLDR in white, and either a WGT G13-S or a Cally L33 ball.  The SLDR is very similar to the Nike you are using now.

While I have a better driver now, from time to time i will still use those balls, as I am trying to get back to using a 2.5 meter ball, like the Cally.

There are better balls, without breaking the bank.  I had someone mention the Cally L45/Legend+ balls to me.  I found they play about as well as a Nike L61, except for the difference in meter speed.  They are 300 credits.  I knew a player who used the WGT Legend G12-SD2 balls and was very competitive in our CC.  They are 155 credits.

Good Luck and have fun.  Learn, but enjoy the game.

phred952

• SeveFrost
    1,495 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2017 2:04 AM

Phred, thanks for the advice

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2017 5:18 AM

From the parking lot tees, every club in the bag becomes vital to better scoring. The 3i and the 3w  clubs must be employed more often than they were from the shorter tees.  There are times when you can't attack the pin as a legend because using the long irons means a longer roll. The game is no longer a driver followed by a wedge when playing from the tips.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2017 10:05 AM

SeveFrost:

how long does it normally take to get acclimatised to the new yardages or is it a constant battle? 

1st, you need to get yourself a 3 wood, or perhaps you just don't have it equipped?.  It's an absolute must from the legend tees.

Like phred, my biggest adjustment to make at Legend was the greens, not the longer distances.  I'm using the same driver/irons as you and have found they get me around just fine.  Things could better sure, but they are plenty good enough right now.  Some holes you just won't be able to reach -- even with the 287/9 drivers.  There are also some you don't want to make the attempt anyway; just trust in those 3 cleve wedges you have to get you close.

I too use the Lvl 33 Callaway ball.  For the most part the Lvl 80 (former 85) Nike irons will stop the ball on the greens with backspin.  All you need to do there is figure out how far they will carry your ball using no spin, backspin and to a lesser extent top spin.  I've never mapped topspin b/c I've found that if i'm needed a little extra distance, I'll just club up, use full backspin and choke down a bit/as required.  You get more control that way anyway.  One exception to that is the high level cleve wedges.  I use topspin as required regularly on those as they are deadly accurate and will stop on a dime even with full top.  

• davidgrant
    261 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2017 6:30 PM

Can any body tell me when were getting new irons at the high level . like 100 & above. Since w.g.t has taken away  nikes irons & all its equipment. just when i was going to upgrade  to the vapor nikes.The ones w.g.t is offering are no better that the ones i have . ( nike vr forge level 97)

• Robert1893
    7,672 Posts
    Wed, Feb 22 2017 6:57 PM

davidgrant:
    Can any body tell me when were getting new irons at the high level . like 100 & above.

They replaced them with the Callaways, which are virtually identical  to the Nike Vapors at the same level. The only difference I see (in the numbers) is that the Callaway (Level 100+) irons have just a tad slower meter speed.  

So, I really don't understand your post. If you don't think the Callaway Apex (L100+) irons are any better than what you currently have, why would you have been considering purchasing the old Nike Vapor (L100+) irons?  

RSS