Forums

Help › Forums

Welcome to Legend

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 25 2017 6:39 PM (22 replies)
  • shanecmbk
    31 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 11:36 AM

Practiced and practiced. Won a couple to get below 62 average. Reached my goal -- Legend. Now, from from the tips, hurricane head and cross wind, 12/13 greens and 50 rough. Hitting 3 iron instead of 6 or 7 iron into par 4 greens. Have to hit driver on some par 3s. No way to reach par 5s in two. Question: How do Legend players with low level 80 clubs and rock balls shoot in the 50s and low 60s?

Next question: Who's leg do I have to hump to go back to Tour Master?

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 6:10 PM

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 6:30 PM

@shanecmbk

Your clubs are plenty good enough for Legend tier. As the person above notes, it just going to take a lot of practice and a bit of relearning the game. But once you do that, the game is a lot of fun from the tips. And when you get a low score, it's a much greater feeling of accomplishment.

By the way, there are still par 5s reachable in two. The following come immediately to mind (and I'm sure I'm leaving some out):

• Numbers 2 and 6 on Pebble Beach
    • Number 4 on Chambers Bay
    • Number 5 on St. Andrews 
    • Number 14 on Royal St. George's

• DocFox54
    294 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 7:31 PM

shanecmbk:

Question: How do Legend players with low level 80 clubs and rock balls shoot in the 50s and low 60s?

Good question.  Got any examples of Legends or higher that shoot in the 50's using rock balls???

shanecmbk:

Next question: Who's leg do I have to hump to go back to Tour Master?

No need for any leg humping, but if you slip me a couple of $20's I'll tell you a secret about that.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 7:56 PM

Save the 20s. The only "secret" is multi-accounting, which isn't much of a secret.

Answer to question: Sometimes even a blind chicken gets some corn, you know.

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Mon, Feb 13 2017 8:57 PM

18 at Pebble is also reachable more often than not.

The OP said it himself. Practice practice practice.

Remember when I made Legend. Was happy to just shoot par on some courses.

You'll get there. Hell, ya took the time to make Legend, relax and just play for a while.

As for those that shoot in the mid 50's and low 60's I haven't a clue. I could say one thing but that would probably get me censored.

Hit em long, hit em straight.

SP

• Berto057
    219 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 2:04 PM

I may be alone in this, but I just made Legend a few hours ago, and don't find it that much harder than TM.  I'm already used to the wind and 12-stimp greens from playing lots of tourneys while working through TM -- not that I have them handled, mind you.  So, it's only the added length that's new for me.

I'm playing L8x gear with L33 Cally balls, and have a 65 at PB (32/33, practice), a 34 at Oly (practice, B9), and a tourney 35 at Oly.  Not the low 60's OP was mentioning, but in every case, they could have been.  My downfall was making silly mistakes (badly missed ding, choked on an easy putt, wrong putting scale, etc).

Now, time to practice, practice, practice...  (There's a theme here. :-)

Cheers, --Berto

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 7:57 PM

Berto057:
    I may be alone in this, but I just made Legend a few hours ago, and don't find it that much harder than TM.  

On some holes, it's not that much worse. But go stand on the tee box of the 17th hole of St. Andrews, with a wind in your face, then touch base with us again. :-) 

There are times I've had to hit 3 wood for my approach. That's a fun shot into that green! 

Or there's always the 4th hole at Pinehurst No 2. If the wind's in your face there, you're unlikely to get on the green in 2. At 565 yards, it's a par 5 disguised as a par 4. But that's been thoroughly discussed in other threads. At least it makes you long for the shorter 1st hole of Chambers Bay. If I recall correctly, it's only 560 yards. 

Other than that, the game is pretty much the same from the back tees.  ;-)  

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Feb 19 2017 10:38 PM

Congrats Berto.  Robert covered it very well.  #17 @ St. Andrews becomes one of those holes you are very happy to get away with a Par when playing into that heavy headwind from the back tees.  I've had it be so bad i played a layup long iron to leave a wedge to the green.  Hoping to leave it close enough to 1 putt and save Par.  Didn't work out that time either.  2 Putt for Bogey after allowing too much power for the wind.  LOL.

By the way, you are in for a bit of a shock on Merion with the different green speeds.

Good Luck and hit 'em where you are aiming.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Feb 20 2017 5:52 AM

phred952:
    By the way, you are in for a bit of a shock on Merion with the different green speeds.

Exactly. There are some spots on Merion where I'm absolutely thrilled to 2 putt from 5 feet.  

RSS