Help › Forums

St. Andrew's #7... help!

rated by 0 users
Wed, May 4 2011 6:00 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • deBubblebuster
    7 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2011 3:51 AM

I hit a starter driver that averages 225 yds. and whenever I play #7 at St. Andrew's, unless I have a strong tail wind, I cannot reach the fairway.  I'll come up short in either the heavy rough or the dreaded "fescue" which renders going for the green impossible... and I'll usually end up with a bogey or worse (much worse).  Should I just consider this hole a given bummer or is there a better way I can approach this hole that will at least give me a reasonable chance to make par.  This hole can drive me nuts (which is a short drive)!  I just finished a practice round on the front 9 that included 5 birdies, which for me is incredible, but I took a quadruple bogey on #7!!!  I almost kicked my cat.  Any and all advice will be appreciated.  Just put your bill in the mail.  Thank you.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2011 7:08 AM

Hi

only thing I can recommend is upgrading the equipment. Some holes are very tough and in the past, I had same issues with bp 7, 10, & 12.

-wgticon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2011 7:11 AM

deBubblebuster:
    Should I just consider this hole a given bummer or is there a better way I can approach this hole that will at least give me a reasonable chance to make par. 

Hit to the fairway on the left side. It will be a long iron to the green from  there but it's manageable. Be careful as it is easy to go OB over there.  GL

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2011 7:53 AM

Don't know if it will help with that driver, but if you hit the drive with some backspin, straight ahead, the ball will carry farther, even into the wind.

I am using the Calloway balls now and the 280yd driver so its not really an issue, but it certainly worked when I had a shorter hitting driver and non Calloway balls

• deBubblebuster
    7 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2011 7:21 PM

I took your advice and it worked.  With a 15 mph wind over my left shoulder I hit the 195 yard Hybrid-3 to the adjacent fairway.  I still had about 200 yds. to the pin, but now with the tail wind I hit a 180 yard 3-iron to within 25 feet of the pin.  That different angle of approach also gives you more green to work with.  Again, thanks for the advice.  I won't approach #7 with so much dread anymore.

Could I hire you as a caddy?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 2:41 PM

deBubblebuster:

Could I hire you as a caddy?

Really, really really bad idea.  You don't want YJ as your caddy, mate.  Then you would have kids like this one following you around the course:

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 5:55 AM

Heh, at least he'd be parring.

Nice pic-makes a pretty good statement about that obnoxious RS Nation. Everybody hates the best. Now if you were as adept as Andyson you would have photoshopped the logo. (10-1 it shows up anyway.)   ;-)

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:13 AM

deBubblebuster:
    I took a quadruple bogey on #7!!! 

the complaint will fall on deaf ears!  WGT  wants you  to have to pay to upgrade clubs, balls, etc. How they make the bucks!  Accept and move on is the only advice I can offer.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:11 PM

Oh, Jim.. my friend.. I was trying to make a point there.. that's why the pic wasn't altered.

I must tell you, parenthetically, that out here on the West Coast (home of the WORLD CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS, thank you very much) there is no such thing as 'that obnoxious RS Nation', but everybody is aware of the obnoxious Yankee nation.

They look like this...

With the disclaimer that there are, as you have shown so well these past few years, some Yankee fans who are actual fans.

But, and you must agree, most are just as described above. 

=)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:31 PM

There is no Yankee nation-that's a Boston thing. Living 350 miles away from that mess on the coast I wouldn't know about obnoxious Yankee fans. I would know about the wannabees and bearded flashes in the pan though.  

Enjoy the year in the spotlight. It'll probably be another decade or two until you see it again. :-)

• PAGES
RSS