Help › Forums

More Premium Tournaments

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 31 2009 7:55 PM (22 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:55 PM

gitthe:
    When they said they were talking about premium tourneys running through september, I think they were referring to the ADT skills challenge.

Well that's an unfortunate miswording then because the title of that one thread was "Less Sweeps Please."   Due to that and a few comments in that thread, I thought it was obvious that we meant premium stroke plays and not skill challenges.

I was wondering what happened to those 'premium' August tourneys as well.

Bah. :(

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:13 PM

It's been said many times before in the past:  It's turning into a lottery site.  All the premium tournaments are sweepstakes based, save one.  There's plenty of money being given out, it's just going out to random people now.  Not exactly the change in marketing plan most of us had hoped for.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:29 PM

Totally agree, there used to more tournaments with prizes for the top scorers (clubs, balls, vouchers) now its either credits or sweepstakes prizes - surely you have a least a few dozen polo shirts to put up as prizes.

• spinmaster
    56 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:33 PM

How about four round single play premium tournaments? That would get many people interested. That way no fluke could shoot 60 and win. the best player would win.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:42 PM

Been suggested long ago my friend.

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:07 PM

*edit* Just trying to lighten the mood.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:28 PM

*edit*  Old post deleted by me because with the above edit it was out of context.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 7:19 PM

I wrote this post hoping that they would see the true desire of the golfing community at WGT.  I honestly think more people would pay for a tournament if it was only a dollar a round. 

It looks like the average masters tier tournament has around 35-40 players.  I don't know how many players there are in the master tier but you could probably increase the number of players in the field by six or seven times by just lowering the price.  Even if its two dollars you would see a big increase.

Now what I am wondering is the reason for eliminating the tournaments is from the time necessary to be able to verify each player.  This I imagine could be time intensive and take away from the true development of the site.  I think at the site is still in the beta stage there should be an open communication with the players about the direction of the tournament golf.  As a competitive player I don't spend time practicing and buying nine dollar drivers and 12 dollar iron sets and have no chance to win it back. 

I hope I am not premature in writing this and there is premium tournaments coming down the line.  I personally enjoy playing and think this is a truly outstanding product.  I will state that my favorite part was the premium tournaments.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 1:05 PM

Thanks for all your feedback, this is helpful. As we said before, we are going through some transitions with tournaments, and expect there to be some changes later in the year. The feedback about our current premium tournaments being mostly sweepstakes-based has been noted.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 10:13 AM

One thing to add to an old thread .... seems the premium tournaments are all for prizes.   They are good prizes but ... anyone who plays golf on a regular basis has all of these things.   I personally would rather pay for a chance to win credits.   You did one of those tournaments a while back and I found myself trying very very hard to move up in the standings.   Just wondering if you might have a few more of those planned in the future.

RSS