Help › Forums

Good try Tiger

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 13 2011 4:33 AM (34 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 2:26 PM

Snaike:
    No... Golf will be fine without "All Tiger All The Time" coverage.

Curb thy tongue, knave!  It's a good story heading to a happy continuance. When he's in it the lawn waits until Monday.  ;-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 3:20 PM

I agree golf will be fine without Tiger being on the leader board or winning, but it won't be great. (until another phenom appears)  Much like the NBA was fine, but not as interesting to many, when Jordan retired.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 8:23 PM

andyson:

I agree golf will be fine without Tiger being on the leader board or winning, but it won't be great. (until another phenom appears)  Much like the NBA was fine, but not as interesting to many, when Jordan retired.

Right Andy, Jordan to Kobe to LeBron.... time moves on.

And the NBA is stronger and making more money today then in MJ's heyday.  

Golf will be fine.

• hawaiicruz
    49 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 8:46 PM

Greatness does come and go and Tiger will or wont be great again. I was a golf fan before tiger, and will be after, but like I said in another thread, that when he is on his game, there is none better. It's like watching someone paint a masterpiece.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 9:17 PM

Snaike:

cappiest:
    Love him or hate him.....golf needs Tiger Woods,

No, it doesn't.  The jock-sniffers and hangers-on need him, but golf doesn't

You say golf may not need him but all the current players readily admit they owe him a ton of gratitude.  No single person since Arnold Palmer 50 years ago has had anywhere near the same impact on viewership, ratings, and purses.

Here's some stats on tourney purses pre and post Tiger.

In 1997, the total PGA Tour purse was $70,800,800. In 2007, it was $272,300,000. That’s a percentage increase of 284.60%—not quite the cited 300%, but close enoughIf adjusted for inflation you are still looking at nearly a 200% increase.

I love seeing the growing the numbers of talented players on the tour these days, but every sport NEEDS a superstar.  So golf may not need Tiger Woods, but every single network executive under the sun will tell you they need him, or at least need 1 or 2 players step up and run with the torch.

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2011 10:34 PM

Snaike:

cappiest:
    Love him or hate him.....golf needs Tiger Woods,

No, it doesn't.  The jock-sniffers and hangers-on need him, but golf doesn't.  Sure, he drives up ratings when he's doing well, but he's also a detriment when he's slumping.  Those people who only turn on golf to band-wagon his victories are not golf fans.  They are as fickle as any other temporary fanbase and will be gone before you know it.

Golf will be fine without Eldrick winning everything.  There is enough young talent out there now that we can get past the genuflecting every time he picks up a club.  As was proved in Augusta last weekend, golf can be exciting even when Eldrick fails.  We all knew that he was out when he finished... how many of you turned it off at that time?  How many said "Well, Tiger's done, I'm gonna go mow the lawn." Not many, I would wager.

No... Golf will be fine without "All Tiger All The Time" coverage.

Are you for real.........give your head a shake. Who has been the most influencial person in professional golf for the last 14 yrs. Without him the game would not have near the exposure it does. You can walk in to literally any room and mention his name and i will guarantee you just about everyone knows his name.....and that includes the time before his little escapade....if you will. I didn't say you had to like him....he has got faults no doubt. I am just saying that there is no doubt that the PGA wants Tiger to return to the game and do well....it is a guaranteed benefit them and golf in general.

If there is one thing people will come out in droves to see....it is a come back story. Seems as though you may have a Tiger hate on.....and thats fine.....but get serious....the whole ball game changed when Tiger Woods became a pro in 1997....and golf has not been the same since. I also don't agree with the amount of time exposure he gets when he is even on the second or third page of the leaderboard. I can dig up some numbers for you but i won't waste my time.....the viewership went down very,very significantly while he was away from the game, and if he comes back strong they will rise again....for sure.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 4:38 AM

In fairness to Snaike's POV , if you look at Tiger from a family man's perspective he certainly isn't an example you would want your kids to follow.  I like following him for his golf exploits but am conflicted by his off course shenanigans. How do you explain him to your kids, especially your impressionable 12 (13?) year old son? IDK.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:08 AM

When I sit and watch golf, I really like what Tiger the golfer did. But I agree with Jim, how do you explain him to your teen.

oh welcome back Snaike

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:45 AM

Given.... a role model he is not......my ppoint is only what he has done for the game and the players. The pga tour was never as popular without Tiger.....before he was there or when he was out of the game for a time.

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 10:00 AM

Just a follow up here....just checked the tv ratings and i was surprised myself.......when Tiger has been injured or taken time away from the game tv ratings have dropped for these events an average of 46.8%. I would say that Tiger is still pretty important to the game.

RSS