Help › Forums

Nike balls

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 6 2016 4:33 AM (30 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,199 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 7:09 PM

@Robert.

I wasn't implying the champions are playing the wgt rocks; just that they were using cheaper balls than a Nike (and often a low end putter). Sorry if my post was misleading.

I've read several posts where players can't imagine playing a decent round with anything but Nikes...even when they can't afford them?

Unless they are top players, who can take full advantage of the Nike specs, cheaper balls will suffice. If the Nike balls are no longer available, there are many decent alternatives. It's just a matter of getting used to them...again.

ct

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 8:33 PM

@ct

I gotcha.

It was my misreading of your post. You were clear. I just read it too quickly.

On all points, I agree. By the way, I just shot my first 29 on the front 9 of Congressional. I usually can't score well on that course. I've been able to do OK, but nothing fantastic. The golf gods were smiling on me tonight. :-)  

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sun, Nov 6 2016 12:58 PM

How come nobody has said boo about what they are going to do to replace the nike balls??

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Fri, Nov 11 2016 5:24 PM

Surprised there's not more love for the callies here, I much prefer them to the nikes, I can't remember the last time I hit a nike ball.

• ct690911
    7,199 Posts
    Fri, Nov 11 2016 6:00 PM

Safdar1:

Surprised there's not more love for the callies here, I much prefer them to the nikes, I can't remember the last time I hit a nike ball.

I can...hit it flat and it still drew back 20 ft off the green on approach. No clue how to use them properly. I fully agree with you on the Callies.

ct

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Nov 11 2016 7:07 PM

Love the Nikes. One thing I can't elsewhere is the 4 meter speed of them.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Nov 11 2016 8:11 PM

ct690911:

Safdar1:

I can...hit it flat and it still drew back 20 ft off the green on approach. No clue how to use them properly. I fully agree with you on the Callies.

ct

ct,

Sounds like a combination of a Cleveland wedge and a Nike Ball on a sloping green.  Remember that the top level Clevelands will make the starter ball back up.  I've done that on Merion greens before.  

The Nike Black is very sensitive to the amount of back spin.  To stop a full 60 yd wedge shot with one on a flat green like Kiawah #1 i have to use about 3/4 top spin.  Sometimes more if you are hitting into the wind.  Like anything new, there is a learning curve.

phred952

• ct690911
    7,199 Posts
    Sat, Nov 12 2016 2:01 AM

phred952:

ct690911:

Safdar1:

ct

ct,

Sounds like a combination of a Cleveland wedge and a Nike Ball on a sloping green.  Remember that the top level Clevelands will make the starter ball back up.  I've done that on Merion greens before.  

The Nike Black is very sensitive to the amount of back spin.  To stop a full 60 yd wedge shot with one on a flat green like Kiawah #1 i have to use about 3/4 top spin.  Sometimes more if you are hitting into the wind.  Like anything new, there is a learning curve.

phred952

Phred...what you are suggesting takes talent and touch. I am remiss in both areas. I make up for it through beer consumption and repeating well worn, but risque, knock-knock jokes. 

During special occasions, I've even been known to recite several verses of "there was an old man from Nantucket"..:)

ct

• cadornette
    319 Posts
    Sat, Nov 12 2016 3:41 AM

I think you have to be really careful with the high level Nikes. You have to play lots of rounds before getting really used to them. That's why I never buy a ball with massive spin. It's dangerous sometimes. Until last month, I used the Callaway Chrome Soft Balls (L33+), which are great balls. Nice spin, and smooth meter speed for my clubs. A few days ago, I started using the Nike 20XI-S balls and I can tell they're amazing, for a very cheap cost of 400 cr. It's the ones I would recommend. Like I've read in other comments: you should buy the great balls just when you feel your game is really on shape. Take care, 

Joel

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Nov 12 2016 4:12 AM

Buy enough of them asap, as they might disappear together with the Nike clubs.

RSS