Forums

Help › Forums

Nike balls

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 6 2016 4:33 AM (30 replies)
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 8:48 AM

No other ball is as good as the Nike's.  Now when the Nike line i gone from the pro shop will WGT replace it with balls just as good?  I've looked at the numbers of all the other balls & nothing comes close to Nike balls.  The rest is just plain crap.  JMHO.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 12:53 PM

The numbers tell a good part of the story, but not nearly all of it.

The top Nikes are excellent, but they are also extremely sensitive to wind, ding misses and spin. When you're on top of your game, they can be magical. When you're just a bit off, they can be maddening.

I have them, I like them, and I'll miss them when they're gone. But in anticipation of that day, I've been playing more and more with the Volviks. They are not nearly as finicky, and they give an honest, consistent performance all game long.

They may be plain crap to you; they work just fine for me.

mathia14:

No other ball is as good as the Nike's.  Now when the Nike line i gone from the pro shop will WGT replace it with balls just as good?  I've looked at the numbers of all the other balls & nothing comes close to Nike balls.  The rest is just plain crap.  JMHO.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 1:01 PM

Other balls with similarly good specs and in the same price range will come in to replace the Nikes.

WGT would be cutting their own throats otherwise.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 2:30 PM

I looked at all the balls including the Volviks.  They have too fast of a meter for this old man.

@ Paul...  I hope so.  But we will see.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 2:40 PM

mathia14:
    I looked at all the balls including the Volviks.  They have too fast of a meter for this old man.

There are Callaways with a slower meter speed than the Nike that you're currently using. I like the Nike balls as well and play the same one that you do, but the other balls are not crap.  

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 4:10 PM

Sorry Robert, they are to me. The max are too much $$ with shorter life & too slow of a meter for me.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 5:15 PM

I wouldn't play the Max balls either. But I've heard really good things about the Volviks (L48), which are only a tick slower, and the Callaway Truvis Chrome Soft balls do look nice. Nevertheless, I haven't tried either. Just going by what others have said.

But everyone has to find a ball that works best for him and her and try to stick with it. So I'm also hoping that WGT will either be able to keep the Nike ball or introduce another brand with the same characteristics. Of course, they can do it. The question is will they and what the new price will be. 

• Marco129
    275 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 5:39 PM

I am hoping WGT can cut a deal with Titleist.

- Mark

• ct690911
    7,198 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 5:39 PM

What did people play before the $6-$8 Nikes were available?...nobody left, so I assume they were able to play what was available.

TBH, I think a lot of it is between the ears...people think more $$ means their game will improve. I've played champions who putt lights out with cheap balls and a low end putter.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2016 6:18 PM

ct690911:
    TBH, I think a lot of it is between the ears...people think more $ means their game will improve. I've played champions who putt lights out with cheap balls and a low end putter.

Well, I think that for most people there is a definite improvement to their game with the better balls (over the starters). How much better obviously varies from person to person. But in addition to that, the better balls allow me to be more consistent in my play as well as to have the advantage of not having to concentrate as much to hit a good shot. 

With the starters, I've played some decent rounds from the tips. But I've never played a great round as a legend. I think my best round with the starters was a 31 on the back nine of Pebble Beach. With the more expensive balls, I consistently play good rounds, with an excellent round thrown in there from time-to-time (by the way, for me, an "excellent round" is a 30 or lower).

I don't know that I would be able to shoot a 30 or sub-30 round on a course like Pinehurst. But I have with the Nike. I think the added distance has a significant effect.  

Still, you're right. Some people play the starter ball extremely well. At least, that''s what I've been told, and I believe them. Even so, I think at the legend level and above, they're probably the exception and not the rule.

RSS