Forums

Help › Forums

Scoring

Sat, Oct 22 2016 12:48 PM (9 replies)
  • buzzkiller53
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 8:42 AM

Saturday evening I finally scored better than a 5 under for a 9 hole game but my score has not changed at all. I was playing Best of Par 5 holes on the back 9.

According to the FAQ's section, the only course I can't improve my score on is Best of Par 3 if I'm reading it right.

Here is my question. Why then did my score not change a bit? It has before on this course, especially when I have a bad game.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this has happened here so it's time to ask since I am trying to move up a tier.

Thanks, BK53

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 10:36 AM

5 under for 9 holes on best of par 5's, is a score of 40, only scores under your present average will lower it.

How many under you are is not the point, it's all about getting a score better than your avg.

5 under at St Andrews is not the same score as 5 under at Bethpage for instance.

Par 3 and par 5 courses do not count towards your average.

• buzzkiller53
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 10:50 AM

That's my point. I was 8 under when I finished the game. As I said, I finally broke 5 under.

• buzzkiller53
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 3:08 PM

Please note that scores from the Best of Par 3 stroke play course will not be counted towards your Tier ranking.

This was copied and pasted directly from the FAQ's.

It says NOTHING about Par 5 not being counted.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 9:56 PM

buzzkiller53:

But, they aren't, as stated above.

Furthermore, the average ain't calculated by "+/- Par" but by total scores. Your 37 at Bo5 (9 holes) doubles to 74 which might only have increased your average of 64.65 if it had counted.

Rule of thumb: Only ranked and tournament rounds on courses with a Par between 60 and 80 count to the average!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Oct 16 2016 10:53 PM

Even if the Par 5's were counted towards an average your 37 equates to a 74...which is above your average. They are not however included towards averages.

Regardless, it appears you want to keep playing from kiddies tees as you seem to play Par 3's, 5's or blitz with very few other ranked rounds on ordinary courses.

So if you were serious about tiering up, you would as looking at the 31's on Kiawah you are capable or doing so. You simply choose not too. 

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2016 2:27 PM

If your score on BoP5 lowers your average, your average is ridiculously bad.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Oct 17 2016 5:00 PM

buzzkiller53:

While that's true, it's also true that the FAQ does not say only par 3 courses are not counted. It simply notes that par 3 courses do not count. There's nothing in that FAQ that limits it to only par 3 courses not counting. 

As already noted, par 5 courses do not count. And that does not contradict the FAQ. On that point, the FAQ is simply silent.

• TinysTeeShot
    1,513 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 12:09 PM

PaulTon:

How many under you are is not the point, it's all about getting a score better than your avg.

You do not need to shoot better then your avg to bring it down. It will go up or down according to how you do per round, until your saturated and then it stops going up.

Also, it don't matter if you play 9 or 18 holes, if you shoot a 7 under it will drop your avg the same amount, for a 9 or 18 hole round.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 12:48 PM

TinysTeeShot:
    Also, it don't matter if you play 9 or 18 holes, if you shoot a 7 under it will drop your avg the same amount, for a 9 or 18 hole round.

It certainly does matter if it's a a 9 or 18 hole round. I believe that for all courses, 7 under for 9 holes is going to be (at most) a 29. That works out to a 58 average. But 7 under for 18 holes will be in the 60s and could be as high as 65 (if I recall par for all of the courses correctly).

In other words, the 7 under for 9 holes can certainly drop your average more. In fact, it's possible for a 7 under for 9 holes to drop your average, while a 7 under for 18 holes having no effect. That's the advantage of only playing 9-hole rounds rather than 18-hole rounds. An excellent front 9 can't be "ruined" by an average back 9. 

As alosso mentions above, the average is not calculated by + par; it's based on total (or raw) score. 

RSS