Forums

Help › Forums

world cup 2017

Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:40 AM (2,096 replies)
  • PAULFINN52
    3,172 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 11:44 AM

12 teams in so far

only another 20 to go lol

get them over captains please so we can sort out the pairings 

thx paul

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 8:50 AM

In response to my previous query, Paul.   I didn't know whether the lower tier player, the higher tier player or WGT were going to decide which holes to concede. 

I know you used this handicap system before but wasn't sure what you meant when you posted this previously

Matchplay

CH,TLS V L = 2 holes ,TM = 3holes,M=4 holes

L V TM =2 holes, M =3 holes                HIGHER TIER TO CONCEDE HOLES   

TMS V M ,=2 hole

I thought us Champs might have got lucky and could pick the last few holes to concede.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 4:37 AM

Thanks for hosting this, Mr. Finn. Look like it'll be a cracker.

Just seeking some clarifiaction:

I get the handicap ruling for stableford & strokeplay matches. I don't quite get how the hole rating can be used in mp format.

In an 18 hole mp format would a C/TL start the match 2 holes down and have the full 18 holes to try and reduce the deficit, or would 2 holes be ceded during the actual match; ergo leaving only 16/18 to be actually played?

*whistles innocently*

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 5:01 AM

WigerToods2010:
    or would 2 holes be ceded during the actual match; ergo leaving only 16/18 to be actually played?

This. The holes that need to be conceded, will be set in advance by Finny. They will be the ones, that are rated as hardest on the real course and they are usually not the ones, that are hardest to play here ;-)

P.S.: Sorry for butting in, Paul, just wanted to lighten the workload ;-)

• PAULFINN52
    3,172 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 7:33 AM

carry on jure

its great that other players can give advice or answers to questions.i want everyone happy with the running/formats etc of the comp,

and steve sorry it doesnt work that way mate lol

by the way my nickname is finny so most of my club members call me that.

captains there are 18 teams still to be sent over to me

i want them all in this week please.me,nico and paul  have to sort out the matches.

paul

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 8:31 AM

mkrizan86:
    This. The holes that need to be conceded, will be set in advance by Finny. They will be the ones, that are rated as hardest on the real course and they are usually not the ones, that are hardest to play here ;-)

Jure I think it's sort of that, but I think that everyone talking about the "hardest" holes is causing some confusion, that's not what I think these numbers signify.  

The ratings are for which holes a player receiving a handicap would most need it.  On an "easy" par 5 the less good player would need to play 2/3 good shots to get on the green whereas on a "difficult" par three they would need to play one.  The better player may also get there in a shot less on longer holes, unlikely on a par 3.

Something Like:

A common misconception is that the handicap stroke allocation is a ranking of the degree of difficulty of holes on the course, but it is not. A handicap stroke should be an equalizer and should be available on a hole where it would most likely be needed by a higher handicapped player.

So what is being taken out of the rounds are the two holes where the higher ranked player was most likely to gain strokes, in real golf anyway.

That was just an attempt to clarify, it all seemed to work last time and if there is an additional advantage it is probably minute. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 11:27 AM

Just for info folks, anyone new to this........

Finny will name the holes when games are on, he wont  leave it for folks to work it out themselves.

He knows the courses well so could pick the hardest himself, but i know he likes to be impartial.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 11:37 AM

bubbsboy:
    He knows the courses well so could pick the hardest himself, but i know he likes to be impartial.

Erm, there's no partiality or course knowledge involved. All courses already have the holes ranked hardest to easiest. Click on the "handicap" tab at the bottom of the scorecard, next to "par".

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 12:19 PM

Yeah J. Just discussions regarding the possibility of WGT just picking longest holes as hardest.

Think looking at them we know some harder holes on courses than they choose.

But thats the impartial bit, Finny could pick the ones he thinks but i know he wont do that.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 12:55 PM

bubbsboy:

Yeah J. Just discussions regarding the possibility of WGT just picking longest holes as hardest.

Think looking at them we know some harder holes on courses than they choose.

But thats the impartial bit, Finny could pick the ones he thinks but i know he wont do that.

I'm not sure if I sparked this impartiality stuff, if so I wasn't implying otherwise.  I think Finny does a great job and is entirely fair.

As said the holes selected are from wgt, the handicap (not how difficult) ratings.

RSS