Forums

Help › Forums

world cup 2017

Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:40 AM (2,096 replies)
  • PAULFINN52
    3,174 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 11:05 AM

its the only system i can go with mate unless someone can come up with a better handicap between tiers,it worked last time and everyone was happy with it,

the handicap index is there for a reason and we have to have handicaps,a champ would beat a legend everytime of scratch in my eyes,

i know its not a perfect system and im always learning every comp i do ,i want to make this comp an annual comp and with all your help it will be.

thx for the input though,lets see how it rolls this year,give it a chance friend

and dont forget its a bit of fun and a chance to make new friends,that what my aim is.

paul 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 11:11 AM

birchi:

PAULFINN52:

it will be on the based on the handicap index for the course 

1 on the index being the hardest,

ie  hole 14 par 5  st andrews index 1,it may not seem hard to us but i have played it and its a card wrecker when the wind gets up into your face lol

i can only go by that and it is fair for everyone ok

paul

so the hardest holes have to be conceded? 

that's makes the hole thing with conceding holes (which i find quite absurd to begin with as long as it's based on tiers alone, because tiers are not a perfect indicator of the skill of a player, to say the least) even worse. those are the holes who make the difference between good and bad players

Lol, same thing I said last year. Turned out that the "hardest holes" were usually (almost all of them) par 5s, so there were no issues. 99% of them were holes that would've likely end with a half, if played. It seems the term "hardest" is usually used for the longest holes IRL. 

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 12:41 PM

sorry, didn't want to come across that negative, and i should have checked what the "hardest holes" are before posting. 

anyway, thanks for organising this tournament, paul, should be a lot of fun

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 12:56 PM

birchi:

so the hardest holes have to be conceded? 

that's makes the hole thing with conceding holes ...... even worse

I thought the same way last year but after seeing it work throughout the whole tournament, I think it does what Paul set out to do-give the lower tiered player a fighting chance and a CC able to attract more participants.

It also puts an edge on the higher tiered player's game. Last year was particularly tough because one of the courses has 18 as the hardest hole. That meant you had to be 1UP on 17 or you lost.

For this kind of competition I think it works pretty good.  :-)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 1:21 PM

It is not easy folks, often ideas will float about and not everyone will be happy.

As Jim states it gives lower tiers a chance and increases participants in the event.

Be a bit elitest if only top champs were in it, there are other WGT competitions for that.

Lets just have fun, rules are there and they not too bad are they ?

Lets roll

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 1:46 PM

bubbsboy:
    rules are there and they not too bad are they ?

Depends on who wins.  :-P

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 2:07 PM

;-)

• thewonderstuff
    1,436 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 2:45 PM

PAULFINN52:

and dont forget its a bit of fun and a chance to make new friends,that what my aim is.

paul 

if we all follow this quote we'll all be winners :)

tws 

• TdotDoba
    2,160 Posts
    Thu, Feb 9 2017 11:04 PM

Trust me I was a bit freaked out when I had to give up 6 strokes one match, but really it worked out and made the match a lot more fun with some great banter, and most important kept the match a lot closer... so it did what Finny wanted it to.

Cheers

• PeteWinyard
    2,583 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 1:14 AM

All above -

Ahh now - there's friendly !.. #l;~)>

RSS