Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping when on Green

Wed, Sep 19 2018 9:51 PM (22 replies)
  • rdodge
    95 Posts
    Mon, Sep 5 2016 9:56 PM

The game is very realistic in many ways but i do not know of one course that allows you to use a wedge from the green. (not talking about the fringe)  Many players chip when a long putt is needed.

I think you should make it so when that happens a WARNING pops up INAPPROPRIATE CLUB , ONE STROKE PENALTY. 

And if the player tries to chip again....DISQUALIFIED

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 10:02 AM

Sorry, rdodge, but almost every course allows using a wedge on the green. It is severely frowned upon and if you take a divot the grounds crew will probably have you removed from the course but it is a legal shot. The shot is used on the PGA Tour multiple times a year.

Once every four or five years I find myself on a green shaped such that I have to get to the hole by going over rough or a trap cut in the center of the green. I use a lob wedge and have never taken a divot since I've actually spent time practicing getting the ball in the air without digging into the turf.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 10:05 AM

rdodge:

The game is very realistic in many ways but i do not know of one course that allows you to use a wedge from the green. (not talking about the fringe)  Many players chip when a long putt is needed.

I think you should make it so when that happens a WARNING pops up INAPPROPRIATE CLUB , ONE STROKE PENALTY. 

And if the player tries to chip again....DISQUALIFIED

Read the rules of golf! You can use any club on the greens. There is no rule stating that you can not chip in the greens. Phil Mickleson has done it several times in pro tourneys.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 10:53 AM

rdodge:

I agree that this should be done. It would make the game even more realistic because that's exactly what happens in real life. 

• TheTommyD
    140 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 2:09 PM

I know we can do it....dogs

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 3:23 PM

rdodge:
    i do not know of one course that allows you to use a wedge from the green.

I don't know of any course that forbids it, and it would be a breach of the rules of golf by the course officials. Also, the best players do it (examples of Mickelson and others available in youtube). It's a perfectly legal stroke!

Furthermore, which objections do you have? Iron shots from the greens do not damage WGT's greens at all - divots are visible for fringe shots but not for green shots. Also, no damages remain for the next group - everything is immaculate.

• expiredloch
    362 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 4:46 AM

I couldn't agree with you more but mention this relatively recent practice and up they come...I call them opportunists . They've long recognised this imbalance and have they exploited it!!!

Why spend years, as many have done, to properly read the greens and steadily perfect your putting skills when suddenly, you can throw any shot onto a green and not worry about distance from the hole because WGT allows you to chip your shot, and having perfected this, no worries about borrows, dips and the like, just chip it.

But you dare to mention this imbalance and wait for the snarling teeth and dripping gums. The baying of the hounds screaming abuse.

Why? Because these people are the win at all cost types. The idea of fair play genuinely doesn't enter their minds.

When WGT themselves realize this imbalance and do as you suggest just you watch these people struggling to maintain the position they presently hold.

There are of course many excellent players who don't resort to this tactic but a considerable number who do.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:00 AM

"But you dare to mention this imbalance and wait for the snarling teeth and dripping gums. The baying of the hounds screaming abuse."

Dramatic much?...not one post has done this. They merely pointed out that using a wedge on the green was legal.

try decaf

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:11 AM

Winning at any cost or is it they just cant putt

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:29 AM

expiredloch:
    The idea of fair play genuinely doesn't enter their minds.

Using a wedge on the green IS fair play...on this game and on the PGA Tour

Tigerpaw509:

...or is it they just cant putt

You guys really make me shake my head...it has NOTHING to do with the ability to putt...the player is merely playing the best shot they believe they have "in order to beat their opponent".  Which again IS fair play in this game and on the PGA Tour.

You guys want to rewrite the Rules of Golf...so...get a job with the USGA and do so.  BTW...Good luck with that.

RSS