Forums

Help › Forums

new golfer show some luvin!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 19 2009 9:52 AM (5 replies)
  • TigerJinSun
    3 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 10:29 AM

Hey all I just singed up about a week ago and have been playing just tryin to get used to the game. I dont think i'm doing all that bad.

The only problem i'm running into when playing is when i'm in the rough on the edge of the green (your average rough). it seems to vary so much - sometimes when i hit it with full strength (using the defaulted club) it only goes like 2 feet and stays in the rough - and other times it sails across the green. and same thing when i use less power - it's very inconsistent and i dont know how to make it a bit more consistent or what to use.

Also i was wondering - i want to get more $ (i only have the $50 from my hack to amateur level) and was wondering what the best ways to make some flow is? to my knowledge it's only Tournies or buying them right? are there any lower level tournies that are ongoing and stuff to start small and work my way up? Because the way i see it; getting top 70 in an open tourny so u can money seems impossible for newcomers since there are so many ppl that are awesome at this game that are playing too...how does this work? :(

Anyway i'm having a blast playing this game and hope to meet up with some of u lushes soon!

-TigerJinSun

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:42 PM

You're correct, rough is incosistent from hole to hole, but that's probably the way it was meant to be. I agree with you that winning credits in tournaments is unrealistic for newcomers (other than symbolic amounts hardly sufficient for buying a few golf balls), so the best way to upgrade is by purchasing credits.

• TigerJinSun
    3 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 1:42 PM

i think it would be kinda cool to have Level Only tournies to help ppl get up and get better equipment. Like "Amateurs Only - 18hole" "Hack Only 18-hole" or whatever...

I dont see becoming pro or master using only the default clubs. however u cant get better clubs unless u can beat pros and masters in tournies... it's a catch-22 it seems. kind of annoying.. esp when i know my wife would kill me if she saw i spent $ on golf clubs or an online game... needs to be a better way...

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:31 PM

TJS,

Gotta disagree on getting promoted using starters clubs.  While I was in the pro tier with upgraded clubs, I lost several matches online to "pros" who were still using starter clubs but playing from the middle tees.  I myself was promoted  to pro within a week of playing and using starters but upgraded first chance I got.  That said you would definitely struggle in the master tier with starters as the hole distances are dramatically longer.  I do agree that it will be tough to earn enough credits to upgrade playing tourneys though. 

Regarding the rough, it makes a huge difference on consistency if you don't hit the ball dead center.  It is much more exaggerated than it is from the fairway as it should be.  Also playing out of the deep rough, your higher irons will fly a lot truer to distance as in real golf.  It is virtually impossible to get a 3iron on the ball in 30-40% rough in real golf or WGT even if you hit it squarely. 

As for upgrading clubs when you advance to pro tier, it certainly makes the game more enjoyable and is a very minimal cost compared to greens fees at your local course and you will have the opportunity to use them much more frequently than your real set at your local course.  Try that on the wife and see if she'll buy it.  :)   If you can sell her and do get to upgrade, I'd suggest the Ping irons over the Taylor Made as they seem to be more forgiving and have a slightly higher ball flight that stops a bit faster.

Welcome to the site and good luck. 

• TigerJinSun
    3 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 5:00 PM

awesome info thx

LOL i just got moved up to Pro been playing a week. Crap i guess that means the Amateur ladder for the tourny i was top 70 in now bumps me to the pro side where i'm over 200 position... lol

the starter set is working for me i just wish i can get a bit more distance on my 1st drive. i'm just sitting in the 220's

hmm got $150 to spend now... :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 19 2009 9:52 AM

check that.. you have $1.50 (150 credits) to spend now... (a minimum driver upgrade to Tour Stater is 100 credits and a couple of sleeves of balls).

Welcome anyway.. enjoy the climb to Master.

Peace

RSS