Help › Forums

Credits - double standard

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 14 2009 2:19 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 7:44 AM

I`m wondering, what is the difference between the credits won by moving up the tier, and the credits won in the tournaments? And, why the rest of the world is eligible for the first one and non eligible for the second one?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:22 AM

No difference between the credits.

Probably because the first are, by nature, more gifts than winnings?

• DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:53 AM

They are both EARNINGS.... but with difference... or without?!?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 11:31 AM

There's a big difference between gifts and earnings in a lot of country's tax codes.  Gifts can be given away as non-taxable items (up to $13,000 per person in the US), whereas winnings generally must be taxed.

• DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 12:09 PM

lol for that, but are they realy a gifts ??

Credits for Advancing Tiers

As an incentive for fine-tuning your skills, you will now earn credits for moving up the tiers. Players already in the Pro and Master tiers will receive credits for the last tier advancement made (i.e. from Amateur to Pro). Hack and Amateur tier players will receive credits upon their next tier advancement. Here is a breakdown of the number of credits you earn when advancing tiers:

• Hack to Amateur - 50 credits
    • Amateur to Pro - 100 credits
    • Pro to Master- 200 credits
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 12:20 PM

I didn't say they were gifts, just that gifts and earnings are treated separately.  If they are classified as gifts (despite what someone wrote in a legally non-binding FAQ), then there's your answer.

However, you did not technically "compete" or "enter a contest" to get those credits, so they could probably be construed as gifts.  WGT is not obligated to pay them to you based on a specific tournament that you entered, thus it's not considered a contest and contest rules do not apply.  Just a guess, I'm no tax pro.

What amazes me is the sheer number of people complaining about being handed something for nothing.  There's no conspiracy to hose internationals here, that would be a bad business model.

=/

• DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 1:30 PM

With all respect to one of the best player here (and there), my intention was not arguing and complaining. The questions were addressed to someone else. Thus, thanks for lawyery explanations.

=\

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 1:37 PM

I should clarify.  I know you're not really complaining.  That last paragraph was not meant to be directed specifically at you. It was just a general observation because there have been a decent amount of people complaining about it which totally blows my mind. 

I could've probably worded that a little more succinctly, so I apologize to you DarkoPancev if that came across wrong.  No disrespect intended.

Hopefully we at least scratched the surface of the right answer for you. :) 

• PeteConklin
    25 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:33 PM

I am wondering why I didn't recieve any credits for moving up Tiers . Please explain why

• DarkoPancev
    23 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:43 AM

Pete, stand in a line here , probably you will get an answer ;-)

• PAGES
RSS