Forums

Help › Forums

Solve the "quiters" problem.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 14 2009 3:18 PM (28 replies)
  • djnels32
    5 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:12 PM

I believe a simple way to fix the "quitters" problem, that agitates evryone. Would be to set a two or three disconnection limit a week, per player. Because apparently there will be times where a player cannot finish the match due to something else popping up. Please reply to this post so this matter will be brought to the WGT admin's attention. And to support this idea.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:37 PM

I'm collecting the various suggestions on how to alleviate the quitters mayhem in this forum post, djnels32. I have now linked back to this thread and your proposal from that post.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:49 PM

How about stop playing in groups or play only with your friends.  This eliminates quitters because if your friend has to go it is no big deal. 

I actually get tired of hearing so much talk about quitters.  But I have played a lot of golf and I have no problem with them quitting if they are playing crappy.  I don't want to play with them and they don't want to keep playing crappy.  In a perfect world everyone would record every score and wouldn't restart their games.  But we are from that and it is quite absurd to think that every time you go play in multiplayer game to think that everyone will finish the round.

If you are penalized for quitting a round that would be silly.  I have quit a few rounds because the people I was playing were rude and I personally would like to enjoy the rounds I play in multiplayer mode.  So my suggestion is get a group of friends to play with and then you won't have to complain about all the "Quitters."

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:04 PM

Then let's stop talking about this....It is getting old!!!  People quit, the end.  For various reason's.  PLay by yourself, or with friends, that aren't gonna quit on you.  my goodness, really what does it matter, as long as you continue to play and have fun???  People who are gonna let a person quitting on them get to them that much, is just silly!!!!  I would hate to see what your blood pressure is.......Seriously, it is just a game.  Just my opinion

Brandi

• ChrisCrosby
    245 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:32 PM

nothing u can do...when u are trying to beat a really low score I suppose..if you aren't far enough under by some point why play?  anyway...quitting with buddies is another thing..  that's weak sauce.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:50 PM

Hi,

As a previous post mentioned. Having somebody quit on you is the ultimate complement :-)

They have a bad shot - quit, they cant handle the pressure. Thats one up to you.

People quiting doesnt worry me in the slightest, - I usually go on and finish the round anyway.

Someone quits on you - you win.

Cheers Doug

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 4:07 AM

thunderbird:
    How about stop playing in groups

That's no solution. If your arm hurts, the solution isn't to cut away your arm. The solution is to heal it. WGT's multi-player needs to be healed by penalizing quitters, plain & simple. They don't need to be severe penalties; but there should be at least something to make folks think twice before abandoning their fellow players in a multi-player round. (I don't care if somene quits their single-player rounds all day long.)

thunderbird:
    or play only with your friends

Not practicable, because the green dots on this site don't really indicate your friends' availability to play a round. The new Status field or private messaging capabilities do not really solve this dilemma. Multiple-colour status dots are the way to go!

thunderbird:
    I actually get tired of hearing so much talk about quitters.

I get even more tired by seeing practically all of my multi-player rounds disintegrate due to quitting. Here's my quitters statistics since 9 August 2009:

Multi-Player Parody:

SUCCESS / FAILURE RATE
    for completed multi-player games as launched:
    0 / 10 (0%)

Everyone disconnected: 50%
    All but 1 player disconnected: 40%
    All but 2 players disconnected: 10%
    No one disconnected: 0%

thunderbird:
    it is quite absurd to think that every time you go play in multiplayer game to think that everyone will finish the round.

No one demands that much. The expectation is simply for most players to complete the round. Right now, the opposite is true: most players are likely to quit their round, and that is intolerable.

thunderbird:
    If you are penalized for quitting a round that would be silly.

Not at all. Silly is when you can't complete a single foursome you enter in weeks and weeks of playing multi-players.

thunderbird:
    So my suggestion is get a group of friends to play with.

That's easier said than done, because the green dots are dysfunctional. 

brandi35:
    Then let's stop talking about this....It is getting old!!!

We'll stop talking about it as soon as the issue is fixed. No one forces you to read these threads. It's true these discussion forums sorely lack moderators, because all the quitters threads should have been merged into a single thread a long time ago, instead of popping up all the time here and there in all the forum subsections, with yet another quitters thread being created almost on a daily basis.

brandi35:
    my goodness, really what does it matter

I work & play at the same time, and 4-somes are ideal for that. When 2 or 3 quitters leave the round, I can no longer work.

This entire post of mine is, in essence, useless, because it's a rehashing of what's already been said a thousand times before. But, I wanted to be polite to thunderbird & brandi35 and answer their points. (Although the same arguments were raised many times before by other posters.) The fault clearly is that these forums have no moderator and so we keep rehashing old stuff. Don't blame forum users for the absence of moderators, please.

• djnels32
    5 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 4:37 AM

Well thank you all for the advice now that i know its cool to be a "quitter" maybe now i can get my avg. down to 60 like the other WGT supermen.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 5:57 AM

Considering there is around 1 thread per week regarding "quitters", I'd say WGT probably should look to do something.

That being said, quitters don't bother me in the least.

Of course, there is the prevailing thought here that people quit rounds to save their average.   I've quit MP rounds in the past.   But do you really believe that I am indeed a mid 90's average golfer here in WGT?  

There's plenty of valid reasons to quit MP rounds here.   Such as being paired up with jerks, extremely slow loading speeds of other players, opponents who don't even know how to hit the ball, choppy swing meter, and other valid reasons.   I won't even count the in-game issues such as the extremely descriptive "Unknown Error" that I've seen on multiple occasions. 

Penalizing someone for not finishing out the round is also problematic.

Are you going to penalize someone who was shooting under par (or below their avg) that quit a MP round?

I've had MP rounds where the swing meter was practically unplayable, should I or anyone else be penalized for that?

• djnels32
    5 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 6:41 AM

You actually make a good point on this matter. Thank you.

RSS