Forums

Help › Forums

paypal v debit or credit card

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 30 2016 9:56 AM (8 replies)
  • adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 7:04 AM

i have been a member since dec 2013 using debit card to buy wgt credits based in the uk

wife asked why all  transactions had a charge added on

i found out reading bank statement it was an exchange rate fee uk banks charge

anyone outside the usa .PLEASE  GET A PAYPAL  ACCOUNT     no fees charged

i maybe a bit late posting this and someone may have posted this before if so ignore post

thx for reading

adaputter

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 7:13 AM

Speechless.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 8:35 AM

@ the OP/anybody else interested.

Have you tried purchasing credits via the mobile phone option?

As of today's exchange rates:

To purchase wgt credits via a credit card (if US based) the return for $20 worth = 2,000 wgt credits.

$19.99 package - if purchased through Zong - will return almost 3,000 wgt credits if US based.

Buying through Zong if UK based will return 1922 wgt credits for £10.

I don't buy anywhere near as regular now as I once did. If I really need to I stick £10 on an old pay-as-you-go mobile. My sim card provider then give me my monthly allowance of texts/call minutes/data (more than enough for me) and I just use the deposited £10 to purchase credits on here.

All you do is insert your mobile number after choosing the package you want. You'll receive a 4 digit code from Zong to confirm the purchase. As soon as you reply you'll get another text confirming the transaction.

Takes seconds to do, with no extra charges whatsoever. I've never ever had a problem doing so.

Hope the above helps.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 8:40 AM

adaputter:

wife asked why all  transactions had a charge added on

i found out reading bank statement it was an exchange rate fee uk banks charge

I learned this the hard way but not here. One of my suppliers is in Montreal and the first time I made a purchase with them I used my business debit card as normal and incurred that charge. Turns out it's a fee to a clearing house that handles international transactions through American banks. Fancy way to say just another bank charge.  :-(

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 8:55 AM

im just trying to save people money thats all

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 9:06 AM

When I buy credits I use a gift card from Walgreens.  Like Subway card or any other cards that you can use that WGT honors.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 9:42 AM

adaputter:

im just trying to save people money thats all

Someone stated you weren't?

Was a good, helpful post for those that aren't aware of charges.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 12:03 PM

I don't think anyone has anything but the best intentions here.  The OP is trying to warn people about hidden charges that may be incurred if you use a debit card, I certainly didn't know about that.

And Johnny is trying to let people know about an alternative payment method, one with very good rates.  He isn't disparaging anyone in any way.

Zong is also my payment method of choice, apart from the good credits per Euro exchange rate there is also no entry on a bank statement that may lead to awkward conversations later  : )

• bobcourt
    2,179 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 9:56 AM

Being based in South Africa (with our cr..ppy exchange rate) WGT has become relatively expensive. 14.45 Rands to $1.00 and 21.74 Rands to BP 1.00

I also use ZONG via the (old) mobile phone option - best method and fairly quick.

Our highest option in South Africa to purchase is SAR50 (which is the equivalent of US $3.46 and BP2.30) and R50 buys only 368 WGT credits.

$10 = 1269 credits. But $10 = SAR144.50 so three transactions of R50 each gets me 1104 WGT credits.

BP 5 = 914 credits. The Rand equivalent is R108.70 and would get me 800 WGT credits!

SO, a set of balls costing 450 credits ($3.55 / BP2.46) will cost me the equivalent of $4.23 and BP 2.81 (lol, plenty of maths going on here)

What this all means is that it costs more to play WGT in South Africa than U.K. or U.S.A.

Ian (bobcourt)

RSS