Forums

Help › Forums

Durability comparison

Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:32 PM (41 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Feb 27 2011 10:59 AM

The last three balls types I have been using are the GI2-SD2 (Legend); Calloway Tour i(z) and the Calloway Tour i(z) legend.  Considering the amount I play I find that the Calloway legend ball durability is considerably less than the GI2-SD2 (legend) although the specs indicate 1/2 dot more durability with the Calloway Tour i(z) Legend ball than the GI2-SD2.  I definitely enjoy the performance of the new Legend Calloway.  WIthin one day of playing I bought 4 sleeves of balls.  Wow, thats alot considering I might have bought only one sleeve of the Calloway Tour i(z) with the same amount of play. 

Durability Specs;

GI2-SD2;                         1.5 dots

Calloway Legend          2 dots;

Calloway non-legend   2.5 dots

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Mar 5 2011 3:59 PM

A excellent post in equipment and avatars display a ball durability comparison chart;

racoondad:

Ball Type -- Durability -- Hits -- 9-hole Round per $*

WGT GI-S Ball -- 2-dot -- 120 hits -- 35 Rd/$

WGT GI3-D Ball -- 1.5-dot -- 110 hits -- 16.7 Rd/$  (reported by andyson)

WGT Tour GI-SD Ball -- 1-dot -- 90 hits -- 11.5 Rd/$

WGT Legend GI2-SD2 Ball -- 1.5-dot -- 95 hits -- 8.8 Rd/$  (confirmed by andyson)

Callaway Tour i(s) Ball -- 2.5-dot -- 120 hits -- 6.9 Rd/$

* This is the number of 9-hole rounds you can play with every dollar (or 100 credits) you spend on the type of balls. It is calculated based on 21 hits per 9-hole round (par 36 and 67% green-in-regulation) and ball color with the lowest price.

Great post;

I presently use the calloway Legend balls which has a rating of 2 dots of durability.   I am definitely not seeing 95 hits / ball with a durability rating of 1.5 dots.   Assuming you reach the green in regulation and putts don't count against the durability of the ball that would translate to 5.3 9-hole rounds.  I am lucky that I get 2 rounds / ball.  Which also has a 2 dots of durability.  Could someone please check the durability of the ball on WGT's end.

I responded to the above post in the paragraph above.  But I have bought 6 sleeves of balls this week.  Assuming 2 dot durability and 120 shots / ball that would translate to 6.5 9-hole rounds.  Thus, from 6 sleeves of balls I should roughly get 120 rounds.  Obviously, I have not play 120 rounds of golf in 5 days.

Also, perhaps that is why I am seeing unusual results when I hit an iron shot.  Parameters don't match the golf ball characteristic displayed in the pro-shop

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2011 9:52 PM

Sorry WGT, but I do believe something is wrong with the durability of the Calloway legend balls.

I have purchase 4 sleeves of the Calloway Tour i(z) legend balls this week with only 20 ranked rounds played.

To me that is excessive wear

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:16 AM

I have been tracking the wear characteristics of the new Calloway ball.  I'm sure putting are being counted as hits.

I started with a fresh ball,  total of 31 strokes, 12 putts.   I have used 30% of the balls life.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:26 AM

No similar problem with the non-Legend Callaway i(z) ball.  They are lasting about 120 hits and do not count putts as a hit.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:41 AM

andyson:

No similar problem with the non-Legend Callaway i(z) ball.  They are lasting about 120 hits and do not count putts as a hit.

Thanks Andy, that is good to know. I am presently conducting my own usage table.  I just think that 4 sleeves of balls in 3 days, is excessive.  Considering the number of practice and ranked rounds I have had doesn't equate properly.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 11:17 AM

Just to chime in,.

We appriciate you all keeping an eye on this. Please provide more observations, so I could make sure we check into it.

-wgticon

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:29 PM

Just complete a durability observation with Calloway Tour i(z) legend ball;

Approximately,  115 shots, with 41 putts;

Round Type                Total shots            # of putts

9-hole                           31                        12

random 3                      10                          4

9-hole                             29                        10

alt-shot                             8                           2

9-hole                            32                           13

total                                                                 110                            41

Based on this information and the info reported by Andy, putts are being counted towards the durability of the ball.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:09 AM

Any news on this Infinito?  WGTicon?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:17 AM

Something doesn't make sense. Andyson says no problem with 120 hits and Infinito shows 110 with 41 putts. Are those 41 putts part of the 110? If not there's no conclusion to be made other than the balls get 110-120 hits.

RSS