Forums

Help › Forums

Farewell WGT

Sat, May 7 2016 3:49 PM (24 replies)
  • sMcRocket
    9 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 5:44 AM

Farewell WGT.  I will be back when I hear you have decided to spend some of your revenue on product performance rather than stupid enhancements like congratulatory voices, applause and bright flash text images.  

You see, I was forced to buy a new computer because my trusted XP unit is no longer supported.  Everything about windows10 is better, except WGT.  No matter how many adjustments I make to my set up, no matter what browser I use, the game now sucks.  The mouse lag makes it impossible to hit the snap (an old Links2000 term for bottom of the swing, or ding) and I cannot use chat in multiplayer games because my spacebar no longer works.  And finally when shots are in process the images twitches, like it is trying to use the shot accelerator I have chosen not to use.

WGT needs to take some of the large sums of money I and my friends have spent buying virtual equipment and  golf balls (to use on virtual course that conveniently incorporate virtual OB lines that do not exist on the actual course - but do drive increased ball sales) and actually spend it on making the game function properly on all available operating systems and browsers.  I should not have to spend hours trying to find and set up numerous configuration changes to play an on-line game that has been around in one form or another for 20 years on a brand new latest generation PC and operating system.

For those of you that are too young or simply don't remember Links2000, it was woonderful.  It had great multi-play interaction and it even worked great on a dial-up modem - go figure.  It went the way of all on-line apps that were free.  One would think programmers working on a revenue generating app could be required to do just as well with the latest technology.  Until they do, I am done wasting my time and money

Farewell for now,

sMcRocket

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 10:35 AM

I hear you on one thing, I also find my meter is worse since I went to Windows 10.  Sometimes good, sometimes terrible.  And the ball often moves across the sky like an old stop motion film.

I'm rather surprised to find WGT no longer works on XP machines though, never heard that before.

And the space bar issue is a Chrome fault, nothing to do with WGT as far as I'm aware.

As to virtual OOB lines, yes, they can be frustrating when they occur too close to fairways but WGT have to draw the lines somewhere and since we're all aware of where they are most of the time we only have ourselves to blame if we ignore them.

If I may go back even further in time, how about Links 386?  Where you could play the ball to anywhere you liked on the entire course, that was great fun.  Made for rubbish scores but playing cross golf was brilliant.  Come to think of it, Links 386 also had a feature I've long been asking for here.  Go into the red zone on the swing meter and you got a longer shot but you had to be very accurate with the ding/snap.  Risk/reward, it's what keeps life interesting.

As far as WGT goes I'm a die hard fan.  Sure I've spent some money on it but given the hours of fun I've got out of it I consider it good value.  It has it's faults, no doubt about that but considering the scale of what they offer here I think they do OK well most of the time.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 11:04 AM

MainzMan:

If I may go back even further in time, how about Links 386?

I could go to xtcabandoware and d/l Links 386 and the dosbox and play it in 10 mins. If I ever get the hang of it I would play it. I play a few other games so that one is still on the shelf for now.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 1:49 PM

sMcRocket:

Farewell WGT.  I will be back when I hear you have decided to spend some of your revenue on product performance rather than stupid enhancements like congratulatory voices, applause and bright flash text images.  

You see, I was forced to buy a new computer because my trusted XP unit is no longer supported.  Everything about windows10 is better, except WGT.  No matter how many adjustments I make to my set up, no matter what browser I use, the game now sucks.  The mouse lag makes it impossible to hit the snap (an old Links2000 term for bottom of the swing, or ding) and I cannot use chat in multiplayer games because my spacebar no longer works.  And finally when shots are in process the images twitches, like it is trying to use the shot accelerator I have chosen not to use.

WGT needs to take some of the large sums of money I and my friends have spent buying virtual equipment and  golf balls (to use on virtual course that conveniently incorporate virtual OB lines that do not exist on the actual course - but do drive increased ball sales) and actually spend it on making the game function properly on all available operating systems and browsers.  I should not have to spend hours trying to find and set up numerous configuration changes to play an on-line game that has been around in one form or another for 20 years on a brand new latest generation PC and operating system.

For those of you that are too young or simply don't remember Links2000, it was woonderful.  It had great multi-play interaction and it even worked great on a dial-up modem - go figure.  It went the way of all on-line apps that were free.  One would think programmers working on a revenue generating app could be required to do just as well with the latest technology.  Until they do, I am done wasting my time and money

Farewell for now,

sMcRocket

On behalf of WGT, ty for your post and we will see you tomorrow..:)

ps...you seriously need to upgrade your lob wedge !

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 4:52 PM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 8:19 PM

TopShelf2010:
    This is a new one to me and find it difficult to believe.

Believe it, Windows dropped support for XP a while ago. Doesn't mean XP doesn't work, just that Windows doesn't do anything for it any more.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 8:51 PM

MainzMan:
    Come to think of it, Links 386 also had a feature I've long been asking for here.  Go into the red zone on the swing meter and you got a longer shot but you had to be very accurate with the ding/snap.  Risk/reward, it's what keeps life interesting.

My Sega game had that too...thing is, if WGT incorporated that function, "some" players would just keep distancing themselves from those who rely on hand eye coordination.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 2:51 AM

sMcRocket:

Farewell for now,

sMcRocket

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 11:05 AM

On behalf of WGT, ty for your post and we will see you tomorrow..:)

ps...you seriously need to upgrade your lob wedge !

Typical !

Hi Rocket ,  try this...Control panel> System and Security>SYSTEM (in bold green)>advanced system settings (far left)> Performance settings , visual effects , processor scheduling , memory usage , and virtual memory> set to Adjust for best performance> Restart Comp.

~Ace~

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 12:47 PM

Very sound advice from Ace and it is worthwhile doing.

I would also try different browsers, Maxthon for me works well, but sadly it is often trial and error to see what works best with your system.

I used to use the CPU usage meter that came with Maxthon, but unfortunately is not available on full screen.  However there are others you can use, which allows you to wait until the CPU usage drops before hitting.

When I used XP, I would pull back on the swing, hold and wait for a few seconds before hitting. I use Win 10 now, and it took a lot of tinkering to optimise my laptop for playing WGT.

I suppose the biggest thing if you are looking for a smooth meter is to only have the game client running and kill background tasks that are not required. Programs like Norton running will kill a smooth meter, so look carefully what is running. New laptops/computers are also cluttered with non essential tasks/programs.

Yes we have to jump through the hoops to play. but it is still a great game and IMO, worth persevering.

RSS