Help › Forums

Your first game on Bethpage

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 18 2011 6:20 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MioKontic
    4,598 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:40 AM

Do you remember your first game on Bethpage?  What did you score?  Not 100% certain if it was my first one or not, but I do remember shooting 17 over par very early on, and I was lucky to get that.  It was nigh on impossible.  And I was at least an amateur by then if not a Pro.

Just askin'

• NickN85
    193 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:32 AM

BP was not my first course of choice so it was about 30 rounds of alt-shot and ranked before i got to it...

36 on back 9

32 on front 9

best score was a 31 on front 9

havent completed an 18 hole round on it yet.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:36 AM

On WGT it was probably at least an 80. I remember confidently pounding all my approach shots directly into the heavy rough short of the greens.

On the real Bethpage Black, eons ago, I remember only the 7th hole because there I parred the hole (playing for ordinary golfers as a par 5) after stubbing my drive short of the fairway. The rest is a blur.

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 5:23 AM

It was the first course I played when first joining here, since it was the host of the US Open (or PGA Champ?) sometime before. I maybe scored 30 over or more I'm sure. Now my best score there is even par. I now usually score 74 to 78 now more often since becoming master.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 7:24 AM

I first played Bethpage in June 2009 when it was set up for Open Qualifying.  I was new and tried my hand using my starter clubs and the only balls they had... starter balls!  My score was not pretty.  A visit to the clubhouse grill afterwards brightened my spirits with a double gin & tonic.

• GambitMaia
    93 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:16 AM

If I remember it well, 92 :)

What about your 1st one at Oakmont? Man, mine was something over 100!

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:31 AM

My first full 18 hole round at Bethpage I shot a 90 something. I remember thinking to myself that I got to keep this under a hundred and I did. But my first ever game on this site was at Oakmont. And I played a 18 hole game and somehow shot a 82. Now I know that's not great my any stretch of the imagination but first ever game on here........I would say that's pretty good.

Master Yoda

• PorkyWalrus
    607 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 10:40 AM

My first 2 attempts at Oakmont were 90 both times, and I birdied the same hole as the first time. Now my best there is 74.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:07 PM

I believe it was between 98 and 115, can not be sure, but it was ugly. Just finished trying my hand in the February 18 hole unlimited on BB with heavy winds. Never tried playing with heavy winds there before. I thought that playing St.A with their winds would have prepared me.

I was wrong.

I could not hit the fairways, let alone try to land on the greens. It was like playing the course again for the first time and it slapped me around pretty good.

My hat is off to those who have and will post the low leading scores in this tournament. They are earning it.

• Switz71
    278 Posts
    Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:30 PM

To the best of my knowledge, I have no recollection of this event.

Sleeve of balls 64 credits

Rapture Club Set  2718 credits

Spider Putter  60 credits (rental)

Reload another sleeve of balls  64 credits

Shooting a 113 on Bethrage = Priceless

• PAGES
RSS