Help › Forums

Begging for suggestions.

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:38 PM (2 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 3:54 PM

Reaching out to the best of the best. Have played 56 holes today and I am

beside myself. Should have had 4 of the best rounds I have ever played.

In 56 holes I have had 23 birdie putts that either lip out or miss the hole

by a hair right or left. I have really tried to take my time and study these

shots. Not getting upset, would sure like to know how to fine tune these

putts. I'm ready to start getting into some tournaments but not with this

putting of mine. Help me folks, I'm so addicted to this crazy thing I can't

bail out now. Hoping to hear from somebody. It will be greatly appreciated.

renniw52

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:19 PM

join the club, im told practice, practice practice. i call it cantfrigginputtworthadamnitis.

-G

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:38 PM

You called?  The best is here!

Firstly, you were beside yourself - were you playing an alt shot game or some other multi-player game?

I thought my maths was pretty good, but I can't fathom out how 56 holes can be 4 rounds!  When I was at school 18*4 was 72, not 56.  Replace some of those 18's with 9's... and it still doesn't add up to 56!

Well, I guess none of that was any help.  Or was it???  If you think that 18*4 is 56 then I see your problem.

Example:
    You have a 20ft putt, 4in uphill on fast greens.  For ease, lets assume the putt has no turn, i.e. it's straight.  With fast greens you should hit the same distance on the meter.  So, how far should you hit?  Well, it's 1ft for every inch uphill, that's 4ft.  And 20+4=...21.  And you end up 3ft short!  Now put a break in it and, well, you'd still be short, but you wouldn't be on line either.  If 20+4=27 and there is a bit of slope, you will always miss on the high side (if you've aimed it correctly)!

So, my advice, learn your maths.

Seriously now, it can only be a matter of trial and error, and lots of practice.  The more you play, the more you will understand how much a ball will turn on the slopes, how much more they are likely to run down the hill than the slope suggests (Oakmont #2), etc, etc, etc.  And eventually you will start sinking them.  If you were lipping them, then you're not far off - adjust your aim accordingly.  Be careful when reading increase or decrease in elevation; the hole may be 4in above or below where the ball is on the green, but the ground in between may be anything but!  Have you allowed a little less break for your ball to go a foot ot two by?  Need to take everything into account.

RSS