Forums

Help › Forums

Versa#1 lv 70 vs Versa #1 lv 96

Mon, Dec 7 2015 10:28 PM (26 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 6:13 PM

I have a good friend who firmly believes that you get what you pay for...in this case, the more expensive the putter, the better it is...some on here seem to support that thinking. A few have also mentioned some very gifted players who effectively use "average" putters.

I believe that each person's comfort level with the putter, and their ability to read the greens, will always trump the number of dots on a club, or the price of it. 

Alas, like Lily, putting has never been my strong suit, but I am level 105 and have played many people who use all sorts of putters...some of the very best  I've played against still use the Rossa, or the basic spider, or the level 70 versa...hell, some still use the starter putter...it's what they are comfortable with....and they sink almost everything using them.

point being...money will never buy talent ...and the most expensive clubs don't guarantee a damn thing...except a lighter wallet.

my .02

• MrQueez
    559 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2015 10:22 PM

The L70 Versa was the 1st putter I bought and have never changed.  I practiced tons on putting.  It was rather tedious but it paid off.  There is no magic wand for putting it really boils down to reading the greens correctly.

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 5:13 AM

MrQueez:

The one putt thru three putt % looks similar like mine...except in reverse...lol

ps.. I make up for it with four putt % and higher...I believe in getting my monies worth on the green...:)

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 10:24 AM

MrQueez:

The L70 Versa was the 1st putter I bought and have never changed.  I practiced tons on putting.  It was rather tedious but it paid off.  There is no magic wand for putting it really boils down to reading the greens correctly.

You left out the part of ;

G.I.R. 94%

AVG. distance to Pin 8ft.

With a good short game the putts are easier to make which is what I told them .If they cant putt well with the L70+ then the 96+ wont help them either . As stated its not a magic wand its a putter .

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:10 PM

DAputts:
    PS...mantis...The brain is a strange place, because now I expect to miss the putt just a little off line or short..thinkin I can't trust it...

I don't think that's you,  that is happening to everybody now.  Aim or click wider than you think and add a little extra to your distance calculations. 

I you are start to ring the cup ( I have to be careful with choice of words...lol)  then you might be hitting it too hard.  That is good because you know you are making it to the hole at least.

-Roger

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:21 PM

I love the level 70 versa and putted pretty well with it, I look at it like the L96 is the same putter with a wider ding....

if I had to give up the L96 my 1st choice would be the M1, 2nd would be the L70....

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:41 PM

As the stick in the mud :)

If I wanted to ding everything I would veer M1 then L96 then L70.

I I wanted to ding everything and were tied to mostly the 100' scale definitely the above.

Mixing and matching (mostly aiming the marker) the L70 feels better.  The slower meter is a nice to have with the L81 ball for me too.

I agree with just about everything Lonnie said as well, and use that as context really.

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:50 PM

"If I wanted to ding everything and were tied to mostly the 100' scale definitely the above."

...tied to the 100 ft scale?...oi vey...you may want to work a bit on approach shots...lol

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 3:59 PM

ct690911:

"If I wanted to ding everything and were tied to mostly the 100' scale definitely the above."

...tied to the 100 ft scale?...oi vey...you may want to work a bit on approach shots...lol

Some use that a bit more than they should IMO (balance / precision thing)........Like I said also agree with what Lonnie says....

In the hands of a competent putter all those putters will be close from say 20'.  Picking out which putter is producing more hole outs, from that range, would be a job for the local nerd who likes lots of numbers after decimal points, and discussing the insignificant 10th ones..........JMO :).............All a v personal thing putting, just that nothing magical happens to poor putting stats by changing.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 7:00 PM

24 or 34 dollar putters vs 49 vs...

How come no one talks about this guys (Sebicu) putter....? Cuz it's like 7 bucks? ;-))

RSS