Help › Forums

The Art of the Flop Shot

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 25 2009 11:10 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 9:21 PM

Having revealed the flop shot to several players in game with great results, I thought it might be beneficial to summarize it here.

The flop shot is characterized by a steep angle of attack in order to generate a high trajectory shot in the hopes of either dodging a steep bunker lip and/or landing the ball softly. The dynamics of a real flop shot are very well represented in WGT: When you switched into the flop category, you'll notice that your character will significantly open his or her stance and also open the club face. These variations allow the player to get the ball in the air quickly and land the shot softly.

How to prepare for an effective flop shot:

1. Considering the open stance and open club face, it follows that the shot is going to naturally spray the ball to the right, and indeed it will. You must accomodate for this by moving your target left of the pin anywhere from 10 to 40 degrees, depending on the length of the shot. Get a feel for how far left you need to set up in practice mode before taking the shot into ranked play or tournaments.

NOTE: Many players resort to clicking the swing meter early in order to hit the ball left as opposed to manually moving the target line. *This will not apply for the flop shot* If you make an attempt to accomodate for the push by clicking the swing meter early, you will practically duff the shot, and it won't even get airborne. Remeber that the swing meter not only determines how straight you hit the golf shot, it is also responsible for measuring how solidly you hit the shot.

Conditions that warrent the flop shot:

1. Uphill shots, especially into greens that slope away: The No. 4 Par 5 at Beth Page is a great example. Most second shots leave you with a nasty uphill shot to a pin placed on a steep downslope. These kinds of shots are taylormade (no pun intended) for the flop shot.

2. Steep bunker shots: I would imagine that, like me, most of you have gotten frustrated at a bunker and hit too delofted of a club, resulting in the ball slamming into the lip of the bunker and quite often putting you right back in the sand. If you haven't had an experience like this, you will when the Old Course at St. Andrews is implimented into WGT. Many elevated green side shots, either elevated by the depth of the bunker or otherwise, can be simplified by hitting a flop shot. Not only will you take the burden of reading the green out of play for a hopeful pitch shot, but you'll often be faced with shorter putts and will get up and down more consistently.

• ChesterMcGanahan
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 9:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm off to play a few practice holes with nothing but flop shots.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 11:15 PM

Hi,

I to love the flop !!

Just one other point I would like to make. For the majority of flop shots, under 25 yards - you will probably be in some form of trouble - in rough, on fringe, in the sand - so make sure you take the degree of rough into consideration for the degree of power when hittting the shot. Ocassionally I use it from the fairway, but most times its a get out of jail type shot. Once within range, you know that most times you can get up and down.

Cheers Doug

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 6:50 AM

Also if you are hitting it to a considerably uphill surface from where the ball is, it will still roll a lot.  It's mostly a feel thing that you need to practice to get used to.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 12:44 PM

I love the flop shot however I only use it from 24 yds or less...I never really try it from further away. I use it so much with the starter wedges I can predict it with great accuracy. Now I'm afraid to get new wedges because I'm so used to the distances I have now.  I'm going to have to take a chance & get new ones someday......I've been looking at the raptures for awhile now.  I hope they will do my flop shots justice when I finally make the move!  Also I use that shot from every lie but the green...somehow it works for me.

• Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 4:48 PM

Actually Lysti, you can only hit flop shots with your lofted wedges (54 and 60). Work your way up to the upgraded wedges. It's true that you'll have to become acclimated to new distances, but you'll be able to hit shots further, with more precision and with more spin. Good luck!

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 4:54 PM

Yes I mean  the ping wedges.. but I want the rapture iron set as well...but wondering what the snake eyes wedge is like...

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 8:25 PM

I often have a problem with a short yardage flop shot from a bunker.  You have to power down, even the 60 degree wedge.  Sometimes it seems that there just isn't enough backswing and the ball goes almost nowhere.  Any suggestions?

• Hydronix
    39 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 11:49 PM

Yes, I've noticed this as well, but I think it has more to do with the lie. If you have a 19 yard green side bunker shot  a 15% lie, hitting a 20 yard shot on your meter is plenty, whereas if you have a 30% lie, you'll need another club. You'll also miss a lot of flop shots as the result of not striking them accurately on the swing meter.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 3:47 AM

Haven't tried a flop yet but it sounds like the right thing to stay on those back sloping greens. 

Question....do you adjust the ball spot to impart more backspin or is it inherent in the flop already?

• PAGES
RSS