RIP~Yogi Berra

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 25 2015 11:58 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 11:10 AM

andyson:

I suppose it's because I grew up in the midwest that I didn't (and still don't) like Yankee players with two exceptions.  Mantle and Berra. They just seemed to be regular folk I would like as neighbors.  Rest in peace Yogi.

"90% of this game is half mental" -Yogi Berra

Ha ~ Like you, my almost 68 Pop grew up in Kan-Okla yet he has only loved one team ~ Yankees esp Berra & Mantle. He has traveled much to NY on business and says he loves it...except for the filth, the people, the foreigners, the bums, the smell, the traffic, the prices, the arrogant airs, and the fact that it is infested with democrats....like Mantle, Berra was one of those people you think will live forever...and in rememberance I suppose he will  ~ Lily ~

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 12:20 PM

andyson:

newcastleb:
    It's not just Yankee fans who will be sadden by the news of his passing

Indeed Thomas!  I suppose it's because I grew up in the midwest that I didn't (and still don't) like Yankee players with two exceptions.  Mantle and Berra. They just seemed to be regular folk I would like as neighbors.  Rest in peace Yogi.

"90% of this game is half mental" -Yogi Berra

No one or at least not many people didn't like or at least respect Yogi. However I never liked Mantle at least not after seeing him play in person at old Briggs Stadium in  Detroit in 1958 or 1959. Mantle as always was playing center field and that day Yogi was playing right field. Obviously Mantle had spent most of the night if not all of it drinking and was so drunk or hungover that he couldn't even find the ball. No it was not a high sun day. Actually it was slightly overcast.  On at least 3 plays Yogi had to run into center field to get the ball and throw it into the infield. On the last play like that Yogi just shook his head. 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 4:56 PM

I always loved hearing him talk, or try to. I am fortunate enough to have seen him play. A jewel for sure. Will be missed.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2015 11:58 PM

Amen, to what everyone has said.  Yogi, You made our world a better place.  Thank you , God Bless and Rest In Peace.

phred952

• PAGES
RSS