Help › Forums

RIP~Yogi Berra

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 25 2015 11:58 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gdog8
    1,356 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 6:54 AM

Heartfelt condolences to all Yankee fans from a diehard Red Sox fan.  When you think Yogi Berra most would associate him with the HOF catcher with the Yankees with whom He won 10 World Series Championships.  

Obviously his reach and scopes goes beyond baseball and New York where he played all but one year of his career.  He also served in WW2 in the Navy as a gunner's mate during the D-day invasion of France.

You don't have to be a baseball junkie to have heard many of his "Yogisms".  Hear  them all the time playing alt even on this game and tenfold better then anything the commentary that WGT plays.  Cheers and Godspeed.

• newcastleb
    1,813 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 7:31 AM

It's not just Yankee fans who will be sadden by the news of his passing, but all baseball fans old enough to remember, for we have all be blessed by his skills, talents, and the wonderful Yogi-isms.  

Thomas

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:12 AM

newcastleb:
    It's not just Yankee fans who will be sadden by the news of his passing

Indeed Thomas!  I suppose it's because I grew up in the midwest that I didn't (and still don't) like Yankee players with two exceptions.  Mantle and Berra. They just seemed to be regular folk I would like as neighbors.  Rest in peace Yogi.

"90% of this game is half mental" -Yogi Berra

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:21 AM

my Hero as a kid playing as a catcher from little league through HS ball.  A really great man that left a lot more to this world than he ever took from it.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 1:04 PM

newcastleb:

It's not just Yankee fans who will be sadden by the news of his passing, but all baseball fans old enough to remember, for we have all be blessed by his skills, talents, and the wonderful Yogi-isms.  

Thomas

Well said Thomas!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:00 PM

phiber:

my Hero as a kid playing as a catcher from little league through HS ball.  A really great man that left a lot more to this world than he ever took from it.

I used to play third base, always wore my cap backwards...my JV Coach (as he was going to move to Varsity Coach the following year ) told me You're gonna be a catcher next year...

Okay...

So being a big fan of all baseball/football/basket ball paperback books of players, I picked up the one on Yogi Berra..

Yogi used to talk to the batters...friendly caht..

"How's the wife doing Dave?"...

"Kids doing good in school?"...etc, etc..\\To the point the batters would almost plead with Yogi to not talk to them, so they could concentrate on the AB, as it wold start them thinking of other things and distract them.

So, following year, I start catching for HS and American Legion, armed with my "new found" knowledge of how to distract hitters, vis Yogi Berra...worked pretty well for awhile..

"Hey, you have nice car?"

"I have a '57 Chevy"

You have a Girlfriend?"

"I need one"

Ect, till this one day I pulled my best "Yogi distraction" on a CF from Beyer High.

"STFU"

I didn't

He then smacked with his bat on top of my helmet, effing laid me out.

I quit the "Yogi way" then.

But, agree with all that was said, I read where he sent Johnny Bench a letter congratulating Bench on breaking his home run record for a catcher.

Said something like "I always thought it would stand, until someone broke it".

Yogi was full of them.

• Kragwwyn
    88 Posts
    Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:22 PM

When Yogi's wife Carmen asked him where he would like to be buried, Yogi replied

"I don't know Carm,  surprise me."

RIP Yogi

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 6:38 AM

Not only a great ball player but the master of Yogi'ism's.

"No one ever goes there any more .. it's always too crowded"   etc etc

And my all time favorite.

"You should always go to your friends funerals .. or they won't come to yours". 

You out lived almost all of them Yogi ... RIP

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 10:49 AM

alanti:

newcastleb:

Thomas

Well said Thomas!

I agree, will miss the "Yogi-isms"

• Pootick
    1,185 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2015 10:54 AM

Yogi will always be one of the brightest stars in baseballs crown. Thanks Yogi!

• PAGES
RSS