Forums

Help › Forums

Sand or Rough from Short Yardage

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 16 2009 12:58 PM (5 replies)
  • MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 10:55 AM

I'm having a problem with short yardage greenside from sand or deep rough.  My 60 wedge gets 65 full and 21 flop.  But if the distance is 12 or 14, powering down the swing doesn't always work.  Is there a good rule of thumb when the distance is very short and the club is too long?  

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:18 AM

hi,

there are different plays from different situations: let's assume you are talking about 30/40 sand (quite rare on BP). only way you could get used to it if you get in that and then hit your clubs from it, such as first 3 clubs pitch/flop and see how far it'll go. then write that down and in the future you would know. thats the best advice i can give u.

in regard to certain very close lies. such as behind #5 on bp. i found that little practice and flop works. you only have about 2-3 yards spot to land it to have it stop inside 5ft. otherwise if its too short it'll skid through or too far just run by.

if you are in the deep rough behind sand. you are left with inside 20yard shot from deep rough and almost 0 green to work with. few options work. punch or pitch. it depends how u practiced them and how far each go for u.

there isn't a basic answer to any of these questions, and practice makes it perfect:)

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:48 AM

Thanks.  I hope they'll add a driving range, practice bunker and putting green.  Like a real golf course, that's where you can learn these things as well as warm up before a round.

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 11:55 AM

Always....and I mean ALWAYS check your buried percentange.  You always have to hit your chose club harder, maybe much harder, than normal based on the percetages given.

For instance....if you have a 10 yard shot and the percentage is 40% buried, then you should calculate a 14 yard shot...or more if uphill.  If the club you've chosen doesn't cover your calculations to reach the pin, choose a longer club to get out of the rough.   There's a lot that goes into it like uphill or downhill, wind, etc. but that's basically it.  Always calculate the larger percentage of buried to gauge distance.  If 10 yards, 35% to 40% buried, multiply by 1.4 to the base distance OR by .4 and add.  10 X 1.4 = 14  10 X .4 = 4 +10 = 14. 

Works for me for the most part.

Near the green I prefer a flop shot and have had good results (flopped in) with it but I ain't gonna tell ya 'how to' unless I get a six-pack of Heineken!  :)

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 12:53 PM

Where do I send it?  All game tips are appreciated.

Wouldn't it be interesting if we could transfer points between players.  Buy a beer, pay off a bet.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jul 16 2009 12:58 PM

Transferring points would be very cool.  Then AvatarLee could caddy for me, as promised.  Though he did say it was gonna cost me...

RSS