Forums

Help › Forums

Black R1

Thu, Jul 2 2015 3:17 PM (36 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 1:44 PM

SweetiePie:
    Easy as you go there bub....you are only a single bong-hit away from a long nap and missing out on the free rental

It lasted 4 holes before I quit the round and put the R1 back. Been there, done that and confirmed my suspicions. Carry on fooling yourself.  :-)

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 2:00 PM

the L99 R1 seems to go 5-7 yards farther than the Bertha. Only hole I have a question about is 10 at Merion. I need to test to see if the R1 can cover that tree like the Bertha can

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:48 PM

derekortt:
    I need to test to see if the R1 can cover that tree like the Bertha can

Loft doesn't get you off that tree, shot shape does.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 4:52 PM

derekortt:
    the L99 R1 seems to go 5-7 yards farther than the Bertha

It is possible I suppose, and Y-Jim can't be easily fooled. I imagine it is in the ball. I only play with the Nike Plat and have noticed that the cheaper Cali balls and the "good" free tournament gift balls are sneaky long, even longer than the higher distance rated Plat's...more roll out and silly long at Andy's.  But I shy away from suprizes

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 5:33 PM

YankeeJim:

derekortt:
    I need to test to see if the R1 can cover that tree like the Bertha can

Loft doesn't get you off that tree, shot shape does.

It does. I was never able to get over the top limb with the SLDR. Only when I switched with the Bertha could I take a more direct line.

The L99 R1 also allows it

One thing I am not liking about the R1 is it is much harder to ding the L97 irons

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:12 PM

derekortt:
    I was never able to get over the top limb with the SLDR. Only when I switched with the Bertha could I take a more direct line

We can't be talking about the same tree. There's no way you're going over the tree on the 10th tee at Merion, it's right on top of the tee. You have to go around it, draw style.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2015 7:41 PM

SweetiePie:

derekortt:
    the L99 R1 seems to go 5-7 yards farther than the Bertha

It is possible I suppose, and Y-Jim can't be easily fooled. I imagine it is in the ball. I only play with the Nike Plat and have noticed that the cheaper Cali balls and the "good" free tournament gift balls are sneaky long, even longer than the higher distance rated Plat's...more roll out and silly long at Andy's.  But I shy away from suprizes

Lizard69 and I did a few tests while playing. He had the 289 R1 (or whatever that new high level driver is), and I had the 287 BB. We both had Cally 34's ( they are longer 90% of the time than any Nike ball). During our play, we would use no spin, full spin, etc and only count dinged shots. The BB was longer on almost every tee shot. I am still hoping to get the xp's (90,000 short) before the offer goes away, though. I'll get the driver just "because". Don't really need or want it, but I know I won't play long enough to reach level 100, anyway.

And those free promo balls are the longest balls of any. If only the meter was +.5 slower.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 12:54 PM

oneeyedjohn:
    I think we both got 100,000 XP's within a month.

LOL  yea,  that was fun.   Wish I had kept that R1 as a memento.  I like the Bertha a bit better.   The new 289 yd R15 doesn't offer anything for me to be interested though.  Mulligans and Nike black ball with the Bertha and the R15.  R15 had about 3 yards more carry which I would like but no way would I add a 4.5 meter club with everything else being 3.5( putter excluded).

I can only think that there will be some new high level irons with 4.5 meter speed. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2015 9:37 PM

gatorman66:
    Why won't WGT simply say how long it will be available.I need about 25,000 more points

Set up a par 3 tourney in your CC - chew through that in no time (hopefully in time bearing in mind a down time already due).

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Tue, Jun 30 2015 4:45 PM

^This is what I did as well (made a CC, but for STA Front 9 instead), but based off of last time, it should be gone in late August, and maybe be back for Black Friday around 11/26 (bough the L48 and L11 clubs in black back then in '13).

RSS