Forums

Help › Forums

The Open 2015 at St. Andrews

Mon, Jul 20 2015 8:34 PM (370 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2015 3:18 PM

shovlovin:

As a Scot i would very much like to thank the Yanks for giving us the pleasure of ; 1) The brilliance , dedication, knowledge and foresight of The Golden Bear

2) Everything that is Tom Watson.

3) Phil Nicholson for his smile and warmth.

and the American public for your support.

Nice comment : )), you not part of the several sleeve competitions shov?

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2015 3:19 PM

Picks in the box :

• lol, Rose -11
    • Bufallo, Mc Ilroy -12
    • Mushy, Mickelson -12
    • Yankee, Spieth - 14
    • Pault, Stenson -9
    • Als, Spieth - 11
    • don, Ooosthizen 10
    • bubbs, D Johnson - 15
    • Corwyn, Poulter - 14
    • gdog, A. Scott -11
    • andys, Snedeker - 13
    • sweet, Woods - 9
    • onee, Fowler - 16
    • Nicole, Gallacher - 16
    • Stobs, Casey - 11
    • craig, Day - 11
    • Ron, B Watson - 9
    • twin, Reed - 14
    • vesta, Garcia - 13
    • adey, Grace - 14
    • onee, Watson - 14
    • 1enig, Donald - 12
    • razza, F Molinari - 12
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 1 2015 3:26 PM

TarheelsRule:

During my trips over there, we have pretty much been able to get on any of the courses that we want, although we always do Scotland only so I can't speak for England.   I do know that Turnberry, Carnoustie, St Andrews, Troon and others that I'm leaving out were all accessible to us via our travel agent.

St Andrews was a little strange, you got into a lottery, they only allowed so many non members a day, think it was like 6 foursomes.  However if they had opening or cancellations you could step in.   Last trip we teed off at 4:40 which sort of ruined our playing 36 holes at each course, however we were able to play at one of the other St Andrews courses which are near by.   I think this system is only for the Old Course, which BTW is my least favorite of all the courses I have played there.  It was also the most expensive and had the worse caddies.

St. Andrews (the Old Course) is great in reality. Didn't know how difficult to get a tee time & expensive is to play it nowadays.

I did play St. Andrews, the Old Course, for about 12 years ago (when I was young & handsome ; )) together with a couple of English friends and it was not so difficult to pay the fee (not so expensive as today) and simply book a time to play....it was sort of simple, you only need it to book in advance (some weeks at least) and show up with your Club membership and handicap under 18.

Although I admit, all had to be in place; the clothing "code", shiny shoes and inspection eyes over your play all the time...lol. 

Eric

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2015 7:42 AM

My last time playing the Old Course was a few years back.

The green fees were 175 pounds, I think that was about $275 (US) then.   Caddie fee was 30 pounds in addition to that.   It is a historical course and was in decent condition.  You do have to check in and pay down the road, walk back to the starters shed, submit your receipt and display your handicap card, which was to be under 18.   The group I was with was all players under 5 so no issue.    

You can't go into the clubhouse proper, which is just behind the first tee, that is members only.    If you have never played, then the history of the place is worth the fare, however after playing it a few times, I can think of a number courses within 25 miles that were better golf courses. 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:14 AM

TarheelsRule:

The group I was with was all players under 5 so no issue.    

Lol, 12 years ago I was handicap 2.

& indeed, several other courses close by much challenging and beautiful, however playing the Old course was "it". We did spend 3 days playing other courses over there.

Don't see you in the list this time Tarh, you not participating?

Eric

• craigswan
    30,991 Posts
    Thu, Jul 2 2015 12:48 PM

I play most night,s for free . Walk my dog there and sometimes carry a club and have a few free hits . And yes I do clean up his poo  after him .

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2015 6:17 AM

LOL...we have a tough competitor offering free Travel & meet the Star.

How to Enter

1. Take a video of your best golf shot. It can be any type of shot – a trick shot, a chip-in or a great putt.  Just remember to be safe, get creative and have fun!

2. Post the video to social media on Instagram, Vine, Twitter or Tumblr using the hashtag #MyBestShot.

OR

Upload the video to YouTube and email the link to mybestshot@theopen.com. Make sure your video is no more than 1 minute (60 seconds) in length.

3. Check back here before The Open to see if your video features on the website. The deadline for entries is 5 July, 2015.

Prizes

One grand prize winner and a guest will win a trip to the 144th Open at St Andrews in July, where they will meet Rory prior to the Champion Golfers’ Challenge and also watch him defend his title at the home of golf. There will be five runner-up prizes of the EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR game autographed by Rory.

Who can enter? 

The contest is open to everyone around the world. Terms and conditions apply.

Show us your best shot!

Here is the link 

http://www.theopen.com/SocialHub

I see now why no more people are participating in our humble "free sleeves" competition!!!

Lots Of Love...Eric

• cycle0
    38 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2015 8:17 AM

Winner:   Keegan Bradley   -2

54 hole leader:  Angel Cabrera    level par

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jul 4 2015 4:02 AM

Picks in the box :

• lol, Rose -11
    • Bufallo, Mc Ilroy -12
    • Mushy, Mickelson -12
    • Yankee, Spieth - 14
    • Pault, Stenson -9
    • Als, Spieth - 11
    • don, Ooosthizen 10
    • bubbs, D Johnson - 15
    • Corwyn, Poulter - 14
    • gdog, A. Scott -11
    • andys, Snedeker - 13
    • sweet, Woods - 9
    • onee, Fowler - 16
    • Nicole, Gallacher - 16
    • Stobs, Casey - 11
    • craig, Day - 11
    • Ron, B Watson - 9
    • twin, Reed - 14
    • vesta, Garcia - 13
    • adey, Grace - 14
    • onee, Watson - 14
    • 1enig, Donald - 12
    • razza, F Molinari - 12
    • cycle, Bradley - 2
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2015 5:11 AM

One less ; ))).......LOL

Nah, difficult to recover for The Open for Rory, hope he does it... who knows?, he's young...& pretty rich : )))

Eric

RSS