Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT June event: Pinehurst #2

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 8 2015 8:28 PM (147 replies)
  • JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2015 11:46 PM

Corwyn:
    Again, any donations of prizes will be gratefully accepted! Don't be shy... !

Hi,

I will give a sleeve to the prize of your choice ;)

Joe.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:58 AM

Corwyn:
    @ mmyers0: yes, it would have been nice to have this forum thread link in the leaderboard/tourney listing.

Careful what you wish for C.....

If only a 1/4 of them submit scorecards you'd be collating the data still, when Pebble Beach is released !  ;-))

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 1:13 AM

You're absolutely right, Andy!

I might have to see if those Italian gnomes are for hire, lol!

I do wonder though whether this tourney will make any sense to the thousands out there who might see it and never have come across these events in the forums. "Tough-It-Out... ??? What on earth is that!" I'd be very curious not only to find out the final participation number, but also the number of WDs.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 9:41 AM

I didn't post my score as i was able to play the round with a 225 hybrid, and ping wedges !!!.  There's some sort of glich with the club selectors, i selected a pre selected club set in my bag which I thought it was only starter clubs but hadn't realised until on 1st tee that i had 225 hybrid and ping 80 and 60 wedge too which were also in bag, i hadn't selected them but gone with one of the 4 options of pre-selected clubs i had allready set ages ago and fpresumed they were all starters.

Might be worth having a look and seeing if any more players were able to start round with not just starter equipment.   But meter is so fast you end up slicing anyway!!!

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:44 PM

chrisironsbones:
    Might be worth having a look and seeing if any more players were able to start round with not just starter equipment.

There has been issues with this in the past. Thought it was sorted out by now but seems it's still around.

On another note, great to finally see TIO where it belongs, on top of the tourney list :)

Great work from Corwyn over the years coming to this.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 7:37 PM

Thank you Mati!

Yes, sadly the issue with the restricted clubs is still around... and apparently, not likely to get fixed.

From what we were able to learn in volunteer tests done last month with Shoe prior to the Congo event, when the Restricted Club programming was first done (1.5 years ago IIRC), it was done in a seemingly bizarre way that opened up a loophole.

I find it extraordinary that it was programmed this way in the first place, and worse, that WGT don't appear willing to invest further time to make what should be minor modifications (that should have been spotted with some basic QA initially). When engineers put in time to create a feature, but then leave it incomplete and flawed, it negates all the effort put in the first place: with fixes, this could be an outstanding addition to the game, and open up possibilities for all kinds of events beyond just starter-gear competitions.

With regard to the TIO tourneys, players here are putting in a lot of time and effort, and generous sponsorships, to support these fun events, and I for one, don't want to spend energy policing whether or not entries are legitimate.

I hope no-one is tempted to exploit the problems in the programming. We didn't want to draw attention to them, but Chris' post and the fact that the event is in the Game Client now, means I need to be a bit more transparent.

I fear that having the event in the game client list may actually undermine the event in the long run... we'll see how this tourney turns out.

@Chris: I don't believe WGT have a way of looking retrospectively to see what equipment was used for a round. It would be very useful if they did!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To repeat this message from the opening post:

Please do remember to take care equipping your bag properly ahead of play (i.e. before clicking on the link to enter):

This tournament is only to be played with the full Starter Club set:

Starter Driver,

Starter 3W,

Starter 3H,

Starter Sand Wedge,

Starter Lob Wedge,

Starter Iron Set,

Starter Putter,

and Starter Ball.

P.S: Just in case it isn't obvious to everyone: FocusBoost has no place in a Tough-It-Out event.

The whole point of these tournaments is that we are all experiencing the same conditions, with the same clubs, balls... & the same challenging meter speed.

I hope and trust that no-one will try and use anything other than the prescribed clubs or use FocusBoost in these events. Sponsors will reserve the right to withhold prizes if they have concerns. Thank you!

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 8:12 PM

Same as Chris... Somehow my wedges didnt switch and I am at the edge of 1st green with a Cleveland wedge(Maybe don't play after just waking up! -_-). I tried to play with iron sets but couple of holes with no clubs <90 didn't really work out and WD..

• Zayante
    45 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2015 8:20 PM

Went into the back 9 feeling pretty good, but could not stay on the greens there and really struggled. As much of a challenge as the round was getting the scorecard copied and posted was much harder!

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2015 2:47 AM

Corwyn:
    With regard to the TIO tourneys, players here are putting in a lot of time and effort, and generous sponsorships, to support these fun events, and I for one, don't want to spend energy policing whether or not entries are legitimate.

Although these tough it out touraments let you play wgt how it was MEANT to be played, making the courses TOUGH & REALISTIC, making par an achievement, I'm sure WGT don't really want us to be playing more of these becaue Its stopping them making revenue, and probably why a loophole is not closed sooner...   Imagine if we all stopped buying balls and clubs and every one started playing with starter clubs and balls, WGT's boardroom would be a "tough it out tournament" in trying to find other ways of making $$  LOL

• Lypra
    459 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2015 3:48 AM

RSS