Forums

Help › Forums

The little X to a Legend Challenge

Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:44 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 11:52 AM

So some of you probably know the challenge to one of our top tier members from a member who for some reason still argues that playing with upgraded clubs is cheating and the people using them lack skill.

So the challenge is playing bethpage with free clubs, but not the worse free clubs, the upgraded better clubs (which are allowed under X's rules as not cheating the game, the game  that needs us to buy the clubs and balls so they have enough income to run the game, thus allowing players like X to play for free).  Anyone is free to try it.

What I found and I think what turns many beginners off the game is at that point with those clubs the game is more luck than skill, and the shots you hit are not relatable to how many of us play in real life (i.e. 137yd rated 7iron with no trajectory).  But this is the game we all are introduced to and we have the choice of taking it to whatever level we want. 

I played 3 holes Sat night with the starters before trying this.  Here is my card that included 4 birdies and 2 bogeys on the front, and I can honestly say the birdies were due to my putting and not accurate approach shots, which often defy the wind and aim.  No birdie was made from less then 10ft.

Here is my card and some stats to show driving distance and approach stats.

[View:http://wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:450:0]

My conclusion, playing with starters stinks, people should take the plunge and obtain better equipment, which no doubt will allow you to improve your scores, but will also improve the fun of the game.  Your skills will shine through with competitive play against other members, hitting shots more like how you yourself can do in real life, and taking the luck out of the game instead of relying on the luck of the VEM with starters.  You will play better, but ultimately as you can tell from the leaderboards every week, skill is what takes you from one level to the next.

If you want to stay with the free game, congrats to you, just keep in mind others you play against are active in the game and will spend the money to upgrade, or will just flat out earn the credits needed to upgrade.  In either scenario, we are not cheaters for upgrading, and if thats your view please know it makes absolutely no logical sense.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:04 PM

Impossible, neil! That can't be. You're sandbagging. I demand to see proof. You were lucky. You shoulda shot 30. You photoshopped it. Are you a man?

LOL, sorry bud, couldn't resist. Nice round with the freebies.  :-)

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:10 PM

Take the 2 avoiable bogeys out and I would be thrilled with that round.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:32 PM

I think the round and the comments prove what most of us already know.

We can get by with beginner clubs, it isn't as much fun and frustrating from the tees that we are on but we can still play.  I have played a few rounds with them as well with similar results.  It always comes down to putting be it in this game or real golf.

I am not a good putter on WGT, if I was my average would go from 65 to 61 or less pretty quickly.  I can tell by playing Blitz that I can compete with any of the other Legends tee to green, just lose ground on the greens.

I do get a little sick of the whinners who complain about buying a game.  This is a free game, you don't have to spend a penny.  I think that I have a total investment of less than $40.  I have an R9 driver and G10 clubs with a good putter.  I only upgraded once, I could get clubs a little better but I just haven't done it.  My driver goes 275, I would invest in a new driver if WGT gives us a Legends driver that adds about 25 yards, about half of the new length.

I have an investment in WGT of about the cost of a movie and snacks for 2 and hours of enjoyment, that is a pretty good tradeoff.  I think I have $75 in earnings and I am unable to play ready goes, match play challenges, etc. so mine is all from CTTH and stroke play.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:49 PM

TarheelsRule:

I think the round and the comments prove what most of us already know.

We can get by with beginner clubs, it isn't as much fun and frustrating from the tees that we are on but we can still play.  I have played a few rounds with them as well with similar results.  It always comes down to putting be it in this game or real golf.

I am not a good putter on WGT, if I was my average would go from 65 to 61 or less pretty quickly.  I can tell by playing Blitz that I can compete with any of the other Legends tee to green, just lose ground on the greens.

I do get a little sick of the whinners who complain about buying a game.  This is a free game, you don't have to spend a penny.  I think that I have a total investment of less than $40.  I have an R9 driver and G10 clubs with a good putter.  I only upgraded once, I could get clubs a little better but I just haven't done it.  My driver goes 275, I would invest in a new driver if WGT gives us a Legends driver that adds about 25 yards, about half of the new length.

I have an investment in WGT of about the cost of a movie and snacks for 2 and hours of enjoyment, that is a pretty good tradeoff.  I think I have $75 in earnings and I am unable to play ready goes, match play challenges, etc. so mine is all from CTTH and stroke play.

The one who whine about buying better score don't seem to understand that just because you buy the best equipment doesn't mean that you will shoot Wildly unrealistic low scores. If it did all of us who own the Super-Tri and i15 irons and the master Redwood putter would be shooting mid 50's. It takes skill to use the clubs to shoot low and some of us just don't have that kind of skill.

I have about $80 put into the game ans that money was originally earmarked for a new driver.but I play so little on a full size course that buying a new driver when my Cobra M-Speed is only 2 years old seemed like a waste so I chose to spend some of it here.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:56 PM

Nice round Neil but afraid your argument about skill will never register with some. 

Been reading some wall posts the person has been leaving on your guys' wall.  Not only is there an aversion to common sense but seems to be a big roadblock with the truth as well.  Never once did I disconnect and try to dodge the game.  Said person disconnected on me 4 times since I insisted on playing for money.

Here's some of the pre match conversation for the record.  I told it straight away that I was taking screen shots of our conversation.  Didn't get it all because the hits were flying fast and furious (pardon the furious pun but couldn't help it with all it's ALL CAPS posts)

Notice above this was about a challenge to "beat" her.  hmmmm

Just wanted to provide a little insight what you guys are dealing with.  In other words bail out now.  You can't win an argument with someone incapable of listening or processing rational thought.

Personally I can tolerate people who argue about anything and everything.  I don't even mind being called an A-hole and being yelled at.  What I can not, and never will tolerate is an outright liar!

***edit.  Apologies for calling the person a liar about the disconnects.  There is a possibility that the computer timed us out while we talked.  Never once did I hit disconnect but she may not have either.  Some of the disconnects seemed to come faster than the others though, so I'm not quite sure if it was the computer or her.  All I did was send another invite after each disconnect.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:25 PM

You know the really disturbing part, besides the complete utter lack of logic, golf knowledge, playing upgraded clubs not the original freebies, look at the score history.  I feel like I am looking at like a serial killer.  How many times played Kiawah stroke play?  None.  How many playing Oakmont?  None.  It only plays Bethpage front 9 with the occasional STA front 9.  No back 9's ever recorded.  For a creature of habit seems like there is a complete lack of skill not to improve on the 9 it plays almost exclusively.

Despite the 2 bogeys, I was just satisfied posting about a round 3.6 shots better than its last 10 hole average.  I am still waiting if I passed the skill test without my "crutches".  I suppose this person walks to work (if they work at all), cars, bike or trains would be "cheating"

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:29 PM

It is a lost cause trying to communicate with x / many numbers.    I have been in this debate before and also posted scores with starter clubs, first from her? tees then the mediums.   I make sure I do not interact with this person, as they are unreasonable and childish.  Here is another thread that eventually WGTicon put an end too because of this x w/ many numbers.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/28503.aspx?PageIndex=4

Cheers,

b0gey

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:43 PM

LMAO.......... that was one of the funniest threads of all time.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:52 PM

That was funny.  Even when people are shooting what she says they with her upgraded free clubs, she will just pick apart something else and pay no attention to your card.

• PAGES
RSS