Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Mon, May 29 2017 4:17 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ladychipper
    22,692 Posts
    Sat, May 23 2015 12:06 PM

I just wanted to wish all my friends in the USA a Happy Memorial Day weekend! 

Memorial Day in United States

Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May. It was formerly known as Decoration Day and commemorates all men and women, who have died in military service for the United States. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day and it is traditionally seen as the start of the summer season.

God Bless!

Marion XO

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Sat, May 23 2015 1:14 PM

Salute and many many thank yous to all our Veterans & active service men & women!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2015 4:15 AM

Happy Memorial Day?! How crass and insensitive can people be?

Lest we forget.

Many thousands of people gave their lives so we can have glittery Hallmark cards and are able to turn slaughter into a celebration.

• Ladychipper
    22,692 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2015 12:23 PM

Paul,

That's the whole idea behind Memorial Day!  We are honoring the thousands who gave their lives!  Didn't you read the explanation behind Memorial Day I put in here??

We also have a Veteran's Day in the USA honoring the living service men and women.

I don't see anything insensitive about this at all.  We want to remember the Veterans who have passed on and have not been forgotten. 

If you knew me better, you would know that I am not an insensitve person at all.

Blessings,

Marion

PS:  Should we have a Sad Memorial Day instead?  I think not!

• Ladychipper
    22,692 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2015 12:34 PM

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, May 24 2015 1:22 PM

1enigma1:

Salute and many many thank yous to all our Veterans & active service men & women!

+1

Nothing more sobering than seeing all the unmarked crosses in Normandy, France.

Here we commemorate our soldiers in ANZAC services, and unlike many public holidays, many see this as not just a day off work, but a day to remember the sacrifices that have allowed us freedom.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 2:18 AM

Ladychipper:

We want to remember the Veterans who have passed on and have not been forgotten. 

If you knew me better, you would know that I am not an insensitve person at all.

I'm all for honouring those who have died while in the armed forces.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was personally attacking you, it's the way I word things. I don't think you are insensitive at all. No offence meant.

It's probably just that culturally our countries handle these events very differently. I don't see it as the type of occasion for hi5 greetings and tailgate parties, more a time for quiet reflection.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 5:01 AM

memorial day

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 5:32 AM

1enigma1:

+2

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 7:34 AM

It is a sacred day of honor to all of those who over the past 239 years of youthful America provided freely the courage and bravery required, in full measure, to protect and insure life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and domestic tranquillity to an on-going free nation. Freedom is not free. I salute them all with love and grateful respect. ~ SP ~

• PAGES
RSS