Help › Forums

Rsi irons??

Wed, Jun 3 2015 2:36 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2015 10:25 PM

Hey 11BC2,

Congrats on moving up so quickly.  I can remember not too long ago you were trying to keep your clubs at all the same meter speed, and complaining when you found out it didn't work out quite right.  And passing on the lv 59 Pings because of the meter speed. 

Good luck and here's to hoping you might be the FMagnest.    I happen to suffer fro what one young person call "having the reactions of a hibernating bear."   I have my good days and bad days.  It does come with age.  Enjoy yours while you have them.  

All my best to you,

phred952

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2015 10:44 PM

From tees irons are going to be longer.  I map my shots in practice on back 9 beth. And see in different greens if my yards are good. These irons seem ro 4 long on tees so far

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2015 11:31 PM

Thanks Phred, although tbh, I have no idea what a FMagnest is?? ;)  And I stick by my choice for those level 64, lol!  If nothing else they made my hole/club mapping extremely important and the precision really helps when you have to thread the needle.

I mapped my clubs on Kiawa(sp?) 1st hole at 0-2 mph exact side wind with 1 elevation drop. 
    So pretty much flat.  I've noticed shorter clubs off the Tee do have around 4-6 yards difference from the fairway but the longer clubs differ quite a bit.

I.e., my 3i off the Tee with 50% and 100% B/S are 226 and 224 air to green (no roll).  From Fairway to green that some club is 210 at 50% and 212 at 100% B/s/  I'd love to use a better ball but when I play it's a lot (even in practice) plus........

Who has the money to spend over $100 on mapping clubs.  0 spin, 50% and 100% B/s + 50% forward spin with Power at 100%, 98, 96, 94, 92.  Don't forget Mulligans!  So it takes roughly 1 entire ball to map out my 9i at 100% power.  Another ball for 98%, another for 96%, etc, etc. 

And if I were to buy new balls I'd have to re-map all my Wedges too, which I go all the way down to 80% power (in 2% increments) to include pitches, flops, and punches (w/ more increments of B/s and top).  It would take more time to map out the wedges alone than the whole set of my RSi's did.

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 4:17 PM

11BC2:

Thanks Phred, although tbh, I have no idea what a FMagnest is?? ;)  And I stick by my choice for those level 64, lol!  If nothing else they made my hole/club mapping extremely important and the precision really helps when you have to thread the needle.

I mapped my clubs on Kiawa(sp?) 1st hole at 0-2 mph exact side wind with 1 elevation drop. 
    So pretty much flat.  I've noticed shorter clubs off the Tee do have around 4-6 yards difference from the fairway but the longer clubs differ quite a bit.

I.e., my 3i off the Tee with 50% and 100% B/S are 226 and 224 air to green (no roll).  From Fairway to green that some club is 210 at 50% and 212 at 100% B/s/  I'd love to use a better ball but when I play it's a lot (even in practice) plus........

Who has the money to spend over $100 on mapping clubs.  0 spin, 50% and 100% B/s + 50% forward spin with Power at 100%, 98, 96, 94, 92.  Don't forget Mulligans!  So it takes roughly 1 entire ball to map out my 9i at 100% power.  Another ball for 98%, another for 96%, etc, etc. 

And if I were to buy new balls I'd have to re-map all my Wedges too, which I go all the way down to 80% power (in 2% increments) to include pitches, flops, and punches (w/ more increments of B/s and top).  It would take more time to map out the wedges alone than the whole set of my RSi's did.

fmagnets is a top player on WGT.

I don't see the need to map the clubs at all those power numbers. Between 90% and 100%, the meter is pretty linear so if you know how far they go at 100%, you can calculate any other distance. From 80% to 90% is a bit trickier, but if you add a little bit it works pretty well. I use an Excel calculator I adapted from one I found and info on the forums to adjust for wind and elevation and then I make some small adjustments from there.

When I hit L90 and get the RSIs, I'll spend a little more time mapping. As it is, I only mapped these clubs (L79 Rocketbladez) at FBS and neutral. I may use yardages more when I get the new clubs, but with these I'm still on percentages. Through playing, I've discovered what amount of spin will go what percentage further. All in all, it took me around 2 balls to map my clubs as I went off my G25 mapping to help me and went with a few dings (or close enough). I made some more slight adjustments while playing. I think you could do a pretty in-depth mapping of a combo for at most 2 sleeves. 

As to balls, I'd recommend at least the L33 Callys. They are probably the best value ball and provide a lot more than a WGT ball. You'll find yourself at a fair disadvantage using them, especially from the L tees. I went with the L48 Nikes myself to get more distance. Given the new 3.0 meter speed on the RSIs, I'll probably stick with that as my main ball.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 4:21 PM

FMagnets is one of the best players on this site, and one of the usual tournament leaders.  He's leading the Congressional Open right now.  Check out his profile sometime.

I understand your feelings about the lvl 64 irons you chose.  i just felt that for ME, the lvl 59 Pings with a higher trajectory worked better.  It made my landings much softer most of the time, which hekped with AD2P..  

I also use Kiawah #1 for mapping.  I don't suggest remapping everything.  If you play a practice round, you can get some feel for any ball without using up too much ball life .And you might find some of the other WGT balls give a little bit better performance, without much more cost.  

I use the WGT G13-S for my practice ball.  But I do enter some tournaments with it.  I also use the Callaway L37 Vapor ball, when I'm a little more serious about a tournament.  At 275 cr it's not too expensive.   And for those days when I just need to slow it down a little more, i use the Nike 20 Xi-X level 74 distance ball.  They get a little bit pricey at 450 cr but I sometimes need that .5 slower meter. 

Again, bottom line is use what works best for you at any time, but be willing to experiment if needed.

GL

Phred952

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 5:23 PM

Thanks again Phred.

At siggi, I've never been able to get the mapping to work in a linear way for me.  There's a big difference in yardage from say 100% to 94%, etc.  100% might be 150 and 98% 147 and when you divide 147 into 150, voila,you do get 98%.  Then you jump with that same club to 96% and 94% and you might get 142 and 135 which do not correspond in a linear manner. 

Anyways, thanks for the help guys.  O, P.S. to Siggi, my RSi 3i and 4i changed behavior again so I had to remap them lol...but now they seem to be very accurate (yay!).

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2015 2:36 AM

Okay........ I'm having hell trying to use these irons.  I've posted some decent scores with them but I've also been all over the place. 

The issue lies in consistency, or lack of.  I've THOROUGHLY mapped out the clubs (seriously, lol!) but the yardage, hole to hole is literally everywhere.  Now, at first I thought it might be my cheap .43 cent WGT balls but that's not the case.

Several days ago I accidently bought some Nike RZN black balls and so I tested the clubs with them and came across the same issue.  So what's actually happening?  I.e., I have my 3i mapped out with full b/s off the Tee air to landing at 224 yards. 

The problem comes when I'm on the fairway to green.  Sometimes I get the same exact yardage from the fairway to green as tee to green.  Other times I get 213-215 yards air to landing.  And I even, every once in a while get yardage inbetween Tee and Fairway yardages.

This happens with all the clubs and it makes approach shots a total crap shoot.  Ideas or thoughts?  This is really frustrating.

EDIT:  I completely removed and re-equipped starter clubs, played one random hole to completion and then re-equipped my RSI-Irons.  To my delight the clubs "appear" to be back to normal.  Fingers crossed.

• PAGES
RSS