Help › Forums

Buying new clubs

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 20 2016 6:17 PM (31 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 12:07 PM

11BC2:
    Does the Med trajectory of the Nikes make them OK? 

You will eventually need High lofted clubs so don't get carried away looking at anything less than that. The problem is you don't get decent High lofted clubs until you get to level 45. You'll be OK with Med/High clubs until you get to Legend but there's a better way to go about what you're doing.

Courteney touched on it-wedges. Those are the clubs that are going to save you strokes more than any of the others you have. They are so important that it's worth dropping the Hybrid and carrying 3 of them. ( I carried 4 with no 3W until I made Legend.) It would be prudent to spend your credits in that area and be patient until you can get the High irons. 

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 7:09 PM

Just gotta wonder if there was a 11BC1 ? Stats seem a tad skewed, but, I may just be jealous, lol. ( 93.55 driving accuracy with rocks, and started this month ?)

Doc :)

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:06 PM

drmoose:

Just gotta wonder if there was a 11BC1 ? Stats seem a tad skewed, but, I may just be jealous, lol. ( 93.55 driving accuracy with rocks, and started this month ?)

Doc :)

Nope!  Just this one and only Infantryman.  Rocks eh?  You realize that 1.5 dot of precision is the most accurate club (besides my putter) in my bag!   Hitting perfect Ding or 2/3 mm off with my current Irons makes me CRINGE (never straight or where I aim).

So I suppose I'll stick to some of the advice above and go for some Wedges as my next purchase.  However, I am sticking firm to all my clubs Driver - Wedges possess an identical Meter Rating (3.5).

Pings Meter Ratings are ALL OVER the place.  The i25 and G25 are 4 and 4.5 (too slow).  G25 (83) are 3.5 while the i25 (69) are 2.5 (Low rating and too fast!)!  Imo there's just no consistency and it makes the clubs unappealing to me.  The only possible detour from 3.5 Meter Raings would be for me Wedges (maybe!).

Seriously, how are you supposed to get quality muscle memory if every single club you own has a different Meter Rating??!  So what are peoples opinions in regards to the Lvl 50 series Max Spin?  These are my maybe wedges at a lower Meter Rating of 3.0.  Otherwise I'm stuck with Clevlands (27) until like 70+ (next 3.5 Meter upgraded Wedge).

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 3:30 AM

Don't know Doc.  Might be some gamer with lightening fast reflexes.  Me,on the other hand,  I fall into the opposite category, as someone once posted in comments about meter speed:  "REFLEXES OF A HIBERNATING BEAR". LOL.   Happens as we age.  You just learn to adapt.

Phred952

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:02 AM

Bump!  Need suggestions and help between Clevland (27s) and Max Spin wedges (50s).  I'm leaning towards the Lower Meter Rating and high spin of the Max series but still would like a little feed back with those who have used either.

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:54 PM

Again, lower meter rating is not a good thing. Higher rating = slower speed.

I went with the far cheaper Pings when I was around that level. They're not as good but cost 1/3 of the price.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 1:14 PM

mmyers0:

Again, lower meter rating is not a good thing. Higher rating = slower speed.

I went with the far cheaper Pings when I was around that level. They're not as good but cost 1/3 of the price.

Guys, I have perfect understanding of Meter Rating and how it affects the in-game bar speed.  Not once have I ever written anything that should lead anyone to believe otherwise ^^.  "Meter Speed" is a numeric rated system 1 - 5 with 1 being the Lowest and 5 being the Highest.

1 provides the fastest swing speed while 5 provides the slowest.  It's a matter of opinion which Meter Rating is best.  Personally, I want to be able to replicate a similar swing via muscle memory on every shot and the best way to do this is by using equipment that has an Identical Meter Speed.

The TaylorMade (48) I'll be getting is 3.5.  The woods I'll be getting in the future are also rated at 3.5.  The Nikes I plan to get (52 or 64) are also 3.5 (as are the 85 and 100 lvls).  I'm looking at the Clevland brand of Wedges because both level 27 series and 70+ series are at a 3.5 Meter Rating.

My biggest question right now revolves around the Max Spin wedges (50+) vs the 27 Clevlands.  Do I want to mess up my Universal Meter Rating for the Max wedges?  Earlier I was thinking a definite Yes but now I'm leaning towards a no.  I feel it's more important to keep a Universal speed.........

However, I'd still like some feedback from people who have used the Lvl 27 Clevland and Lvl 50 Max Spin wedges.  Thanks again for all the help.  And if nothing else, this gives me time to earn more free credits which I've found to be painless and quick.  Honestly, how difficult is it to dedicate 15 minutes a day watching videos for 250-300 Credits a session.

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 9:40 PM

Max spin might be a pain to control.. If u dont ding consistently Cleves might be the way to go.. The ATV 50yd is also a good choice.. Would help with shortish distance sand shots where u need to choke it..

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 9:43 AM

The focus of CF& YJ on the "wedge world" is most important. While the meter is best when in concert with woods & irons, I don't think it needs to be with wedges. They have more personality for varied applications. I have all of the high level Cleves' and Max wedges and use them all depending where I'm playing. Nevertheless, until one levels up to be able to purchase the top level wedges, I don't think it matters too much what you use because you will upgrade as you go along getting something else. ~ SP ~ 

• JMalec
    123 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 10:08 AM

Interesting thread. From my experience, you are following much of my path with club choices. Personally, I am a Taylor Made bigot as I play them on real courses and match my real bag where possible. And you've picked up that everyone's mileage varies by "taste". Lastly, I don't care for the amount of spin on the Cleveland's, preferring the Taylor.

With that said, I'd counsel starting from the hole out by

1. find a putter you are comfortable with
    2. Wedges, wedges, wedges. Short putts are easier. The consensus is correct.
    3. Driver to shorten your approach shots.
    4. 3w for the same reason
    5. Lastly irons.
    6. Finally, use free rental weekend to experiment. They happen a  few times a year and are valuable to demo equipment.

As I've climbed the tiers and played club tourneys, I find myself playing more holes driver wedge putt than anything else. Thus I counsel toward those clubs. During the recent demo weekend (free rental), I experimented with different iron sets for the knowledge. For my game, anyway, the iron set had the least impact. But everyone's mileage will vary as well as based on their playing style. Clubs tourney's vs. Ready Go's vs. WGT tourney will have an impact on the equation.

You done a lot of analysis and seem to have the concepts down. I hope I've added a grain of knowledge from my experience for you (and anyone else reading). Play well, enjoy the learning process and keep trying to improve every time out!

JM

RSS