Platinums or Blacks?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 2 2015 9:46 PM (29 replies)
  • oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 2:04 AM

recommend the level 48's, 400 credits

I can do this ...

My local course here in Thailand Santiburi Chiang Rai, the second hole is water for 200 yards before  the fairway. I have hit a 4 iron there that skims the water and ends up on the fairway.

It's all about the spin u put on it.

• ForeverHackin
    2,310 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 6:29 AM

fatdan:

hpurey:

went with the L81's.  I remember liking the L71's back when they were the top ones out, but 81's have slightly slower meter.

Good choice, have fun and use less back spin LOL

L81's used to be my top choice ever since the first came out...I switched to them from the L71's. But when the L90's came out (Black) I went nuts with them figuring "Biggest, Longest, Badest...etc" However, after getting the new Nike Irons (VR Forged Level 97+) I switched to a different ball for a few reasons. 

With the slower meter from the irons, I no longer needed the most expensive ball out there. (Nike Black) And with the increased spin I get from the Irons, I no longer needed to focus on a ball that offered the best spin control. I settled on the Nike L61's and found that they make a great combination with my Irons. I get comperable distance and spin for a much better price per sleeve. 

Just goes to show, there are many personal factors to consider when choosing the right ball to hit. 

(disclaimer: I do keep a couple of sleeves of Platinum Nikes in my bag for those "important" games...lol)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 7:30 AM

Don't know why the reply option wasn't there for Foreverhackin's post lol.

Was mainly thinking try a ball I haven't tried yet if I'm just going to do it for the weekend to blow off steam.  

Went with the L81's even though I've played them before, just in case I like them enough to play em for a few more days.  Getting lazy in my playing,  looking for the ball with decent extra distance (mainly for cutting through headwinds)  and something that stops well without adding any backspin; knowing that the wind has more effect when adding more bs. 

Just wish they were yellow LOL>

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 11:26 AM

At the risk of losing my Nike Sponsorship ( I wear Nike shoes and pants and shirt and use Nike Irons).  My ball of choice is still the Callaway Level 45 Legend ball at 300 credits a sleeve.  I can control the level of spin and get great distance and the meter speed is very manageable. Very affordable . And since my Nike Sponsorship does not include free balls..... what they don't know won't hurt them.. ...lol

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 12:06 PM

SeabrookFlash:

At the risk of losing my Nike Sponsorship ( I wear Nike shoes and pants and shirt and use Nike Irons).  My ball of choice is still the Callaway Level 45 Legend ball at 300 credits a sleeve.  I can control the level of spin and get great distance and the meter speed is very manageable. Very affordable . And since my Nike Sponsorship does not include free balls..... what they don't know won't hurt them.. ...lol

I see from your photo you've replaced your 3-wood with a Grant Wood...I'm guessing because the Grant Wood is so much better when dealing with thick brush.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 12:17 PM

Indeed,  I had to wrestle it from the missus. She used it as a reminder that there ARE other things than WGT.. I can't think of what they are. 

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 12:47 PM

SeabrookFlash:

Indeed,  I had to wrestle it from the missus. She used it as a reminder that there ARE other things than WGT.. I can't think of what they are. 

I've heard the elders speak of these things...life, marriage, career, culture...I've always written it off as the ramblings of the unaware.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 8:01 PM

SeabrookFlash:

When I handle the meter ! I go to the lvl 45 cally too!!!

It is a pleasure to see how slight ding missed shots stay ! 

Normally play nike balls , with this ball you need to be 100% focused ! 

as it is faster !

spin difference is minimum. ! 

People should not be wasting money on balls like the nike plat/black.

Unless they can't play /compete without them.

I am laughing at Wgt as so many are using cheaper balls as they work better with the lvl 100 irons.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Mar 28 2015 10:57 PM

siggipj76:

SeabrookFlash:

When I handle the meter ! I go to the lvl 45 cally too!!!

It is a pleasure to see how slight ding missed shots stay ! 

Normally play nike balls , with this ball you need to be 100% focused ! 

as it is faster !

spin difference is minimum. ! 

People should not be wasting money on balls like the nike plat/black.

Unless they can't play /compete without them.

I am laughing at Wgt as so many are using cheaper balls as they work better with the lvl 100 irons.

But Lily sure loves the Platinums too.

Key is to know how they work at full , 1/2 spin, half , 3/4 , and full.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2015 11:15 AM

I loved the blacks, but at 700 credits a sleeve they just got too expensive. The level 34 Cally slow meter ball gives me good distance,spin, and durability and a slower meter that this old man is needing more and more. And at 450 credits they are much easier on the wallet. 

RSS