Help › Forums

Smooth Meter

Fri, Mar 6 2015 2:08 PM (36 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,106 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 7:48 AM

YankeeJim:
    It's gotta be Scott. He knows stuff and how to do things. :-D

Oh yeah, of course. I'm bonkers yet I can make peoples posts disappear, lol.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 8:24 AM

LMAO. One of those special qualities. Kinda like Dustin Hoffman knowing how many toothpicks fell on the floor.  ;-)

• AndreasHelke
    675 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 8:46 AM

WGT is responsible for a lot. But a jerky meter is not really among it. There mostly Microsoft is responsible by not including sufficient real time capabilities into its operating system. Check out the Android WGT app to see how smooth the meter is when the operating system refrains from interfering with a smooth meter operation.

Maybe the WGT programmers could do a better job at creating a meter that works reliably in the hostile evironment provided by a Windows Computer. But they might have to resort to low level programming in C or assembler instead of using library functions of their development environment.

You can smooth the meter some by creating a new Windows account that is only used for playing WGT and therefore does not automatically starts a lot of crap when you log in.

• TheDuckinator
    1,691 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:02 AM

AndreasHelke:

WGT is responsible for a lot. But a jerky meter is not really among it. There mostly Microsoft is responsible by not including sufficient real time capabilities into its operating system. Check out the Android WGT app to see how smooth the meter is when the operating system refrains from interfering with a smooth meter operation.

Maybe the WGT programmers could do a better job at creating a meter that works reliably in the hostile evironment provided by a Windows Computer. But they might have to resort to low level programming in C or assembler instead of using library functions of their development environment.

You can smooth the meter some by creating a new Windows account that is only used for playing WGT and therefore does not automatically starts a lot of crap when you log in.

I can't disagree more... If WGT was not the cause of this meter issue, how do you explain the boat load of players that have the worst meter problems they have ever had, all at the same time and just after an update? I'm sorry, but you are very wrong...

Duck

• garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:03 AM

AndreasHelke:

Then explain why people on Macs complain about it too.  OH Right, microsoft is doing it.

• garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:05 AM

YankeeJim:

ScottHope:
    I have a theory, probably bonkers,

You're right. Bonkers.  LOL

This is how I get it now.  Maybe earlier something going on with the forum(imagine that).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:15 AM

AndreasHelke:
    WGT is responsible for a lot. But a jerky meter is not really among it

This time it was and WGT acknowledged it. They also fixed whatever was causing it. This wasn't the typical crappy meter incident, this affected a huge number of players that normally don't have issues.

Also, you can't compare the Android OS to this-it's a completely different animal. 

• AndreasHelke
    675 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:33 AM

OS X is based on BSD Unix. This too is a operating system that is not exactly known for its real time capabilities. 

I know that an Android app is a very different animal than a Flash app running on Windows or OS X. But the app shows that the WGT programmers are able to provide a very smooth meter if the computer the game is running on easily supports it.

And it shows that server or network have no influence on the running or smoothness of the meter. The meter just tells the server how much power you used and how much you missed the right time to click.

Maybe they could do a better job at providing a smooth meter in Flash too. But I don´t know enough about Flash programming to judge that.

I had no particularly bad meter in the last few days. I had just a few instances of a jerky meter. And logging out and logging in again fixed it as usual for my setup.

Yankee Jim, What did WGT aknowledge exactly and where do I find it?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 9:43 AM

AndreasHelke:
    I had no particularly bad meter in the last few days. I had just a few instances of a jerky meter. And logging out and logging in again fixed it as usual for my setup.

Mate it's not even a discussion.

WGT admitted the mistake, and have now fixed that issue.  

This is nothing to do with the usual stuff:)...See forum pages on it >>>>>>>>>>

AndreasHelke:
    Maybe they could do a better job at providing a smooth meter in Flash too. But I don´t know enough about Flash programming to judge that.

Proof was in the eating :)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2015 10:12 AM

AndreasHelke:

The pc I play on is WGT specific, I do nothing else on it, runs XP OS, with everything else shut down in msconfig and task manager except AV, winpatrol, adblock, and ZA firewall...I even shut the AV and firewall down when I play at times, they are only on when I do surveys....I get an occasional jump on the meter, until yesterday...it was unplayable after the update so that doesn't work either...

What I have noticed is while my meter didn't jump, after a few swings it would race in the hitting zone at different speeds...IMO WGT does that to mess with the auto dings...today it is not only smooth but it doesn't race like it did, which makes me think they shut it down(whatever IT is)

I posted somewhere that my game page was noticeably bigger yesterday when it came up, as I use the arrows to make it full screen because full screen is a bit choppy...so I changed the graphics setting from high to medium and the game page was back to normal size, and I have never seen that anywhere before...the meter was obviously bigger too, so whatever happened was on their end and it didn't matter what you were playing on.

My only gripe here was the racing meter because I pay for slower meter balls, and I expect them to be what I pay for and consistent...now that I have seen that it can be consistent if WGT leaves it alone...I will expect it from now on or I will be starting some of those "whining threads"....

RSS