Help › Forums

Balls

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:52 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • LuckyEns
    1 Posts
    Thu, Dec 4 2014 11:39 AM

Why take balls out of play at all. if I paid for it I should be able, to use it till I lose it.. just away for them to make a buck..

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Dec 4 2014 12:13 PM

Amazes me how often the same ball issue comes up:

IMO:

1. Hits left over balls in inventory - well probably should be done eventually, but low priority;

2. Different balls in practice mode - again a nice to have, but personally I find ever using more than one ball when it matters confusing, and so not high up on any list;

3. Deferring to next best ball in RR/Tourney - WGT use the ball rule to the letter, save letting extreme poor player management still get away with the rock to finish a round.  

Which bit of 3 is hard to understand or accept as plenty good enough?  The only change needed there, if needed at all, is to do away with the extra allowance and just say out of balls go home, no finish for you.  

• didanz
    102 Posts
    Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:49 PM

Totally agree.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 12:01 PM

LuckyEns:

Why take balls out of play at all. if I paid for it I should be able, to use it till I lose it.. just away for them to make a buck..

Because WGT is set up for tournament/professional golf play, not the game as it is played by casual, weekend players.

The professional set up scenario includes us all having a stroke average instead of a handicap.

Golf balls lose compression as they are hit and as they age. 

Most advanced amateur and pro players don't use old, worn out golf balls.

Back in the day I opened a sleeve of new balls on the first hole. Each of the 3 balls got played for just 6 holes on an alternating basis (if I didn't lose/damage 1). The ball I used on the first hole got played again on the 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th and 16th holes.

I don't know about balls today, but back when I played serious golf I checked balls to make sure they were round using a ball ring. I checked the 3 when I opened a sleeve on the first hole, and I re-checked them again to make sure they were still round before I started an new hole with them.

Balls I still had at the end of a round got dated and went into my practice ball bag.  About once a month I went through my practice balls and tossed out the oldest ones.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:36 AM

LuckyEns:

Sorry to say, this is a slightly erroneous approach.

We don't pay for balls (ownership) but for licences to use them. These are licences limited to a certain number of shots. When the licence expires, by shot count or via a shot to a BLTA, the next limited ball licence starts.

And yes, they make the buck this way. I like it because it gives every player the opportunity to decide about his/her "entry fee" to this game.

BLTA: Ball Licence Termination Area, like OOB, gorse, water...

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:52 AM

alosso:

LuckyEns:

Sorry to say, this is a slightly erroneous approach.

We don't pay for balls (ownership) but for licences to use them. These are licences limited to a certain number of shots. When the licence expires, by shot count or via a shot to a BLTA, the next limited ball licence starts.

And yes, they make the buck this way. I like it because it gives every player the opportunity to decide about his/her "entry fee" to this game.

BLTA: Ball Licence Termination Area, like OOB, gorse, water...

We pay for this game ! 

• PAGES
RSS