Help › Forums

Balls

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 9 2014 12:52 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • miked7024
    39 Posts
    Sun, Nov 23 2014 1:01 PM

Would it not be better to take balls out of play when players have completed playing out the hole. makes sense to me to replace a worn ball when not in play.

Mike

• Teejay39
    2 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 8:52 AM

I like that idea but I also would like it if you could exhaust ALL of the balls in your bag before having to use the "generic" ball. I don't know a golfer alive who only carries 1 ball in his bag. If I have 10 different balls in my equipment why would they not be available to me to use before having to use the generic balls? If we are being realistic then lets use a realistic approach to using the golf balls. Currently in my real life bag I have mostly Nike golf balls. But I also have Callaway, TaylorMade and a few other random ones collected along the way. I don't think if I lost all of my Nike balls I'd go asking the golf course I'm at to give me generic golf balls to use. I'd take another one out of my bag.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:27 AM

WGT lets you know at the start of a round that you are starting with your last ball and shows you how much durability is left on that ball.

During a round WGT lets you know when you start using your last ball.

In both instances WGT gives you the chance to buy another sleeve of the same make/model of balls so the replacement of a worn out ball can be transparent during the rest of the round.

I suspect you're referring to a situation where the free Starter ball replaces the make/model ball you were playing.

Many players, for a variety of reasons, choose to ignore the Last Ball messages WGT gives and continue on.

Personally, I never have fewer than 3 of my favorite ball equipped in my bag at the start of a game. So unless I leave myself a slim margin of error and risk hitting a ball OB, in the weeds, or OB, there is no chance I will wear out 3 balls during a 9 or 18 hole round.

• nickelsaver
    46 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 5:11 PM

The problem isn't knowing that you are on your last ball, it's not having enough credits to buy more of them.

WGT says that they won't let you simply use any ball in your bag because in real life play players are only allowed to finish a round with the same type of ball you start with. But if this were true, they would not simply replace your ball with the generic free ball but would forfeit your round because you didn't finish with the same ball.

Therefore, if wgt is saying it is ok to finish the round with the generic free ball, it should be equally ok to finish it with any ball in your bag. If not, they should forfeit rounds were players run out of the same ball as started with. They should also then offer the opportunity to purchase the same type of ball rather than forfeit the round AFTER you have used up your last ball.

What they currently have is a compromise which simply does not jibe with real life rules. I would prefer that if you run out of one type of ball, you are able to replace with any ball in your bag. 

Or perhaps an additional compromise. For ranked or scored rounds follow the strict rules of playing the round with only one type of ball (forcing players to pony up the credits at critical moments). But allow replacement of any ball in practice mode, alt shot, or any other mode that does not figure into your average.

I also would like to be able to look at my equipment prior to starting a game and see how much life is left in any of my partially used balls. It makes no sense that I have to start  a game just to see how much life is left in a ball, only to have to forfeit that same game in order to switch balls prior to teeing off.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 1:01 AM

nickelsaver:
    WGT says that they won't let you simply use any ball in your bag [...]

Pardon me, you have only one type of balls in your WGT "bag". The others are in the inventory, comparable to your garage. Unavailable.

nickelsaver:
    [...]because in real life play players are only allowed to finish a round with the same type of ball you start with. But if this were true, they would not simply replace your ball with the generic free ball but would forfeit your round because you didn't finish with the same ball.

Of course they don't want to annoy their clients by such punishment. But there will hardly be any compromise compromising the company's revenue.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Nov 28 2014 9:44 AM

Yep.

We can only 'equip' (drag and drop) our bag with 1 make/model of ball from our inventory before we start a game. Once the game has been started and we are on the first tee we no longer have access to those other balls in our inventory.

nickelsaver:

. . .  because in real life play players are only allowed to finish a round with the same type of ball you start with.

The Rules of Golf allow using more than 1 make/model of ball.

However, the tournament committee can invoked a local Condition of the Competition known as the One Ball Condition.

See the Rules of Golf - Appendix I, Part C,  1., c., (i) and (ii) 

WGT is effectively the tournament committee here.

• nickelsaver
    46 Posts
    Wed, Dec 3 2014 10:30 PM

I dont own a wgt bag, so i did not know that. But it does not change the point i am trying to make.

• nickelsaver
    46 Posts
    Wed, Dec 3 2014 10:35 PM

The Rules of Golf allow using more than 1 make/model of ball.

However, the tournament committee can invoked a local Condition of the Competition known as the One Ball Condition.

See the Rules of Golf - Appendix I, Part C,  1., c., (i) and (ii) 

WGT is effectively the tournament committee here.

WGT is not invoking a one ball condition. It is a two ball condition, the one you started with, or if you should run out of those, then the wgt range ball.

WGT has invoked an entirely different rule than any found in real golf.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Thu, Dec 4 2014 10:53 AM

nickelsaver:

WGT is not invoking a one ball condition. It is a two ball condition, the one you started with, or if you should run out of those, then the wgt range ball.

WGT has invoked an entirely different rule than any found in real golf.

Would you rather us force you to buy more balls or just remove you from the game until you purchase more? 

We replace with the starter ball so you can continue your round.

- WGTdbloshoe

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Dec 4 2014 11:17 AM

Could just let us get another one out of inventory, i have loads of balls with a bit of red left (hits) not enough to start and finish a round so they just stay in my so called bag. Plus is it poss to have the hits sign over my balls (no comments please) so i can see the usage left.

• PAGES
RSS