Forums

Help › Forums

Where WGT is going

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 31 2010 2:31 PM (5 replies)
  • Richard1969
    34 Posts
    Sat, Oct 30 2010 9:41 PM

I started playing this game almost a year ago.  I was amazed at how much potential it had...  and it still does.  While it is a "free" game, and many of the site's users do not spend $$, I'm sure we all realize that the main purpose for those running this site is making money.  And I will never begrudge anyone from making a profit on a well-conceived and well run business.  But for the vast majority of us users, the most important aspect is enjoyment of the game.

My guess is that most of the games played are ranked 9 hole stroke games with other people.  And I have to say that it is VERY difficult to enjoy such a game when up to 90% of the time I am playing the last hole by myself because everyone else decided to quit.  And this is made worse by the fact that many times the person who decides to quit is next to shoot, so the screen locks up and everyone else remaining has no choice but to quit the game themselves instead of waiting around for eternity.  To be fair WGT has done a few things to try and discourage quitting...  i.e. giving experience points for finishing a round, changing the equation for calculating one's average, etc.  But there are other ways to do this, many suggestions have been made via this forum section and I hope some of the better ones will be considered.

It is also not fun playing the same courses over, and Over, and OVER again.  I know it takes a lot of programming hours to make a course ready to be played.  But we need more than we have.  This is why scores have gotten ridiculously low.  Those of us who play alot know every contour and slope of every green and fairway.  Obviously it takes $$ to program more courses so this is my suggestion.  Only certain courses are "free."  Make other courses "premium" courses where one pays a few credits to play.  This will also discourage quitting.  And it will help pay for the costs of creating more courses.

Also, please...  PLEASE develope a driving range and practice green.  To me this is simply a common courtesy and a very easy thing to do for us users.  And it would help the bottom line of those running the site if you were smart...  let us use different equipment and balls on these practice areas so we can see the benefit.  I guarantee more premium equipment will be sold.  But mostly it is a neccesary tool for us players.  One last improvement would be a simple chat room.  It would be very easy to set up and would be an important way for us, as players, to find others to play with, among other things.  There should be 1 main chat room for all users who are online, and there should be 1 for each country club so members can get in games together.

Tournaments could, and in most cases should, be handled differently.  Especially ready-goes.  First of all there are too many, and secondly, they should not be multi- tiered.  Amateurs should be competing against legends, etc.  My suggestion is to offer one, and only ONE, RG at any given time amongst the different tiers.  Once 50 players have signed up, a new RG at a different course would then be available.  This way the competition is fair, and it would be more conducive to implementing more courses into the scheme.

Please understand that I am not complaining, per se.  This is by far the best option on the web for playing computer golf.  There are so many great directions this site could go...  the concept of country clubs was great.  Creating more tiers made the playing field a little more even.  There have been very good improvements, and I am sure there will be more in the future.  My stress to those running this site is to remember that keeping the site fun and exciting is the key to keeping older members, and gaining new members.  Offering point boosting drinks, and forcing us to buy new equipment just to be able to play the same old courses we've played thousands of times is not the way to go about it in my humble opinion.  Creating new courses for stroke and match play, I think, should be the main priority.

My thanks to everyone responsible for running this site.  Mostly, I enjoy it very much and I hope it continues to grow and improve. 

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 3:04 AM

Good post Richard. I pretty much totally agree.

Not sure about the changes to tournaments: very debatable and dilutes the other very important and universally agreed points you made:

Driving range and practice green: Should be very easy and quick to do. it would involve people hitting their balls wgt so would mean more revenue so what's holding you back?

More courses for stroke play: Obviously not easy or quick but long overdue and a few are half-done already. Is it the animated water on them that stops them being used for stroke play? If so, get rid of it. That it's taken this long for Oakmont to be considered for adding to tournaments is ridiculous. No possible excuse for that.

Better handling of disconnects in multiplayer: Should be considered a bug and therefore top priority. The programming would not be difficult to say 'time has run out on current player, have they disconnected? yes, then go to next player's shot'. Discouraging quitting is difficult without punishing the innocent so I wouldn't make it a top priority.

A fairer deal for legends: The best equipment should be Legends only and/or the possibility of being demoted to Tour Master if a Legend is obviously not coping with the handicap (scoring higher than the average TM).

Green speeds in multiplayer: Should be suitable for the lowest ranked tier present not the highest. It punishes low tier players for playing with high tier players.

Any other bug fixes: short putts from the fringe for example.

We can do without more avatars, balls and snacks for now. When these issues are addressed I will invite friends to play here. As things stand I won't.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 9:09 AM

VilaRestal:
    Driving range and practice green: Should be very easy and quick to do.

If we want quick and dirty with lots of complaints and requests for improvements? Then yes it could be easy and fast.  Personally I think it would suck.

Without seeing a definition of what features are expected its hard to say it would be easy or difficult.

Lets take a "driving range"

Do we want only to see a ball fly off into the distance(as in real life) without a close-up of it landing? Or do we need that close-up of the shot to see how much carry and roll we get?

Do we want to replay each shot?

Do we want distance flags to hit at?  How many? what yardages?

Do we want 'mini greens' to hit to?  How many? what yardages?

Do we want to change the green speeds on those mini greens so we can practice hitting onto tournament and championship greens?

Do we want to move left or right or forward and back on the range to change the angle and distance to those mini greens and flags?

Do we want to always hit off a tee?  Or also hit off the fairway, rough, fescue, deep rough, sand, hard sand.......

Is random wind direction and speed OK or do we want to set that?

Do we want the little range cart moving across to hit at?  Do we want rewards for hitting it?

I'm thinking to meet just half those feature WGT will have to go out and photograph a good driving range someplace, do the aerial and topographic surveys and treat it as a new hole on a new course.  Taking an existing teebox/fairway won't be satisfactory.

How about a practice green?

Do we want to just putt or also chip, pitch, flop, punch from off the green too?

Do we want to be able to change the lie when off the green?

Do we want to be able to set it for all the different green speeds?  And change them between sessions or at any time?

Do we want fixed stations to hit from or do we want to be able to place our ball easily for each shot.

Do we want replays?  Do we want multiple shots from the same spot?

How big a green do  we need?  Practice up to 50ft putts OK? 100ft? 150ft?

How many cups?  Is 3 enough? 6? 9?

Do we want only flat gentle slopes?  Some medium breakers?  Or some big breakers too?  How about a cup like the front pin at BPB #15?

Do we need to set the wind speed and direction?

Is there any current green that meets most of these requirements?  If so, would we want "give it up" so there is no mystery to any putt on that green?  If not WGT will need to find one and map and photograph it.

Realize that if every cup location requires photographs at about 10 degree increments through 360 degrees from locations 5 to up to 150 feet from the cup in 10 foot increments then  36x13=468 photos are needed for each cup.  4212 photos for 9 cups.

Or maybe we want to be able to practice to every cup, on any green, on all the courses?

There will be cost/feature trade-offs made in any decision WGT makes.  One thing for sure, not everyone in the community will be 100% satisfied.

Then there's beer in the clubhouse and birds chirping in the background to consider.........

• Richard1969
    34 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 9:29 AM

You make good points.  There are a lot of options for such a thing, but I don't think they need to be too intricate or elaborate.  A relatively flat surface should suffice.  Wind should be present to see the effect it has.  A few sporadic mini-greens would be nice, but not neccesary.  I just want to make a few hits before I start playing for real.  A practice green should have contours, and one should be able to place the ball anywhere they like and take a shot.  I would like to take a few practice putts, chips, flops and pitches before a real game.  But if it's really that difficult I would prefer they spend the time developing new courses for stroke and match play.

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 2:22 PM

Where is it going? Well, no real need to get into that. Another year possibly longer, the site will be out of business. They do not listen to their customers and are rude to their big spenders.

Anyone who can do basic math can calculate that by the time they actually produce clubs and balls that have a desirable effect, you'll be spending in the range of $100 per month. It's humorous how the idiots here defend this scam with comments like, "It's free" or "at least there's no monthly fee." Once you get into the higher tiers, you begin to realize the business logic. The game will be inevitably the most expensive habits you can have next to a cocaine addiction. Do the math.

I used to be one of the biggest spenders here. Today. I don't spend a dime. The only consideration I've received was is in the form of, "We don't need your money. Our sponsors keep us fat." So I'll relay my torch to the sponsors.

TMPC

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, Oct 31 2010 2:31 PM

Here is my good solution for a driving range..

When your creating a game in WGT you have these selections.

Driving range

Ctth

blitz

practice

ranked

Etc.

When you select driving range, this would be a single player only thing.

You would next select conditions (wind green speed etc.)

Select the course you want. Remove the 10 shot limit,

and give the player a drop the ball here tool. Then give them an option for

Do You Want a Mulligan? If the answer is yes it drops the ball

back in the same spot.

If the answer is no, then you place the ball where you want it again.

You also have the option of selecting the next hole. After you hole out a shot or putt.

RSS