Forums

Help › Forums

Need some answers

Sun, Oct 5 2014 1:07 PM (40 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 6:56 PM

JFidanza:
    I have had great games matching the Cally 34s with the Nike 85 irons. I might end up getting them again.

You would do well to heed this advice from Jimbog....

Jimbog1964:
    This is exactly why swapping balls too often is bad as it gets very confusing at the best of times,

I see the above Cally 34s & Nike 85 combo

And on your profile page recent scorecards with

Cally 37s & Nike 85 combo

Nike 61s & Nike 85 combo

Nike red 42s & G25 L59 combo

Cally 37s & TM GSP (?Speedblades?) combo

All combos used in the last 2 weeks!

Its very hard to get dialed in and be consistent when switching balls AND clubs.

And to be honest, it shows in your scores.  With those clubs (BB Alpha L96 dvr, BB 3W, L85 VF Nike's, etc) from the Master tees you should be shooting better than you are.

I'd say choose the clubs and ball combo you like and stick with them for a month and see what happens.

However, if experimenting with different equipment is what is fun for you, by all means continue and ignore this grumpy old man.  ;o)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:32 PM

re: 'Clubs'

Yea,  the Nikes irons in the hands of a player of 9 months were no magic wand and it was like giving a Cray computer to a 1st grader, so I got the G25 L59 (almost 40 levels below mine) and they helped me lower my average quickly from approx. 70 to 65.8. I like the 85s on Pinehurst as the Pings were all over, I'll try maybe in the future with the G25s.

I thought the Cally 37 yellows were great out of the gate, my next purchase of them it seemed the meter was a wee bit faster so I cleared my flash. The Nike 42s from WGT nation were blessed but I'll probably try the Nike 61, again,  as fmagnets uses and suggested.  

9 hole games had scores under par using a wide range for me to choose from:

Call 33 + Nike irons = 6 under; Nike 61 + G25 = 4 under; Call 37 + Nike 85 = 8 under; Nike 42 + G25 = 6 under; Call 34 + Nike 85 = 5 under

But 4 of 5 of the 18 hole games were using the Ping G25 + Call 37 and they were all around even par. I blew it off but now I'm wondering what balls and irons I should stick with for the time being.

I just realized the yellow 37 + Nike 85 mix well for me (not with the G25) . The Ping L59 work well when using the N 42, 61.

The Ping's slower meter are better for twitch streaming because of the lag so I might have to learn to apply them as well as the Nikes.

So,

G25 + Nike 61

Nike 85s + Yellow 37

Nike 97s  + Nike 61  I just got another sleeve.  Final testing phase.

edit: RSG full 18 with the nike 85i and the Cally 37 yellow, 5 under so I struggled with the quick putts but the distances match great on my end; I wasn't surprised. The meter is moderate in speed, no issues. But I won't stream live w/ G25 and Call 37 at all. (Nike 61 for the Pings)

JFidanza:

I'm sure others have had a similar experience.

My first response to the OP, showing that a 'weird meter' along with the loss of proshop balls can be a common, heated issue in the forums. 

rollone:

that when shooting a great 18 hole round the stupid meter always screws up and viola! expensive nike ball of course gone. meter has been working just fine through 12 holes and out of blue just &*(*& up.  its bad enough I struggle without the extra BS.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:20 AM

andyson:
    I'd say choose the clubs and ball combo you like and stick with them for a month and see what happens.

+1 for that. At least a couple of weeks. Conditions change frequently as do your daily moods and your game is affected. Throw in the compound variables of several different ball/club combos and you're setting yourself up for inconsistency.

Aside from the technical attribute comments, deviation has a play here, too. The better the ball the more it hurts when you miss. Balls like the L34 and the L33 I use will let you get away with mishits and still get decent results. They have more than enough of what you need to compete, IMO, but knowing what you're hitting inside and out will do wonders for your game. And your mood, too.  ;-)

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:32 AM

Well as someone who's spent literally hundreds of dollars on various clubs for various reasons. I can say, from my own experience, that sticking with a set of irons and wedges and putter for more than two months has a huge impact on scoring, once you learn how to use them 

I've bought and sold the top Cleveland's more times than I can remember, after flailing around with them and then pitching them in the weeds I finally decided to 'learn' how to use them, now I know why they're used by so many 'top' players. Same with the R11's, love 'em / hate 'em  - rinse repeat. Making myself keep and learn to use them, starting to pay off. I will keep them until L97 then the Nike's just seem a logical upgrade, unless by then they've introduced a new set of irons to compete. Mizuno??

Rossa? Well I love it and as a 'miss the ding' putter it works well for me most days.

I try and heed Mr. Bog's 'ball' advice, well most of his advice actually, and try not to load in different balls all the time, still working on that one. I do find that depending on if I'm playing AS rounds with a TL and champs I'll use a certain ball, because of putting. 

I honestly don't think you can use just one ball here, I think the game plays vastly different depending on the ball used on certain courses. In saying that, I think it's good to stick to one type of Nike, one Cally etc.... not loading up 9 different Nike balls over the course of a day. That just makes 'learning' to play the game here really difficult imho anyway. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:02 AM

dedBuNNy:
    I think the game plays vastly different depending on the ball used on certain courses.

Well once settled in to a tier I guess each to their own and fair enough.  The time I might consider a different would be if I usually used say a L61 Nike. then Par 5s (if separately learned) I might put in a L90 for the extra stopping power (might as even then I could see confusion).

Some holes play different anyway and different balls (and even way worse &/or clubs as said elsewhere in this thread) just complicates things.  Far better to stick to one good ball / club combo and learn everything with that - IMO.

dedBuNNy:
    if I'm playing AS rounds with a TL and champs I'll use a certain ball, because of putting

IMO If I have the sound on I think say the L34 cally putts differently to say the L90 Nike.  Not sure why but somehow, lol.  Now turn the sound of I realise the sound was different (perceive maybe without stricter testing) for both, and they then feel exactly the same. 

• bobby58lucas
    163 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 1:35 PM

Funny how my original post was about dodgy meters and now four pages later we are talking about balls.

Talk about Chinese Whispers. I suppose given another few pages we will be discussing whodunnit. my guess is professor plum with the 3 iron, in the bunker.

All good fun and interesting posts anyway

• terwyl1
    1,011 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 1:49 PM

Very funny I must say.

Actually I started off a post Callaway L34 that was talking about balls. I am really not sure how that slipped across onto your post, but I have continued answering regardless.

Could make the Forum damned complicated in future!!   lol

Terry

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 4:12 PM

bobby58lucas:

Funny how my original post was about dodgy meters and now four pages later we are talking about balls.

All good fun and interesting posts anyway

The subject about balls (and their meter speed) and the issues with meter/gameplay may  always be indissolubly coupled. Unless it's the occasional computer trouble, a great matching set of clubs to balls is one way to help deal with the normal game programming. All by design, understandably. 

IMO I think there is a lot of info here and your question has been addressed. It's 1) computer issue 2) WGT programming.

There are posted links to info with responses addressing a few things: 

What the meter issues might be if a computer problem, and how to alleviate those issues.

What are some observations of meter dispositions when it is VEM, and when does it usually happen. *

Some suggestions on how to match clubs to balls of proper spin & meter to deal with challenging game programming and power bar performance.

* http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/237554/1716222.aspx#1716222

Happy hitting.

ps I remember I started a thread with questions about proshop balls, and although I got some responses, most of them were vague and it ended up suggesting "Why don't you just buy some of the balls and test them for yourself"

..and here I am.

• KlamityJ
    14 Posts
    Sun, Oct 5 2014 9:21 AM

Didn't know how or where to post my question :)  BUT here it is.  Am fairly new (6 weeks) and quickly got down from 90 to 76 and made pro 2 weeks ago.  However, after a couple of days my average shot up to 88+???????.  Is this norm??  Am playing some good alternate play matches.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Oct 5 2014 1:07 PM

KlamityJ:

Didn't know how or where to post my question :)  BUT here it is.  Am fairly new (6 weeks) and quickly got down from 90 to 76 and made pro 2 weeks ago.  However, after a couple of days my average shot up to 88+???????.  Is this norm??  Am playing some good alternate play matches.

yes, very normal.   you get elevated,  the games gets harder.  my nickle.

RSS