Ball usage meter

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 4 2014 9:55 AM (26 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 6:39 AM

alanti:

CerinoDevoti:
    I set up a practice round just to look at the ball life meter. I don't tee off just have a peek and then decide if I want to use one of the odd balls in the bag.

Good point but these are just workarounds - the fact is how difficult can it be to be allowed to change the ball before you tee off?

Easy fix with minimal coding I would have thought.

Minimal code is a relative term. As others have now mentioned, anything can go wrong when they fix something. Sometimes I'd rather deal with the workaround than the problems following a fix. ;)

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 9:05 AM

Open a Notepad page on your computer, a Word document, or start an Excel page.

At the end of each round you play note how much life is left in the ball you played.

As a one time deal, you can use practice mode to note how much life each ball make/model has left and go through your entire ball inventory to create the Notepad or Word file of your entire inventory.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 12:10 PM

...or you could not play yourself down to the last ball, thus creating the problem.

Do you leave 5 or 6 sheets of toilet paper on the last roll in the bathroom without having a spare roll, on the assumption that you don't have an "emergency"?

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 12:35 PM

MichaelStroke:

Do you leave 5 or 6 sheets of toilet paper on the last roll in the bathroom without having a spare roll, on the assumption that you don't have an "emergency"?

No, but I am allowed to use the new brand I intend to switch to during the same sitting.

There is no reason other than WGT greed for a person not to be able to switch golf balls during a practice round.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 1:16 PM

srellim234:

MichaelStroke:

No, but I am allowed to use the new brand I intend to switch to during the same sitting.

There is no reason other than WGT greed for a person not to be able to switch golf balls during a practice round.

Well, let me ask this - what if you have multiple types of balls in your bag?  You're assuming that WGT is reading your mind.  They could randomly switch you to the Fourth of July ball you never touched, or that Play 9 ball collecting dust.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 1:26 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Minimal code is a relative term. As others have now mentioned, anything can go wrong when they fix something. Sometimes I'd rather deal with the workaround than the problems following a fix. ;)

CD, I know what you are saying, but expecting paying customers to create their own workarounds is an unacceptable way to run a business.

Fundamentally, as end users, we should not be making excuses for their flaws.

From what you are saying, this would also stop ALL development of the product because you do not have sufficient faith in your programming team.

Yes the platform itself has limitations, but by stopping all development or implementing improvements will severely stagnate the company growth, in fact would be the death knell IMO.

The company should listen to their customers and make improvements, but unlike seems the case now, they must fully test every aspect of the game before a release.

If the current programmers are not capable of making improvements, then quite simply they should not be employed.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 4:09 PM

Devil's advocate .... what if, WGT's stats indicate that having the Buy Now pop up actually regenerates satisfactory ball sales. We only hear displeasure from those who do not use the Buy Now.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 6:04 PM

MichaelStroke:

Well, let me ask this - what if you have multiple types of balls in your bag?  You're assuming that WGT is reading your mind.  They could randomly switch you to the Fourth of July ball you never touched, or that Play 9 ball collecting dust.

I'm not assuming WGT is reading my mind at all, Michael. In your example I might have purchased multiple brands of toilet paper and stocked them in the cupboard. When the current roll runs out I can select any brand in the cupboard to replace it. The same should apply to golf balls during practice rounds here. That replacement should be a user decision.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 6:56 PM

alanti:

CerinoDevoti:

CD, I know what you are saying, but expecting paying customers to create their own workarounds is an unacceptable way to run a business.

Fundamentally, as end users, we should not be making excuses for their flaws.

From what you are saying, this would also stop ALL development of the product because you do not have sufficient faith in your programming team.

Yes the platform itself has limitations, but by stopping all development or implementing improvements will severely stagnate the company growth, in fact would be the death knell IMO.

The company should listen to their customers and make improvements, but unlike seems the case now, they must fully test every aspect of the game before a release.

If the current programmers are not capable of making improvements, then quite simply they should not be employed.

I use every workaround I can think of while using this site. Like most I could give a very long list of my ideas on improvement but while that's taking place, I still just do what I have to do. Some they've "fixed" while others they ignore. I workaround what they ignore and live with it. Life is too short to wait while I see a way to adapt, overcome and improvise.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 7:17 PM

srellim234:

MichaelStroke:

I'm not assuming WGT is reading my mind at all, Michael. In your example I might have purchased multiple brands of toilet paper and stocked them in the cupboard. When the current roll runs out I can select any brand in the cupboard to replace it. The same should apply to golf balls during practice rounds here. That replacement should be a user decision.

This anology holds the truth.

There are some "free spots" for clubs in the bag, why not have a few spots for balls, too? First spot empty, the game might take from the second spot, and any coveted logo ball stays untouched, in the inventory.

RSS