Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Forged 85 Irons

Mon, Sep 22 2014 11:53 PM (24 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:56 AM

Interesting...I loved my Max L-94 set, except the 3 iron is at 215 yds. So, I sold them and purchased the Nike VR L-85 based upon the printed 3 iron at 225 yds and the other descriptions. I likewise found them greatly wanting (lacking) in being steadfast to their details. I sold them and repurchased the Max set. This was at a time when I was at L-97, but I was shy on the 3.0 meter speed of the Nike VR L-97. I went ahead and bought them anyway a couple of weeks ago and am entirely impressed. They are accurate in every concern...wonderful ! And the 3.0 is just fine...3.5 would be better though ;-}  

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 12:08 PM

Doitfaster:

I worked my tail off to get to those irons (level 85 nike)..   I'm very disappointed in my first trip out to start getting some distances.  The statement about no true distances is FALSE.

when your in practice mode and hit the same shot over and over and over again, ding it every time and still have variations of 6 to 10 yards.. thats just pitiful for 40 bucks.   

I found that sheet where the guy mapped these irons ( I was gonna send him a couple sleeves of balls...  But,  it's not even close?  Impressive but so far off on the distance.

Ya think wgt has changed something on these irons,  Worst set I've had so far, very disappointed. and frustrated....

Cheers.

The ball you use can make a big difference. Another thing is it takes a while longer to get used to the better clubs. I've been months with the L97 Nikes and I'm still scratching my head half the time. GL

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 12:25 PM

I went back to using the cheap slow meter cally's and it helped me a lot.. you'd really need to put in a lot of work to dial those Nike's in with all the spin they have. The 2 dots of spin on the L1 cally's is plenty enough with a good set of irons too.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 5:08 PM

Doitfaster:

I worked my tail off to get to those irons (level 85 nike)..   I'm very disappointed in my first trip out to start getting some distances.  

My guess** is that they may take 2-5 weeks to mellow out. It's the effect that I believe WGTicon calls the 'adjustment time' and my new clubs usually never instantly perform at peak, unless maybe it's a one day rental ( with exceptions ).

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/256015/1847997.aspx#1847997

WGTicon:

I can assure you, they are the same clubs, but as others have said, they all have adjustment time:)

-wgticon

I like the 85s with the Callaway yellow L37 ball, great price. The 85s are my choice on Pinehurst, as well.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:51 PM

I gave the Nike 85s a chance at one of the top hated courses - Kiawah for a full 18.

Now I've had these clubs for a few months and I'd say they've mellowed out, and with the Cally 37 yellow and the high loft of the irons, I'm happy with the results.

I cleared the flash as some have suggested on the turnaround and re-started. No weird stuff happened on the back nine.

Mapping the 3 and 4 iron and the PW is a good idea, at minimum, IMO.

(The TM Spider L92 is my choice for the canted greens on Kia so I like to off-ding on some slopes, especially because I'll play with some haste)

• Doitfaster
    445 Posts
    Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:56 PM

I had to come back here to update on my nike irons and apologize for my quick, negative comments as. I was wrong....... ( yes, I said it, I was wrong )  First, I want to say thank you to WGT for releasing my post. It says a lot when your willing to accept constructive criticism and posts that are negative as mine was..   So, props to WGT !!

I simply assumed after playing so hard and making it to level 85, these Irons should perform magic!!  lol ...   Well, they didnt the first day, however are beginning to !!!!  I am posting some of my best scores yet after finally adjusting to the new 85 nike's   The comment about giving them a little time to brake in was SPOT ON !!  So thank you for that!!

I'm sure I'll stick with these irons well through the 90 levels.  The 2.5 and 3.0 meter speed of the higher iron sets scares me to death!! 

So Again,  Thanks for letting me vent, Thanks for the advice, And Thanks to Wgt for the Post.

All, much appreciated!!!!!

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 7:17 AM

I got them for the meter over the R11's, they're all over the map for the most part, I have found you need to stick to one ball type if you can to have any hope of something resembling consistency with them. 

Reality is they're all (irons) just a carry over until you hit L97 and get the Nike's. 

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 9:44 AM

ISH47:

I went back to using the cheap slow meter cally's and it helped me a lot.. you'd really need to put in a lot of work to dial those Nike's in with all the spin they have. The 2 dots of spin on the L1 cally's is plenty enough with a good set of irons too.

The thing is, holes like #9 Oakmont become routine birdies with the high level Nike balls

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 12:54 PM

derekortt:
    The thing is, holes like #9 Oakmont become routine birdies with the high level Nike balls

Yep, once you get the irons mapped with the balls.. All I was saying was the cheap balls with less spin don't require as much work and math to get you close to the pin. They might not stop on a dime, but they don't usually sail 20 yds past the hole either. The Nike's are clearly the better option.. but they're not for everyone.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 1:09 PM

dedBuNNy:

I got them for the meter over the R11's, they're all over the map for the most part . . . 

Same here. 12 days later I sold the L85+ Nike iron set back to the pro shop.

RSS