Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Forged 85 Irons

Mon, Sep 22 2014 11:53 PM (24 replies)
  • parish1
    20 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 2:11 PM

Not getting true yardage on these new irons. Always long on shots beyond wedge stated distance.My old irons were true to distance.

What am I doing wrong?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:28 PM

It takes time to get used to new irons. The better ones will hit further than stated distance with better golf balls pretty easily. Time and some practice rounds to dial in the added distance and you'll be fine. GL. :)

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:43 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    It takes time to get used to new irons.

+1 take them out to BPB back nine and a few sleeves of balls get them mapped and you'll be hitting closer by the day 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 7:15 PM

IMHO most all my new clubs take over 2 weeks to 'break in'. I stay true to my first calculations and find some equipment may take 5 weeks to mellow out. Maybe it's just in my head , but I like the 85s usually (with the 3.5 meter that works w/ the ATV meters BTW

Spin adj. and spin rating on the balls seem to have great importance w/ the nikes.

bhoese did precision test suggesting that the 85s Midlevel Nike Vr set came in with the best result so far 'even better than the 97s'.

But results vary and clubs react along w/ skill level of the individual player. That's what is cool about WGT, in my view.

The 85s were behaving well today at PH (w/ Call. 33 balls, thanks to SweetiePie) but my putting missed a few Eagles.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 7:18 PM
  • spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 7:18 PM
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 7:26 PM

parish1:

Not getting true yardage on these new irons. Always long on shots beyond wedge stated distance.My old irons were true to distance.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.

There is no 'true yardage', because yardage varies by many factors like - the make/model of ball played, ball spin setting, elevation change, wind speed and wind angle, the lie of the ball, topography where the ball lands and what the ball lands on - fairway, rough, sand, or a green.

So the stated yardages are just a rough estimate, not gospel. 

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 8:14 PM

ApexPC:

parish1:

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.

There is no 'true yardage', because yardage varies by many factors like - the make/model of ball played, ball spin setting, elevation change, wind speed and wind angle, the lie of the ball, topography where the ball lands and what the ball lands on - fairway, rough, sand, or a green.

So the stated yardages are just a rough estimate, not gospel. 

Pro shop states AVG DISTANCE ....not true distance lol

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 8:26 AM

parish1:

What am I doing wrong?

You will only get the stated yardage if you apply full backspin. At least that's how it works for me using the level 90 Nike RZN balls. The beauty, here, is that by varying the backspin, you can control the distance within approximately a 15 yard range. For lesser balls, that range would be smaller.

• Doitfaster
    445 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:09 AM

I worked my tail off to get to those irons (level 85 nike)..   I'm very disappointed in my first trip out to start getting some distances.  The statement about no true distances is FALSE.

when your in practice mode and hit the same shot over and over and over again, ding it every time and still have variations of 6 to 10 yards.. thats just pitiful for 40 bucks.   

I found that sheet where the guy mapped these irons ( I was gonna send him a couple sleeves of balls...  But,  it's not even close?  Impressive but so far off on the distance.

Ya think wgt has changed something on these irons,  Worst set I've had so far, very disappointed. and frustrated....

Cheers.

RSS