Forums

Help › Forums

should i upgrade my irons ?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 31 2014 9:40 PM (6 replies)
  • RSchulz5
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 9:31 AM

currently using the lvl 85 Nikes. I use the lvl 71 20XI balls. I have some inconsistencies in the mouse AND aiming. sometimes the swing meter seems to speed up the closer I get to the ding. end up with a lot of late hits.

I can plan around that with some aiming changes but it gives inconsistent distances. I am now lvl 90 and can get the R11 clubs. worth it with my issues ?? anyone chime in.

thanks  

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:16 AM

If hitting the ding is an issue then the R11 irons will probably make things worse since they have a faster meter.

They are very good clubs but the meter is pretty quick.

This is meter fix 101 but have you cleared your Flash cache recently?  It can make a difference.

• DrSlick
    142 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:52 AM

I could never get used to the L85s. I scored better with the L79 Bladez than I did with the L85s. Others will tell you differently as well. I shot well with the L85s, but the scores in the upper 50s and upper 20s seemed to go away with them. I shot best with the L85s with 3.5 spin balls or less however. 

The R11s did take some time to get used to. I played a bunch of rounds with starter balls and cheaper wgt balls and it then made the 250 credit Callys and now the L48Nikes which I currently play much easier to handle. 

I find I can miss the ding (in to the wind) by a significant amount and still get a nice result. They are far more forgiving than what I read. But again, it may be the way I play and aim and the simple fact they fit my style. 

The long iron play of the R11s simply puts them over the top of the L85s in my mind. I think it would be tough to make a decision with the r11s over the course of a free rental weekend. I have had the r11s for some time and I am still learning how to play them better each day. 

Doc

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 12:26 PM

RSchulz5:
    currently using the lvl 85 Nikes.

These are high trajectory with quite a bit of spin.  

RSchulz5:
    I use the lvl 71 20XI balls.

These are not the slowest meter, and are high spin.

As said already (without double checking) the L90 irons will not increase your dinging.  That faster meter is not for all.

RSchulz5:
    inconsistent distances

OK so we have good spin, high trajectory clubs with high spin balls.  You are playing some high end gear.  In all honesty the problem is with your shot settings.  You are playing with equipment that offers great accuracy, but ONLY if you understand every spin setting of the ball and have your clubs fully mapped with them, which is obviously not happening fully?  

Wind / elevation calcs need to be sound too, but if they were not that would be a cause of poor distance results with anything, just exacerbated even more with your high end equipment.

Solution:

You have very good clubs already, no need to change there, but the ball is defeating you hardware wise.  

Therefore change the Nike ball to a slow meter L34 Cally.  It will not be as demanding with such exact pixel settings needed (distances even with dings / separately veering off with slight misses) compared to the Nike.  The L33 Cally is a great ball too but a slightly faster meter than the L34.  Whatever club / ball combo you decide on stick to only that.

After that fully map your irons at Beth B9 low wind (cross wind) practice mode.  Use #10 for long irons and count only dings.  Personally I would use neutral spin, 97.5% BS, and 95% BS.  Count only dings, and take the average of at least 5 dings per shot you want to map.  #11 I would map short irons, and 12 check both again if wish.  The ball change will help anyway, and then the more effort you put in to the rest the more you get back. 

Pretty sure that will sort you:)...get to shooting sub 30s often, and then perhaps look at even better irons / even ball.  I am a gear freak but many shoot great with that L33 Cally. Come a free rental have a look at the even higher spin R11s, but seriously doubt you want either them or a Nike ball just yet.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 1:30 AM

+110% to what Jim says.

• DrSlick
    142 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 5:09 PM

alanti:

+110% to what Jim says.

That's all? Well, that certainly leaves room for doubt for the OP - lol - jk

It also comes down to credits. If credits are not an issue at all - I would start the learning curve of the r11s sooner rather than later as you can really tweak how you play them depending on your game play style. 

• nicka420
    873 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 9:40 PM

for what its worth i have been playing level 90 r11s for a long time, i am level 95 almost 96 and i just switched to the level 85 nikes and i love them.

RSS